Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Two different top-mount shifter bosses? Really?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 11:32 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts

Who knew? Both these bikes came with Suntour top mount shifters with braze-on mounts. Same year. First one is an '84 Miyata Seven Ten. Second one is an '84 Schwinn Le Tour.

A shifter mount for the first type will obviously not fit the second type of boss. Square peg in a round hole, literally. It looks like MAYBE a mount from the second type would fit the first type of boss.

Question is, why? The Miyata was no doubt a more expensive bike BITD than the Schwinn, so presumably it got a higher-end version of the shifters. So was it intentional not to allow someone to mount a higher-end shifter on the lower-end frame?

I guess it's obvious that my only option for the Schwinn, unless I do something drastic like round off the corners of the mount, would be to find a mount with a square cavity. I guess I'm just wondering what the rationale for this would have been.
Old 06-01-20, 11:35 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Symmetric shifters had the cam auto front trim mechanism, the second boss type.
Old 06-02-20, 06:54 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I think the first one tended to twist, and counted on the concavity backwards tube-grabbing principle, which was less than satisfactory. So they went square. Then Klein really tossed a wrench into it.

Shoulda bought an Ironman.
Old 06-02-20, 07:15 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Yeah, I think I see that in a pic of one for sale on the 'Bay. How well does that system work, BTW?

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I think the first one tended to twist, and counted on the concavity backwards tube-grabbing principle, which was less than satisfactory. So they went square. Then Klein really tossed a wrench into it.
Yeah a square mount does make sense, in that regard.

Shoulda bought an Ironman.
Um, I did. In fact, the day I picked up the IM, the shop dude talked me into buying three old frames, including the LeTour.

Last edited by madpogue; 06-02-20 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-02-20, 10:11 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Originally Posted by madpogue
Yeah, I think I see that in a pic of one for sale on the 'Bay. How well does that system work, BTW?
It's actually effective, and the shifters themselves are pretty smooth. If you come across a spare set of shifters, you can butcher them to make a cable stop and mount bar ends or brifters, and there is a thread on these forums to show how. The only drawback is that the mounting bolts for the shifters are hex bolts, not d-rings, so you have to have a tool with you to adjust tension lest they loosen.
Old 06-02-20, 10:25 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
I am pretty certain the Miyata is for a Superbe shifter, the Schwinn for the auto-trim. My custom has a boss for the Superbe. (It doesn't look quite like either because the builder simply made a titanium boss to fit the shifter I gave him. He didn't go on-line to see what it was "supposed" to look like. (It's been rock solid for 12 years so I'm not complaining.)

This isn't about Miyata and Schwinn, Each just built their bikes to accommodate what SunTour made. This is one of the very few times when I wonder "what was SunTour thinking when they designed those shifters to different mounts?

Edit: I've used both shifters. The auto-trims are sublime in feel. The front derailleur cable pull acts like the Simplex Retro (?- I never had thenm and forget what they are called) with the opposing spring in the lever. Very little pressure needed to shift in back. That is as nice as the auto-trim, The Superbes are just the finest straight friction sifters ever made.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-02-20 at 10:30 AM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-02-20, 10:32 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have a small collection of symmetric shifters. I'll have to dig them out and look at the mounts.

Old 06-02-20, 10:47 AM
noobinsf 

Oh, and if you think you can mount Shimano top-mount shifters on the square boss... the Shimano square boss of the era has different dimensions, about a mm smaller on each side. I think these aero mount shifters simply didn't have the chance to mature and drift toward standardization since other ideas came along. They just petered out instead.
Old 06-02-20, 02:02 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Oh, and if you think you can mount Shimano top-mount shifters on the square boss... the Shimano square boss of the era has different dimensions, about a mm smaller on each side. I think these aero mount shifters simply didn't have the chance to mature and drift toward standardization since other ideas came along. They just petered out instead.
Shimano downtube side shifter brazeons were also different from Campagnolo and Suntour at one time and thus the shifters weren't interchangeable. On top ofthat the Shimano ones used a 4.5mm bolt instead of the more common 5mm bolt. Then Shimano finally got on board with what Campagnolo and Suntour were using.

Cheers
Old 06-02-20, 04:45 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Wasn't there also a top mount shifter boss that the shifters threaded into? it kind of looked like a Miyata rack eyelet- but where DT shifters would be.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-02-20, 09:51 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
This isn't about Miyata and Schwinn, Each just built their bikes to accommodate what SunTour made. This is one of the very few times when I wonder "what was SunTour thinking when they designed those shifters to different mounts?
Yeah, I knew it wasn't about the bike brand, that was just for context. I just posted because I had the same thought -- what were they thinking?

Edit: I've used both shifters. The auto-trims are sublime in feel. The front derailleur cable pull acts like the Simplex Retro (?- I never had thenm and forget what they are called) with the opposing spring in the lever. Very little pressure needed to shift in back. That is as nice as the auto-trim, The Superbes are just the finest straight friction sifters ever made.
Interesting, thanks for the feedback (pun slightly intended).
Old 06-02-20, 10:14 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Word to the wise about the Symmetric mounts (#2), especially on Schwinns: They weren't always brazed to the frame well. This problem is compounded as Schwinn did not drill the frame tubing below the boss. Any bolt substitution in excess of the factory Suntour length (the Suntour bolt may even be an issue) may bottom out on the frame, causing the braze-on to get pulled up as if it were being jacked up from the bottom, and possibly snap.

If I seriously considered keeping any frame with this sort of braze on, I'd drill a hole a few sizes smaller through the tube (being super careful not to nick the threads), then file it open until flush with the threads - at which point I'd then tap the whole thing, fairly confident that it wouldn't pop off during the tapping.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-03-20, 12:00 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by cudak888
Word to the wise about the Symmetric mounts (#2), especially on Schwinns: They weren't always brazed to the frame well. This problem is compounded as Schwinn did not drill the frame tubing below the boss. Any bolt substitution in excess of the factory Suntour length (the Suntour bolt may even be an issue) may bottom out on the frame, causing the braze-on to get pulled up as if it were being jacked up from the bottom, and possibly snap.
Picturing this .
Old 06-03-20, 12:32 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Or - measure how deep the bolt hole is, shoulder to tube, then how long the bolt is. Maybe file a little bolt off if it is close. (I've never run into this and didn't know it until now. My Symmetric was on a clamp band and my Superbe is on a custom where the builder had it in his hand when he made the mount. (And it's welded titanium, I doubt its going anywhere.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-03-20, 01:41 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts

Having spent a looking afternoon last week figuring out that Suntour "endless band" friction shifters have some parts which make some of the shift levers not interchangable and on the aero version, even the bodies cannot be swapped without doing some "modification".

Perhaps a highly developed sense of irony was intrinsic to what made Suntour engineers so unique. Or perhaps it was Suntour's marketing department, frustrated with the way their brilliant engineers would create a marvelous product, and them add another layer of complexity, one only appreciated by fellow engineers.

SYMMETRIC Shifters? HA, HA... That was a long afternoon, I didn't get the final adjustments done in time for a test ride! All I wanted was to use the light and elegant 2 hole regular shifters on the rounded, less clunky looking, endless band, aero body (from which they had incidentally removed the word "symmetic"). No, then no again, not my second choice combination, then not the third either. Finally, "success" on itteration #4 .

Then all I had to do(realizing that if I didn't, when I went to use them next, I would have forgotten what went with what), was reassemble the others and put them away. At least this went smoothly, having become recently familliar with their differences,,,
Old 06-03-20, 06:33 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by madpogue
Picturing this .
I've had it happen happen once.

Notice that the square is brazed only on the left and right edges, not the center. The example above isn't even brazed up to each end.

-Kurt

Old 06-03-20, 07:30 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Wasn't there also a top mount shifter boss that the shifters threaded into? it kind of looked like a Miyata rack eyelet- but where DT shifters would be.
Is this the one you're thinking of?
https://www.phred.org/~alex/pictures/bikes/shiftboss.jpg
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 06-03-20, 09:38 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Yes!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-03-20, 10:28 AM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by cudak888
I've had it happen happen once.

Notice that the square is brazed only on the left and right edges, not the center. The example above isn't even brazed up to each end.

-Kurt
Hmm, I guess if I ever wanted to remove it...
Old 06-03-20, 10:35 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Hmm, I guess if I ever wanted to remove it...
I learned the hard way about involuntary removal of that specific braze-on.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888: