Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly discontinues Troll, Pugsley also along with LHT

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 09:13 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts

Its too bad, given my great fondness for my Troll, but I get it--the Troll has always been a rather specialized sort of frame with the horizontal dropouts and all, and while those who still use 26in wheels know they are still great for touring (lower gearing, possibility of being a stronger wheel due to shorter spokes--but completely dependant on wheelbuild) I get the whole marketing and across-the-boardness of 27.5 being popular.
If a bike isn't selling much, then its logical not to continue making it.

I'm also aware however of how their Bridge Club with its standard dropout is a great option, although the stock version of the BC has gone from a good double crankset in its first year or so, to a 1x now, so clearly aimed at the offroad / bikepacking crowd and use.

thats the one thing with a Troll, the stock setup with a triple made for a very versatile bike just from the gearing side, and its ability to take much wider tires than the LHT (3in front and back with the frame change in 2017) and its more nimble handling, was for me and many others, the main draw to it.

from bikepacking.com

https://bikepacking.com/news/elegy-t...emain%20intact.
Old 12-02-20, 09:34 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
There was a similar post last week...

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...uding-lht.html
Old 12-02-20, 11:47 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
thanks, I had missed that, and only heard this morning from a friend that a dealer had told them this, so checked it out to see if it was true.
Old 12-02-20, 12:42 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
There seems to be a lot of overlap in their models recently. I am surprised they didn't cut a few more. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan, my Cross Check was my favorite bike for years.