Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Transporting a bike with a scooter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 10:53 PM
kjmillig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to be able to take my bike places to ride, or do 1/2 scooter-1/2 bike to work. Anyone seen a set up to carry a bike on a scooter (think 125cc motor scooter)?
Old 05-16-12, 04:52 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Folding bike.

Though I have seen a few pictures here and there of someone carrying a partially disassembled road/MTB on the back rack of a motorcycle.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-16-12, 06:34 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
kj - I've seen pictures of it done two ways. Both were on Stella scooters (which are essentially Vespa PX-150's made in India). One had a modified Yakima or Thule rack mounted on the luggage rack of the scooter and held in place with guy wires. The bike / bike rack stuck way off the back of the scooter, but apparently it worked in the sense it was secure.

The other used some type of aluminum tubing mounted under the floorboard of the scooter - one fore, one aft - and then a Yakimar or Thule (don't remember) bike rack mounted to that. Two issues arose with that for the user - 1, sharp turns to the right could result in the tubing/rack hitting the road, and 2 the bike blocked the right side of the scooter limiting mount/dismount to the left side only.

I used to frequent forum called Stellaspeed but havne't been there in a while. You might want to pop over there and ask -- lots of good mechanics, and they don't just talk/know about Stella's, but all kinds of scooters (mostly vintage or vintage-ish).
Old 05-17-12, 04:41 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
[edit to add the following after I posted the original below] Hey, type in carry bicycle with scooter into Yahoo and see what you see - lots of actual examples!

[original]:
Can you attach a lighweight trailer to a scooter. If you go less than 50mph, I would think that any trailer built for a bicycle would work. Then I'll bet you could figure out how to carry a bike with a fork mount and some way to secure the front wheel alongside the bike. Just thinking out loud.

Or, again if your speed is ~50mph or less - maybe some sort of fork mount on the rear fender or luggage rack of the scooter. Attach bike's fork, rear wheel trailing on the road. 50mph is not going to harm a bicycle wheel, other than some premature rubber wear (but tires can be both heavy duty and cheap). Figure out a way to mount the front wheel alongside the main triangle, maybe even w/ bungies.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-17-12 at 04:49 PM.