Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Fellow BK amps...sacroiliac pain?

Old 04-04-21, 07:07 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Fellow BK amps...sacroiliac pain?

I can't be the only one with sacroiliac disfunction.

Basically when I do anything beyond mildly active, or walk a lot I develop a sacroiliac "lock up" on my left (amp) side. I have a chiro that I work with who can pop me back in immediately. He is old, and pretty far away. I have not found a local chiro who is willing to "do the real" for me. IDK if you are familiar but there are good ones who are honestly interested in helping you expediently, and the "ambulance chaser" crew.

I have attempted to utilize methods he has taught me as well as stuff online and I don't possess the strength (I guess) to be able to manipulate the joint myself. I have actually had a masseuse or two with the strength and knowledge to do it, but no one stayed around while all this CV-19 mess ongoing.

Is there some special stretch, work out, method by which you have found to either fend off the happening, or to find relief for it when it happens?
Basically I face anywhere from days to weeks of pain until I can get an appointment to see him. Muscle relaxers and "traditional" western medicine is useless for it. If you have dealt with it you know exactly what I mean.

HALP (lol)
Old 05-16-21, 08:03 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
bike riders with sacroiliac pain.

You may need several types of health care providers. Chiropractors who have a larger practice will also have massage therapists. But the ultimate in massage would be the DPT, Doctor of Physical Therapy. Nowadays, the advanced health care education means a doctorate in physical therapy.

Its the joints and the soft tissues, meaning muscles. Bike riders who have been riding many miles for many years will develop muscle tissues that are no longer flexible and the muscle strands start to "connect" together to create a "knotty" situation. Those knots need to be loosened. Direct pressure with a therapist's elbows and forearms will attempt to loosen those muscle strands. I call it like Roller Blading competition, with elbows and forearms.

Why do muscles? Because stretching to be effective requires the muscles to react to the stretch. If muscles are knotted up, they first need to be relaxed.
Likes For Garfield Cat: