Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

SRAM double tap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 07:53 PM
Gunther20
Gunther20

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3; Trek Boone 5; Raleigh Revenio; Fuji Altamira

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
SRAM double tap

Hi. Newish guy here. I test rode a great bike today (in stock and on sale!). Only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger is that I never got comfortable with the sram rival double tap. Never could get it in the gear I wanted. Mostly by coincidence all my current and previous bikes have been shimano 105, ultegra, or dura ace and I have zero experience with sram.
soooooo......... is this something I will ‘get used to’ or should I avoid the great deal on a great bike and stick with what I know in shimano?

also my lesser concern on this gravel bike is the 1x11 drivetrain. Not sure if it offers enough range as I’m accustomed to a 2x10
Old 03-06-21, 09:44 PM
seinberg 

Bikes: Checkpoint SL7, Tarmac SL7, Trek Top Fuel, Trek Farley, Priority 600

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yes. You will. I had the same group on my old CAAD10 and actually came to really like it. If you've got a good deal and want or need the bike, so it!
Likes For seinberg:
Old 03-07-21, 05:20 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Double tap is very easy tp get used to. The only annoying thing about it is the way it reacts to trying to shift to a lower gear, if you are already in the lowest gear. If you are already in the lowest gear and try to downshift again, it will shift up a gear. Once you learn this quirk, you can overcome it by holding the shift lever over until it clicks and then it won't upshift.
Old 03-07-21, 08:26 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I have bikes with SRAM Apex 2x10 double tap (gravel), Shimano 2x11 GRX (gravel) and Campy 2x11 Potenza (road). For the first five minutes on any bike, I'm usually fumbling because I forget which system I'm on. But after a couple of shifts, that goes away and I can shift without thinking.

You will get used to the SRAM double tap in no time. The only downside I've experienced with SRAM on gravel is that I sometimes miss a shift when I'm on really rough terrain and bouncing around. I think for really rough terrain it is easier to hit your shifts with the GRX.

That said, with the difficulty in getting any kind of bike today, I wouldn't pass up the SRAM bike if its a good deal and available. My SRAM group has been extremely reliable.

With regard to 2x or 1x? Just check the high and low gear ratios to make sure you have the range you need. Yes, there are bigger gaps in the 1x group, but they are usually in the very lowest gears where you won't notice as much.
Old 03-07-21, 12:55 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Plus shift cables last much longer.
Old 03-08-21, 08:52 AM
Gunther20
Gunther20

Good points by all and I'll look to give it another test ride. As long as the double tab is functional as advertised it's just something I could get used to over time.
Regarding the 1x11 setup with 40t chainring and 11/32 cassette, as long as I'm doing the math correctly I will only be missing out on the top 2 gears I currently have. Chainrings on my current bike are 36/46 with 11/28 cassette.
46/13 = 3.54 and 40/11 = 3.64. As long as I'm using for the intended purpose of gravel riding with knobby tires I won't be affected. But if I decide to put GP5000 tires on it and ride on paved roads, that's when I'll start running out of gears.
Old 03-08-21, 03:51 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Double tap is not a bad system, just different.

I got my first nike with SRAM in January and it took half a ride to adjust. Hadn't ridden my Shimano bike until yesterday and was a little lost at first. That was fun!
Old 03-08-21, 10:00 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I ride Shimano grx Shimano Di2 and sram force. They all work well once set up correctly and maintained properly. I like my Di2 best, then sram, I really like the double tap system. Once you ride it you will like it. It took me maybe 10 shifts to learn to like it.
Old 03-09-21, 10:54 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I have a bike with SRAM Force 1x and love how fast and hard it shifts between gears, and that the brake lever doesn't move. It makes a nice satisfying POP noise on each shift.
I have a bike with Shimano GRX and it's super smooth and quiet. I feel like I can dump more gears on downshifts with Shimano, but it's possible I'm wrong on that.

I don't really have any issues going between the two bikes. I guess occasionally I may try to shift one like the other and immediately remember that it doesn't work that way.
Old 03-09-21, 11:52 AM
TeamJAB

Bikes: CoMotion Carrera, Salsa Warbird, BH Quartz, Santa Cruz Tallboy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
The easiest way to remember the Sram double tap is the first push is the trigger. What you do next makes the shift. Push again and it goes into a lower gear, release the lever and it goes into the higher gear.
Old 03-09-21, 12:16 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Surprised there are not more comments about the 1X. In Minnesota you may be fine with a 40/32 low gear, but you have to be really strong to ride steep New England hills with that. I have a 46/30 and 11/36 cassette and use all of the gears, and often find myself wishing for a bigger gear than 46/11.
Old 03-09-21, 02:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,695 Times in 2,517 Posts
I have both shimano and sram. I have trouble getting used to the Shimano. You will get used to double tap, no problem.
Old 03-09-21, 02:45 PM
Gunther20
Gunther20

Yeah no mountains in Minnesota. Generally if they are steep they are not long, maybe causing me to get out of the saddle for a short burst. And if they are long they are not steep so I just put my head down and keep pedaling. 40/32 would be quite similar to my current 36/28 so I don't anticipate any problems on that end of the cassette.
Old 03-09-21, 06:05 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I have the same feelings about SRAM Rival 1X and my SuperSix with SRAM Red.

The OP noted that he had mixed feelings about it being 1X; it just depends on your riding style. I just changed out the cassette on my Crux to the PG1130 11-42 and it's been great so far with a 40t up front. I'm in SoCal and have been taking on some of the local MTB trails without an issue.

Previously the 11-36 on there had limited my climbing but going to the 11-42 drops out the 12t to add the 42t. With 40X11, you can still get a decent road speed at 90 RPM.
Old 03-10-21, 09:06 AM
Gunther20
Gunther20

Originally Posted by TeamJAB
The easiest way to remember the Sram double tap is the first push is the trigger. What you do next makes the shift. Push again and it goes into a lower gear, release the lever and it goes into the higher gear.
This was helpful. I did another test ride with this quote in mind and it clicked, both in my head and on the bike. Anyway I am now the proud owner of a new 2019 Trek Boone 5. I realize it will never be this clean again and our gravel roads are a muddy mess right now so I may wait a month or so to really start riding it.
Old 03-10-21, 09:25 AM
TeamJAB

Bikes: CoMotion Carrera, Salsa Warbird, BH Quartz, Santa Cruz Tallboy

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Congrats on the Boone. Glad you got the shifting to "click". Hopefully the mud season will be short and you can get on the bike sooner.
Old 03-10-21, 12:10 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Congrats on the bike.

Now go and ride the bike. You can ride it on paved roads for a while to get used to it and get it dialed in.

As far as mud, bikes clean up fairly easily.