Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Jockey Wheels Rattling

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-23-18, 03:19 PM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Bought some new TACX jockey wheels and fitted them to the RD. When in large front ring and last few larger cogs on cassette and small front ring and last few smaller cogs, the chain or derailleur makes a noise, as if the chain wants to jump up or down the cassette. Limits and indexing are fine.

Could it simply be that the chain is older than the brand new jockey wheels and it doesn't like the new teeth on the jockeys that is causing this noise. Didn't notice it at all with the old stock Shimano jockeys.

TIA
Old 05-24-18, 05:23 AM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No takers?

Disgarding the possibility of cross chaining, which I don't do, although I may sometimes use the last but one or two cogs on the cassette on the odd occasion when in either front chainring. I reiterate that the old Shimano jockey wheels didn't make this rattling sound, even when going through the full range of the cassette when on a repair stand setting up indexing, limits, cable tension etc.

Last edited by migrantwing; 05-24-18 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-24-18, 07:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Have used Tacx pulleys for decades IDK what you are going on about..
I put a used already set on my Brompton chain tensioner,
they're quieter than the stock ones

Rohloff uses Tacx 10t on their chain tensioner.. from the beginning.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-24-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-24-18, 11:04 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Chain correctly routed?
Old 05-24-18, 12:42 PM
powpow

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by migrantwing
Bought some new TACX jockey wheels and fitted them to the RD. When in large front ring and last few larger cogs on cassette and small front ring and last few smaller cogs, the chain or derailleur makes a noise, as if the chain wants to jump up or down the cassette. Limits and indexing are fine.

Could it simply be that the chain is older than the brand new jockey wheels and it doesn't like the new teeth on the jockeys that is causing this noise. Didn't notice it at all with the old stock Shimano jockeys.

TIA
Is anything else new (chain, cassette, etc?). If not, could you have bent the cage when installing the jockey wheels? You should check alignment.
Old 05-24-18, 01:04 PM
jimc101

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
No takers?

2 hrs on a US centric forum, and you expect a reply.... it can often take a day before you start to get replys, manage your expectations.
Old 05-24-18, 03:35 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
I’ve used the Tacx pulleys for a number of years, no issues. I’d repeat the question about the correct routing of the chain through the derailleur, above the tab (just below the top pulley, and I’d ask if you installed the pulleys correctly as there is an upper and lower wheel. They’re marked and they are different.
Old 05-24-18, 04:21 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Hang the bike by the saddle to get the rear wheel off the ground.
Shift to the problem cogs and very slowly turn the crank. About 1 tooth engagement a second, really slow. Look for jumps or momentary hang ups as each chain plate approaches a cog tooth.

I located a clicking noise on each wheel revolution this way. The chain was clearing all but one of the cog's teeth (which are shaped differently from each other on modern cassettes to aid shifting). I could see the chain lift up a little at one tooth, then drop in correctly as the wheel rotated. That's enough to make a tick, tick noise. A slight derailleur adjustment inward fixed it.

~~~~
Accidentally routing the chain outside the small tab on the derailleur arm, between the pulleys, will have the chain rubbing and grinding on the tab. But that would make noise in all shift positions.
The chain should make a straight line between coming off the lower pulley and onto the top pulley.
I've done the wrong routing before. oops.
Old 05-24-18, 04:25 PM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
2 hrs on a US centric forum, and you expect a reply.... it can often take a day before you start to get replys, manage your expectations.
If you look again, you'll find it was closer to 14 hours.
Old 05-24-18, 04:27 PM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Have used Tacx pulleys for decades IDK what you are going on about..
I put a used already set on my Brompton chain tensioner,
they're quieter than the stock ones

Rohloff uses Tacx 10t on their chain tensioner.. from the beginning.
Where is the help in your reply? If you don't know what I'm on about, why reply?
Old 05-24-18, 04:28 PM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
Chain correctly routed?
Yes, sir.
Old 05-24-18, 04:31 PM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by powpow
Is anything else new (chain, cassette, etc?). If not, could you have bent the cage when installing the jockey wheels? You should check alignment.
Nothing else new, bar the jockey wheels. Upper and lower wheels are installed in the correct position. Checked the derailleur hanger, perfect, but will check cage alignment as you suggest.
Old 05-24-18, 04:35 PM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Hang the bike by the saddle to get the rear wheel off the ground.
Shift to the problem cogs and very slowly turn the crank. About 1 tooth engagement a second, really slow. Look for jumps or momentary hang ups as each chain plate approaches a cog tooth.

I located a clicking noise on each wheel revolution this way. The chain was clearing all but one of the cog's teeth (which are shaped differently from each other on modern cassettes to aid shifting). I could see the chain lift up a little at one tooth, then drop in correctly as the wheel rotated. That's enough to make a tick, tick noise. A slight derailleur adjustment inward fixed it.

~~~~
Accidentally routing the chain outside the small tab on the derailleur arm, between the pulleys, will have the chain rubbing and grinding on the tab. But that would make noise in all shift positions.
The chain should make a straight line between coming off the lower pulley and onto the top pulley.
I've done the wrong routing before. oops.
I'll do as you suggest.
The chain is definitely routed correctly. I have to admit routing the chain incorrectly too, many moons ago.
Old 05-25-18, 02:31 AM
jimc101

If you look again, you'll find it was closer to 14 hours.
So what, your asking for an instant response, go to a LBS for that, not getting a response for 24 isn't uncommon on here, and your part of a spate of posters expecting an instant response in the last few weeks.
Old 05-25-18, 06:03 AM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
So what, your asking for an instant response, go to a LBS for that, not getting a response for 24 isn't uncommon on here, and your part of a spate of posters expecting an instant response in the last few weeks.
So what, you say? So you posted an unhelpful reply also claiming a time frame of 2 hours when it was 14 hours. If you have nothing positive or helpful to say, it's best if you save your valuable time. I wouldn't want to put you out.

I apologise wholeheartedly on behalf of other members who have been impatient over the last few weeks, including myself. I hope it hasn't affected your Chi too much.
Old 05-25-18, 08:51 AM
jimc101

So what, you say? So you posted an unhelpful reply also claiming a time frame of 2 hours when it was 14 hours. If you have nothing positive or helpful to say, it's best if you save your valuable time. I wouldn't want to put you out.

I apologise wholeheartedly on behalf of other members who have been impatient over the last few weeks, including myself. I hope it hasn't affected your Chi too much.
Well, I obviously upset your Chi
Old 05-25-18, 09:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

bushings in the center intact?
Old 05-25-18, 04:34 PM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
bushings in the center intact?
Yep! The TACX jockey wheels have inserts that you install according to which brand of derailleur you are installing them on, Shimano, Campagnolo or SRAM. I have used the correct inserts.

One thing that I overlooked is that TACX jockey wheels don't have any play in them, in the way that Shimano ones do. Maybe a tweak of the indexing may help. Maybe I'll try one of the slightly looser inserts to add a touch of play. I think it's going to be a case of messing around with these jockeys a bit.
Old 05-26-18, 07:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

a bushing pair, that butts together with the inside flange width wider than the bearing itself.
is where you should get that lateral motion your shimano indexing needs..
Old 05-26-18, 08:47 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
One thing that I overlooked is that TACX jockey wheels don't have any play in them, in the way that Shimano ones do. Maybe a tweak of the indexing may help. Maybe I'll try one of the slightly looser inserts to add a touch of play. I think it's going to be a case of messing around with these jockeys a bit.
I was worried about that myself with my first set of TACX but it hasn't been an issue at all with 3 different bikes, shift exactly the same as with the OEM Shimano wheels. Can't remember if the indexing needed tweeking but try making an adjustment and just for good measure, but probably not necessary, check the limit screws since the non-floating wheel may initially move the chain a hair further over on the end cogs when shifting.
Old 05-27-18, 01:55 AM
migrantwing

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I was worried about that myself with my first set of TACX but it hasn't been an issue at all with 3 different bikes, shift exactly the same as with the OEM Shimano wheels. Can't remember if the indexing needed tweeking but try making an adjustment and just for good measure, but probably not necessary, check the limit screws since the non-floating wheel may initially move the chain a hair further over on the end cogs when shifting.
I adjusted the limit screws slightly when I had 5 minutes spare before work yesterday, it seems to have helped a little. Having done this before reading your post, verifies that you are correct. I'll also try a slightly looser insert in the top jockey wheel. That should add a gnat's hair of float/play.