Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn LeTour Frame Changes?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-04-20, 02:17 AM
coolguymihai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi! To make a long story short, I had an '81 LeTour with a 25" frame for a very long time. I unfortunately don't have it anymore, and I haven't been able to find any bike that fits me as well as that one did. I want to either find another one like it, or build one up from just a frame. My question is: did the LeTour's geometry change at all over the years? Also, I think the Traveler shares the same frame geometry as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure if that applies to every single year. I saw an '86 Traveler on Ebay that even has the same lugs as my old LeTour, that I haven't really seen on any other Schwinn model. The only differences on the Traveler that I could spot were the beefier rear dropouts and slightly fancier cable guides, but I have no way of measuring specific angles and tube lengths to be completely positive.
Old 07-04-20, 07:35 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
Letours and travelers changed a lot over the years. Mid 80s the letour became an actual touring bike. By 88 it was a 700c sport bike.
Old 07-04-20, 08:17 AM
coolguymihai

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I see, so I guess I'm better off trying to hunt down another '81? I noticed that mid-80s LeTours already had downtube shifters, while the '86 Traveler still had stem-mounted shifters. That, and the fact that it has identical lugs to my bike, kinda got my hopes up.
Likes For coolguymihai:
Old 07-04-20, 08:24 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 984 Posts
The Le Tour name in 1981 had other names with it--there was no standalone "Le Tour" model--only Super Le Tour or Le Tour Tourist etc. Was it any of those? Below the Le Tour Tourist was the Sports Tour and then Traveler. 1982 saw the Le Tour name as a standalone model.

Throughout the '80s, the Traveler was tucked in right below the Le Tour in the model hierarchy, and they often shared similar geometry specs. Also as the '80s went on, all bikes gained nicer frame specs and features. Better tubing, nicer lugs, lighter components, etc. The stamped dropouts (with claw-mounted rear derailleurs) gave way to much nicer (and stronger) forged dropouts in 1984 (no more claw either). The later mid-'80s had most models tightening up their geometries, and the Le Tour and Traveler followed suit, albeit minorly.

1989 was the year the Le Tour adopted the road/race geometry specs of Schwinn's fast bikes, and went to 700C as well. Traveler was similar (though not identical), but gained 700C wheels. Only the World Sport could be, IMO, labeled as a bike most similar to the '81 Le Tour-y bikes based on rough geometry. It even retained 27" wheels and tires.

Schwinn did not publish geometry specs of any kind for their normal range of bikes until 1984, so we have no idea, outside of a smartphone app, how to ascertain angles etc. I will say, a number of benefits the late '80s bikes (Le Tour, Traveler, World Sport) present, is 1) a standard quill stem diameter instead of the 21.1mm used on much of the 1981 range (in case you wanted to equip it with different stems and bars for fit, style, or comfort) 2) water bottle cage mounts 3) forged rear dropouts that make replacing and mounting rear derailleurs easier 4) a 126mm rear axle spacing standard instead of the very-likely 120mm a number of models had in 1981 (more wheel choices with 126mm axles, or the ability to squeeze a modern 130mm axle in without much trouble).
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 07-04-20, 09:09 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
The Traveler was not that great of bike, I would look for either a Super Le tour, Le Tour Luxe, Voyageur or Voyageur SP. The Voyageur SP was the top of the line in the touring series, in fact I have them listed in order of low to high; the Le Tour you had was below the Super Le Tour, and that frame was on the flexy side, not to mention moderately heavy. The weight as I listed in order starts at 25 pounds and each model after the Super Le Tour loses a pound. And the geometry for all those bikes are very close to the same as the Le Tour you had.

The other weird thing about Schwinns, 1985 was the best year for those models I listed, they tried to impress the world with their high quality bikes and components in hopes of not going bankrupt, so they took out all the stops for the 85 models, it didn't work obviously. In 1985 they were still using 27" wheels on those touring bikes, which isn't a bad thing because there are a few really nice tires in that size; they also used schrader valves, but you can easily convert that to using presta valves by using a special grommet.
Old 07-04-20, 10:25 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
The Traveler finally got the exact same (73HTx74ST) frame angles and 700c wheel size as the Paramounts, Tempo, Circuit, etc. in 1989.
It came with a 6s SIS Exage gruppo having very nice levers/hoods.

I also had an '86 model Traveler with ~72x72-degree geometry, and kind of like greatscott said, the earlier ones were dog-slow feeling.

Here's my '89 model, gad even has short-reach calipers:

Last edited by dddd; 07-04-20 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-05-20, 03:59 AM
coolguymihai

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the help! I might have been wrong, and could have possibly had a 1982 model, because I know for a fact that it was just a LeTour. The only thing that's throwing me off is that it had Shimano Altus LT derailleurs and shifters, which I've only seen in catalogs on the 12 speeds. Mine was a metallic blue 10 speed. I really wish I had a good high quality picture on-hand, but I'll have to do a lot more digging around and see if I have one taken from the side. I did look up the actual dimensions of the later years (thanks RiddleOfSteel!), and it looks like the '85-6 Traveler and LeTour did, in fact, share the same frames other than having the shifters mounted on the stem and downtube, respectively. This unfortunately doesn't mean anything anymore now that you guys told me mine had a less aggressive geometry than the later models. As for it feeling heavy or sluggish, I didn't really mind. In a way, I liked it. I'm currently riding a 1989 Peugeot Saint Bernard that I've had for two years, and I just can't bring myself to ride any terrain I want, like I could with the Schwinn. It just feels too delicate and precise to do anything more than flat road, which I would assume is largely due to the tight and aggressive geometry, and it isn't really as fun for me. Thanks again for all the info on the LeTour, and for helping me out!
Old 07-05-20, 04:32 AM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
77 Super LeTour 12.2

Originally Posted by coolguymihai
I see, so I guess I'm better off trying to hunt down another '81? I noticed that mid-80s LeTours already had downtube shifters, while the '86 Traveler still had stem-mounted shifters. That, and the fact that it has identical lugs to my bike, kinda got my hopes up.
How about a 1977 Super LeTour 12.2. It is my Avitar.

I'm going to strip that mint 44 year old frame and sell it. I found a better fitting, mint 23 inch 12.2.
sadly it is silver instead of red.
Old 07-05-20, 10:18 AM
coolguymihai

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jjames1452
How about a 1977 Super LeTour 12.2. It is my Avitar.

I'm going to strip that mint 44 year old frame and sell it. I found a better fitting, mint 23 inch 12.2.
sadly it is silver instead of red.
I would, but I'm looking to just find or rebuild a bike exactly like mine for nostalgic/sentimental reasons. The Super doesn't have the stem-mounted shifters that I grew to love so much on my bike, and I wouldn't want to remove the braze-on downtube mounts and ruin a perfectly good frame that someone else might need. I appreciate the offer, though!
Likes For coolguymihai:
Old 07-05-20, 11:44 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
I would, but I'm looking to just find or rebuild a bike exactly like mine for nostalgic/sentimental reasons. The Super doesn't have the stem-mounted shifters that I grew to love so much on my bike, and I wouldn't want to remove the braze-on downtube mounts and ruin a perfectly good frame that someone else might need. I appreciate the offer, though!
You can get the stem mounted shifters easily and cheaply enough; they'l go on any bike with a convention quill stem. But you'd need to find a frame without downtube shifter mounts, or use the more modern cable stops that amount to those, as used on bikes with drifters or barcons.

If I was recreating a bike for sentimental reasons, I would want the right color, though.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 07-05-20, 12:17 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

@coolguymihai where (city or area) do you live? You may have a local bike shop or CL market that sells used parts near or near-enough by. Stem-mounted shifters are super cheap--like $5 please-take-them cheap as many want STI/Ergo brifters or (to a lesser extent) downtube shifters. You should have a bevy of choices, and Ebay has a bunch as well.

Mid-post edit: Looks like this guy has a blue 1981 Le Tour. The catalogs mislead! He even confirmed it with the build/serial date stamped in the head badge, indicating it as an early-year 1981 example. I'd say that's sufficient evidence to corroborate your recollection of your old Le Tour being a 1981. Handsome bikes.

This seller has a 25" but the price is too much, even if it was mint, and didn't have ape hanger bars (ugh). He does--and hopefully it's accurate enough--state frame angles (likely self-measured). 72.5° for both head tube and seat tube.
Old 07-05-20, 03:30 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

I would like to correct the record, or rather, my earliest statement of Schwinn publishing frame angles. I was incorrect: per the catalogs, they reported angles on their main models as early as 1981. Both the catalog Super Le Tour and Le Tour Tourist possessed 72.5° HT and ST angles, angles that Schwinn kept on either their Le Tour, Traveler, and/or World Sport models throughout the '80s. I just plumbed the depths of these catalog scans for information on 25.5" and 27" frames, as those models generally come in the super tall sizes.
Old 07-06-20, 03:58 AM
coolguymihai

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I would like to correct the record, or rather, my earliest statement of Schwinn publishing frame angles. I was incorrect: per the catalogs, they reported angles on their main models as early as 1981. Both the catalog Super Le Tour and Le Tour Tourist possessed 72.5° HT and ST angles, angles that Schwinn kept on either their Le Tour, Traveler, and/or World Sport models throughout the '80s. I just plumbed the depths of these catalog scans for information on 25.5" and 27" frames, as those models generally come in the super tall sizes.
I've been looking everywhere for weeks now trying to find all of this info, and within a couple of days you've pretty much solved everything for me! I guess this means I can get that '86 Traveler frame without any worries. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
Likes For coolguymihai:
Old 07-06-20, 10:19 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

I've been looking everywhere for weeks now trying to find all of this info, and within a couple of days you've pretty much solved everything for me! I guess this means I can get that '86 Traveler frame without any worries. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
You're welcome! I should have just posted this link: (Schwinn Catalog Scans) a lot earlier as it has been invaluable (and enjoyable) to go through. An '86 Traveler should do you well (same year Le Tour, too, though just with down tube shifters).
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: