Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 02:58 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Late morning/early afternoon ride on Ms. Patina today. The Peugeot PL8 was finished last winter and this was the first real shakedown ride - 22 miles or so. I did ride it earlier this spring and had a thumping in the rear sew up tire. That's when I had the scary realization I had forgotten to glue the tires before taking it out. That was done this morning and all was good.

The frame, while tall at the seat post for me, is a good fit because the top tube is a little shorter so I'm not as stretched out as my Trek 510 or Spectrum. The 40 yr old Simplex derailleur works surprisingly well and I would rank it toward the top of my stable as far as producing a nice quiet ride. I know it'll crack at some point but I'm really going to enjoy it until then. Noticed a few rattles that meant some tightening needed to happen. Not real keen on the Altenberger brakes but they were what was on it so I'll use them for now. Besides I don't ride it all that fast so extreme braking force won't be necessary.

Overall a very fun ride.

My 8 yr old has some growing to do:

Old 08-19-12, 07:16 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Yesterday I did my second D2R2 ride, the fabled dirt road climbing ride that stitches together old carriage roads in northwestern MA and southern VT, the proceeds which go to support the Franklin Land Trust whose mission is to preserve the farming heritage and rural character of the area. Last year I ended up walking a few short segments of the ride and came close to self-destruction by the end, but this year I was better prepared and did fine. And even though I rode the 2nd "easiest" route of the five offered, it still clocked in 7500 ft of elevation gain in 62 miles. I even managed to keep a smile on my face for most of it, although I think I remember muttering some curses on some of the climbs. I did the ride with a good friend with whom I've ridden a lot, and a friend of his that I met just yesterday. And I saw lots of friends and familiar faces who were either doing different routes or riding in their own groups. Despite constant rain during the drive out from Boston early in the morning and a forecast for thunderstorms, by the time we rolled out at 9am the skies had cleared and it was blue skies and temps in the 70s all day. Perfect. Here are some shots from the day:

Cooper Lane, a beautiful rolling carriage road that climbs up the side of a mountain:

A tough climb:

A narrow carriage road crossing the border into VT:

A common scene in VT:

A country lane:

A gaggle of bikes spilling into the road at the lunch stop:

The fabled covered bridge at the lunch stop. When hurricane Irene hit on the night of D2R2 last year (the first drops fell as I checked in at the finish), the Green river had risen to within one foot of the bridge. Many other area bridges got washed away.

A vista atop one of the many climbs:

Post-ride, the whole group:

Last edited by southpawboston; 08-19-12 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-19-12, 08:10 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 149 Posts
Did some MTB'ing today with the Peugeot and saw the biggest hill gradients I've ever seen. I'll find some easier trails next time.

They weren't kidding.

Old 08-19-12, 08:45 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

That is a sweet looking Peugeot!

Old 08-19-12, 09:36 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 149 Posts
Thankyou, I'm quite happy with the handling on downhills to.
Old 08-19-12, 10:02 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Lavalette on through seaside heights (of jersey shore fame) and on to the southern tip of this sand bar.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 08-19-12, 10:06 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
Lavalette on through seaside heights (of jersey shore fame) and on to the southern tip of this sand bar.

That looks like a blast! Is that where you been?
Old 08-19-12, 10:14 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Ha, nope. Just got down here yesterday. Spent the summer working about an hour north of home, I'd often spend the night up there.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 08-19-12, 02:15 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I took a mostly gravel ride today, ended up being somewheres around 50 miles. Kingston-Hurley-Rosendale-New Paltz-Mohonk-High Falls-Hurley-Kingston

Picked up the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail just outside of the limits of the City of Kingston, about a 10 minute ride through traffic from my front porch, and made my way down to Rosendale via Binnewater Road because the trail is currently gated off for the portion that goes through the Williams Lake property.

Made it to Rosendale, and stopped to admire the old cement kilns. Yep, Rosendale Cement...this is where it was made

The train trestle in Rosendale which is currently being re-decked for pedestrian and bike use

Picked up the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail again, and started south towards New Paltz

Rest at the Wallkill River bridge

Rode into New Paltz via Huguenot Street

Old 08-19-12, 02:16 PM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And, then up over the mountain to Mohonk Preserve (membership or day fee required) where I hit some more gravel and took a quick hike to the top of Bonticou Crag

Then, back down through Spring Farm and into High Falls, where I refueled at the Last Bite with apple juice, sausage/egg/cheese, and cheesecake

The Locktenders Cottage, now restored, as it sits at Lock 14(iirc?) of the former D&H canal. Side note, I did a land survey of this property last fall, entered it in a state map competition, and won first place!

Picked up the Marbletown Rail Trail (former O&W Railroad) and rode back to Hurley, New Yorks second capital after the British burned the first, which is Kingston

Oldest street of continuously lived in stone houses in America

And, that's my ride for the day! I'm tired.
Old 08-19-12, 02:41 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts

After weeks of horrific heat and drought, we finally got a pair of beautiful and cool mornings this weekend. I headed out on my Freschi today, bright and early and directly into the sun. Lots and lots of rollers, gradually moving toward the Missouri River and through some gorgeous (but patently dead) fields of corn. Nice enough that after the first 45 miles I noticed there was still ice in my bottles. Stopped at a river front park to refill my bottles with tepid water and didn't even mind.
Old 08-19-12, 05:01 PM
JJScaliger

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
Great pics southpawboston! I wish I could have gone.

I rode 42 miles today with 1400' elevation gain. Some new roads, I took the Kelly, no dirt today unfortunately. West Greenwich-East Greenwich-Exeter-Wyoming-Richmond-West Greenwich-Coventry

Woody Hill School house

This outhouse could use some renovation.

There wasn't many houses on this road. I wonder how far kids had to walk to get to school.

Up hills like this (this is Woody Hill Rd), in snow, both ways,

I took time to smell the flowers.

Old 08-19-12, 05:15 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Wow, you folks are posting such great pics. I have no great pics today, no grand and glorious vistas, no endless cornfields and picturesque river crossings. You have all already done that!

Just a trivial ride report, 46.8 miles on the tandem with my sweetie. We went west from Bedford into Carlisle, then for some new roads for us further west into Westford and north into northern Chelmsford. Came into Chelmsford Center from the west. You know how Carlisle has a few hills? Well, Chelmsford has some too, only much longer. Drop into low gear and grind away... Did I mention how Chelmesford has a few hills? It was a good day!

At Great Brook Farm on our return we met a couple riding a pair of beautiful Mercians. Spent some time talking old bikes with them. No pics, alas.

Stopping at a park on the northeast side of Chelmsford Center:

And the obligatory picnic, without which this ride would be pointless:

Old 08-19-12, 08:02 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Went for what started out as a casual 31 mile ride and turned into a brutal one for awhile when a 20 mph wind suddenly kicked up. I had good reason to force my way into the wind for 10 miles, though.

It's amazing what three months and a welder's torch can do. This is one of the best highway shoulders to ride on around here but now the scenery is drastically different.

The landscape changed this past Monday:

First ride of the year on the Nishiki Marina 12:

Old 08-20-12, 08:10 AM
southpawboston

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Wow, you folks are posting such great pics. I have no great pics today, no grand and glorious vistas, no endless cornfields and picturesque river crossings. You have all already done that!

Just a trivial ride report, 46.8 miles on the tandem with my sweetie. We went west from Bedford into Carlisle, then for some new roads for us further west into Westford and north into northern Chelmsford. Came into Chelmsford Center from the west. You know how Carlisle has a few hills? Well, Chelmsford has some too, only much longer. Drop into low gear and grind away... Did I mention how Chelmesford has a few hills? It was a good day!

At Great Brook Farm on our return we met a couple riding a pair of beautiful Mercians. Spent some time talking old bikes with them. No pics, alas.

Stopping at a park on the northeast side of Chelmsford Center:

And the obligatory picnic, without which this ride would be pointless:

Sounds like a great ride, Jim, and it's great to see that you and your sweetie are putting that tandem to good use!
Old 08-20-12, 08:11 AM
southpawboston

Originally Posted by JJScaliger

I rode 42 miles today with 1400' elevation gain. Some new roads, I took the Kelly, no dirt today unfortunately. West Greenwich-East Greenwich-Exeter-Wyoming-Richmond-West Greenwich-Coventry

Woody Hill School house

This outhouse could use some renovation.

There wasn't many houses on this road. I wonder how far kids had to walk to get to school.

Up hills like this (this is Woody Hill Rd), in snow, both ways,

I took time to smell the flowers.

Hey, I think I need to start exploring more around RI! I bet none of these places are too far from me...
Old 08-20-12, 08:16 AM
southpawboston

Originally Posted by YoKev

Wow, YoKev, you've just reminded me how beautiful the mid-hudson valley really is! I grew up there, but never explored around the treasures and hidden gems the way you have. Those houses in Hurley sure do ring a bell for me, I remember driving past them many times (and I grew up near uptown Kingston with all its stone houses). Alas, I never explored all those gems by bike, which is probably the best way. I also remember the Rosendale cement kilns. Next time I'm over that way you'll have to give me a guided tour! I didn't even know those trails existed! It looks like it was a splendid ride!!!

Last edited by southpawboston; 08-21-12 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-20-12, 09:08 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Today's report is brought to you through the kindness of a stranger.

I didn't quite make 20 of my usual 25 miles round trip. I had ridden the faithful Peugeot UO8 today because it has a rack for panniers and lights which might have been useful had the predicted 30% POP come to pass. That bike choice turned out to be pivotal.

I was tooling along this afternoon on the way back to the Attleboro train station when I heard a gunshot. Well, it wasn't really a gunshot, just my rear tire. I hopped off the bike, pulled off the wheel (working through the panniers), checked it over but found no puncture. Then I head a voice from across the road (Rt 123), "You okay over there?" I looked, saw the caller, and answered "I don't know yet." To which he answered "I'll be here if you need anything." Then I found the problem - the valve stem had, ah, exploded. Simple punctures don't usually sound like that anyway.

The reason the bike choice mattered is that it has Schrader valves, not Presta. When I had put the bike in the car last night I couldn't find a spare tube. I had grabbed tires irons and a patch kit and figured that would cover any normal flat. I have one around here somewhere because both it and the Gran Sport have Schrader valves. But it got moved when I transferred its handlebar bag over to the Bianchi. Memo to self: You have too many bikes.

So I walked across the street and the guy happily consented to throw the bike in the back of his pickup and drive me the rest of the way to the station. As he put it, the weeds in the lawn would keep and the steaks weren't going onto the grill until 6:30. We had a delightful conversation for the next 10 minutes or so. I told him how I'd written to the Attleboro newspaper last year about how courteous the drivers had been all year, and then thanked him for his consideration.

It was a good day. As he put it when we shook hands at the station "God bless America!" People are what make a society. We have some good ones.
Old 08-20-12, 09:27 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
^ Jim, that is excellent. There are a lot of excellent people out there. Too bad the stinkers are usually easier to spot.

As far as your valve goes, is it rubber? I don't know if that was part of the cause, but I recently found out that Schwalbe tubes have metal schrader valves. Aside from that, they hold air for a long time... like weeks. Maybe something to look into.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 08-20-12, 09:35 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

I took my daughter out on a 22.5 mile ride tonight. I feel like I am getting a little stronger now that I have been out so frequently. I seem ride with more energy and climb some of the tougher hills better. I've also really learned to grab the drops for climbing, something about that position feels more efficient and powerful. It's nice to see a little improvement.

I rode about 11 miles into a strong headwind. I enjoyed a great tailwind the rest of the way home.

DSC06980 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC06985 by mkeller234, on Flickr

Last edited by mkeller234; 08-20-12 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-20-12, 09:36 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

YoKev, your pictures are awesome. I want to ride across that train bridge, that looks like fun. The kilns are really cool.
Old 08-20-12, 10:43 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234

DSC06985 by mkeller234, on Flickr
What a priceless smile! This little one is going to grow up wanting to fly down roads on her own bike.
Old 08-20-12, 10:50 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by WNG
What a priceless smile! This little one is going to grow up wanting to fly down roads on her own bike.
I think the smile was because of my bike helmet. She laughs at me anytime I walk around with it on. I hope she grows up and loves the outdoors as much as I do. I hope to do lots of hiking and camping with her in the future. My wife is definitely more of an indoors person, maybe I can coax her out.
Old 08-21-12, 09:56 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

mk, your daughter is really something special!

Originally Posted by mkeller234
As far as your valve goes, is it rubber?
I'll check out Schwalbe tubes. This could have been from the valve being crooked in the hole and rubbing until it weakened. I'll have to inspect it with that in mind.

But it isn't the first time I've had something like this happen. One time my wife and I went on vacation and when we came back a week later I found one of my tires had done the same thing just sitting there. I'm thinking it may have been an old tube. Maybe those old tubes were never meant to hold 105psi.
Old 08-21-12, 11:33 AM
Bikegeek1968

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put in around 80 km while visiting the parents last weekend. It has been a while since I rode a bike in my old high school stomping grounds. Hardly any cars, but the roads were infested with cyclists of all types. Here we are at Sunol corners getting a refreshing beverage.

This near vintage 97 Cannondale normally lives on my indoor trainer, but I let it out of the garage to fly in a travel case up to Oakland. The bike and I even tried to get a Strava KOM, but we just missed by 10 seconds. Sorry about the non-drive side pic. It is all DA 9 speed, Mavic SUP rims, TTT bar and stem. Still a nice riding bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2012-08-18_12-29-43_380.jpg (105.7 KB, 29 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.