Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Glucosimine #101

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Glucosimine #101

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-20, 05:36 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
Glucosimine #101

search took me down the path and I have a very limited tolerance for things not to my point. to wit:

#1 . what does glucosamine do (short term)?

#B . what are long term affects of using?

#3 . why do I feel better riding when I take it mid-point (25 mile ride/ no pressure to perform)?

thanks

Last edited by southpier; 05-18-20 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-17-20, 03:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
3) It is a type of carbohydrate. So you might be just replenishing some of your expended energy stores.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-17-20, 10:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier
search took me down the path and I have a very limited tolerance for things not to my point. to wit:

#1 . what does glucosamine do (short term)?

#B . what are long term affects of using?

#3 . why do I feel better riding when I take it mid-point (25 mile ride/ no pressure to perform)?

thanks
Well, first of all there are two forms of glucosamine on the market: glucosamine sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride. There are no studies of the hydrochloride form which show that it does anything. The studies of the sulfate form are more complicated. Some show benefit, others don't. This difference between the two forms makes me wonder if it's the glucosamine or the sulfur which helps. However, like all nutritional and supplement studies, researcher bias is a big factor. So from the studies, the best one can say is: Maybe. So . . .

1) AFAIK, nothing. That's the exact problem with many of these studies, which makes me say bias. It's silliness to think something like this will work right away.

2) The plural of anecdote is not data. That said, my wife and I have been using it for maybe 35 years, I don't remember exactly. We've both had knee problems from time to time. While taking it, our knees always got better. IME it takes about 6 weeks to notice anything, taking 2g/day. I had a knee scoped for a meniscus snip about 12 years ago (I'm 74). The doc said my cartilage was perfect. I bike, hike, backpack, run, Alpine ski, etc. Neither of us have any of the osteoarthritic knee issues folks our age usually have.

3) The most powerful effect of any substance is usually placebo. Faith healing works, but only if you know you're being prayed over. If you don't know, no effect. I think glucosamine sulfate works. I'm pretty sure 1 dose does exactly nothing except for placebo. There's too little for any dietary effect, that's for sure. I go through about 60g/hr. of carbs on a hard ride.

MSM is another good supplement for the knees. 1g/day, in the evening. I cap my own to save money.
Old 05-18-20, 03:23 AM
southpier

well. I the fool..... maybe it's the same thing but finally reading the label with my glasses on yielded GLUCOSE tablets. https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-...-prodid-149650

tried to edit title w/ no luck.

anyway, used them again yesterday with positive results. thanks for the replies.
Old 05-18-20, 05:41 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier
well. I the fool..... maybe it's the same thing but finally reading the label with my glasses on yielded GLUCOSE tablets. https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-...-prodid-149650
...............tried to edit title w/ no luck.
anyway, used them again yesterday with positive results. thanks for the replies.
To quote Dr. George Sheehan >>> “We are each an experiment of one. A unique, never-to-be repeated event.”

https://www.georgesheehan.com/bio

Whatever floats your boat. Glad it works 4 U. Keep on biking.
Old 05-18-20, 10:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

4 grams of carbs per tablet, so I guess you are getting about 16 Calories from one tablet. Not a lot, but still a treat. Do you get carbs from anything else during your ride?

I put all my Calories in my water bottle which I take a gulp or two of every ten minutes. Roughly a 150 Calories in 24 ounces of water. Sometimes less sometimes more. For long rides at about the 50 mile mark, I do like to toss down a 1 oz box of raisins. That gives me another 100 Calories in a short time and I feel it gives me a boost as well as a "treat" to look forward to during the long ride.

My son and others like to use gels and such during a ride. Same thing, lots of easily absorbed Calories to help add to the diminishing glycogen stores.
Old 05-18-20, 11:12 AM
southpier

when I first started to ride (after a 12 year hiatus) in 2014 I was having pains in my arms & chest. doctor sent me for stress test with radio active iv and nothing showed. I was also eating a few minutes before riding . . . .

so now I ride a minimum of 2 hours after eating and never have those pains. i'll bring 3 dried apricots (and water) for half way on a 22 - 24 mile ride and last year that was fine as far as cramping & energy. but wanting to have more fun and less than an ordeal, I tried the glucose tabs. I've only ridden 6 times this year (actually in the past 10 days) so long term I don't know how i'll fare for the season, but willing to try stuff.
Old 05-18-20, 12:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Dried apricots.... those are great. Used to get some when I went shopping with my wife and we'd pass by them on a end-cap in the produce section. It's been a while since I've seen them. I guess they went out of style here, I'll have to look for some since you've got my taster wanting them.

Used to have a couple apricot trees in the yard when I was growing up in farm areas of Worth IL that are now Chicago sprawl.