Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Hi, I'm Bluesfrog!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Hi, I'm Bluesfrog!

Old 05-30-20, 04:10 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Hi, I'm Bluesfrog!

Not new to this forum but semi-retired and I think I will pull the plug next September. I almost need a support group. I sometimes miss my buddies at work. But most of all I miss the commute. I get out to ride only a few times a week. I always feel better if I get six to ten miles a day minimum. Anyone else new to not having to commute? I need to get dedicated again. Just so you know I am tired of working in a prison and the kind of people you see everyday. PTSD runs rampant in the old guys' club. It is an occupational hazard. 23 years inside the chain links is too many. But I am convinced the ride to and from work made me able to continue. Woe to the man who tried to tell me I couldn't commute! It wouldn't have been a good day for me or him. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Likes For Bluesfrog:
Old 05-30-20, 05:39 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
I retired a few years back and have tried to incorporate the bike into all my activities. I work part time and commute to that job by bike. I also do grocery runs and have a trailer for hauling stuff by bike. Its all a great time and great exercise. I particularly enjoy bike camping. Actually I'm leaving for an overnighter in an hour or so.

Cheers!
Old 05-30-20, 06:26 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Ha ha ha, retirement! That'll be the day
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-01-20, 07:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
Anyone else new to not having to commute?
Are you kidding? Haven't you heard of the pandemic where 25% of the people are out of work and whatever can be done at home must be done at home?

So yes, I'm suffering the same thing. A week ago, I started a practice of riding every day before I start my coursework. (I'm back in college.) A few weeks earlier, I started doing yoga twice a week. You have to do stuff like this. The bike commute made it easier.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-01-20, 07:50 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Yeah, I retired last Fall. Retired to a place that has hundreds of miles of paved bike trails. They are too packed for me to be comfortable riding with the pandemic. So I ride the roads around here and the paved paths at night for now.