Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Around Vegas?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling Around Vegas?

Old 10-14-13, 11:56 AM
bknaus
Sway Bar Guru

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10; Santa Cruz HighBall; Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling Around Vegas?

I'll be in Las Vegas for 9 days the beginning on November for the SEMA show. The first 4 days have some set up and meetings but lots of free time so I figured I'd toss my bike in one of the trailers and go riding. I searched on here for rides and all the threads I found were from 2005, 2006 and one from 2010. I know from previous messed up rides that that amount of time can change everything so where should I go? I'd like a good 35 mile and if I have time something in the 60 mile range?

I was looking at riding to Hoover Dam and back. It looks like 68 miles round trip following this route. It uses a bunch of bike paths (Boulder Highway Trail and River Mountain Loop Trail) but I see differing stuff online about which ones are paved and not? I read one place it's all paved except the last two miles but that was from a couple years ago...

Also, I hear good things about Red Rock Canyon and would go this route unless I hear otherwise?

And I have to start from the hotel on the strip since my vehicle will be parked in the show and I won't be able to move it after Sunday morning. I'll be at Flamingo so tips on how to get out of the crazy traffic ASAP would be appreciated too. Thanks!
Old 10-14-13, 11:58 AM
bknaus
Sway Bar Guru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to post. Feel free to move it. I tried to decide which regional forum Vegas fell under and couldn't decide...
Old 10-14-13, 12:12 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bknaus
I'll be in Las Vegas for 9 days the beginning on November for the SEMA show. The first 4 days have some set up and meetings but lots of free time so I figured I'd toss my bike in one of the trailers and go riding. I searched on here for rides and all the threads I found were from 2005, 2006 and one from 2010. I know from previous messed up rides that that amount of time can change everything so where should I go? I'd like a good 35 mile and if I have time something in the 60 mile range?

I was looking at riding to Hoover Dam and back. It looks like 68 miles round trip following this route. It uses a bunch of bike paths (Boulder Highway Trail and River Mountain Loop Trail) but I see differing stuff online about which ones are paved and not? I read one place it's all paved except the last two miles but that was from a couple years ago...

Also, I hear good things about Red Rock Canyon and would go this route unless I hear otherwise?

And I have to start from the hotel on the strip since my vehicle will be parked in the show and I won't be able to move it after Sunday morning. I'll be at Flamingo so tips on how to get out of the crazy traffic ASAP would be appreciated too. Thanks!
The route to the dam is OK. Boulder Highway isn't great, but the shoulder is plenty wide. River Mountains Trail Loop is a beautiful path. I'd go through Lake Mead Recreation Area on the return route.

Your route to Red Rock is terrible. I would head north from the hotel to Sahara, and take that west all the way to Ft. Apache, then head north to Charleston.
Old 10-14-13, 12:19 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I live in Las Vegas, but I'm on the west side of town and don't get over to the River Mountain trail, etc. much.

Register with www.bikinglasvegas.com and your inquiry should get a lot of responses.
Old 10-14-13, 12:24 PM
bknaus
Sway Bar Guru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.
Register with www.bikinglasvegas.com and your inquiry should get a lot of responses.
That site is perfect, it has a couple of good routes starting at the strip and more details on paved vs unpaved without even registering but I will probably post up. Thanks. I appreciate it!
Old 10-14-13, 12:58 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

I'm a musician in LV and sometimes sub for a guy on the Donny & Marie show. It's easier for me to get there by bike than drive.

Here is how I get out of that area; you could use this as a basis for getting out to Red Rock Canyon.

-Walk out of the Flamingo, go North a bit to an intersection where Margaritaville is.
-Cross over to Caesar's and you can begin riding on a road called Jay Sarno Way.
-Turn right on Frank Sinatra.
-Turn left on Industrial Rd.
-Short jaunt on Industrial, then turn right on Twain Ave.
-Twain runs behind the Rio and eventually has a bike lane.
-Ride Twain Ave. West to Tenaya Ave.
-Turn right (North) on Tenaya to Sahara Ave.
-Turn left (West) on Sahara and you'll have a wide bus/bike lane. It eventually goes away, but is very rideable.
-Just keep going West and you'll get to W. Charleston, which runs out to Red Rock Canyon.

I'm a fairly daring commuter; not sure what you're used to when it comes to traffic. Those first few steps are the most complicated.

Last edited by Eric S.; 10-14-13 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added info, spelling error
Old 10-14-13, 01:07 PM
JamesInSJ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the directions to stay on Sahara till it hits Charleston.

Alternatively, looking at your original directions, you could stay on Twain most of the way, cut south to Flamingo and then stay on Flamingo all the way through Red Rock Country Club area, then pickup the left (West) on Sahara to Charleston. That would give you a few more miles of nice suburban scenic riding on the west end of town.

Originally Posted by Eric S.
I'm a musician in LV and sometimes sub for a guy on the Donny & Marie show. It's easier for me to get there by bike that drive.

Here is how I get out of that area; you could use this as a basis for getting out to Red Rock Canyon.

-Walk out of the Flamingo, go North a bit to an intersection where Margaritaville is.
-Cross over to Caesar's and you can begin riding on a road called Jay Sarno Way.
-Turn right on Frank Sinatra.
-Turn left on Industrial Rd.
-Short jaunt on Industrial, then turn right on Twain Ave.
-Twain runs behind the Rio and eventually has a bike lane.
-Ride Twain Ave. West to Tenaya Ave.
-Turn right (North) on Tenaya to Sahara Ave.
-Turn left (West) on Sahara and you'll have a wide bus/bike lane. It eventually goes away, but is very rideable.
-Just keep going West and you'll get to W. Charleston, which runs out to Red Rock Canyon.

I'm a fairly daring commuter; not sure what you're used to when it comes to traffic. Those first few steps are the most complicated.
Old 10-14-13, 01:15 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
When you go up to Red Rock canyon, don't turn around and go back the way you came - head south on Red Rock Canyon Rd/Blue Diamond Rd. and return to town from the south.

But beware of goathead flats on that road - make sure you've got a spare tube and an inflator.

Also, there are good group rides to join on the weekends - you can find information on the BikingLasVegas site.
Old 10-14-13, 01:22 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,602 Times in 3,466 Posts
That's what I love about this forum, you can almost always find the helpful information you're looking for.
Old 10-14-13, 01:25 PM
Eric S.

Originally Posted by MinnMan
When you go up to Red Rock canyon, don't turn around and go back the way you came - head south on Red Rock Canyon Rd/Blue Diamond Rd. and return to town from the south.
Yes, Blue Diamond Road (also referred to as SR 160) has a nice shoulder/bike lane and will bring you to Dean Martin Drive, which you can ride North back to the weird Twain/Industrial/Frank Sinatra intersection.
Old 10-14-13, 01:36 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Having stayed on the Strip and in the Downtown area I like riding out on Alta, to Red Rock (but not in the loop itself), down to Blue Diamond, and back.

The Alta road is a bit less crazy, there's a shoulder there. Some of the other roads are really wide, like 3 lanes each side, with no shoulder to speak of. Alta is actually twisty - they've built some slalom type curves in the road to dissuade people from driving too fast on it. It encourages drivers to use other roads.

I didn't know about the goatheads on Blue Diamond. That's a really fast road coming off of Red Rock - the wind seems to come down Red Rock and so you have a tailwind when you leave Red Rock (and a terrible headwind going towards it).

Also on going to Lake Mead - I tried riding that "straight" road. I've ridden a little around Boulder City and I wanted to do the ride I did there on my own. That "straight" road is pretty tough mentally, tons of lights, forever horizon. I got to the top (it's basically a long slight climb going south), turned around, and came back to the hotel. I did Red Rock / Blue Diamond loops after that.

I stop at lights so that straight road was constantly stop and go.

Enjoy your trip. Ought to be fun, combining cars and bikes.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson