Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Any idea how much my 1988 Miyata 1000lt is worth

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 11:10 PM
arrrrr32

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am considering selling my 1988 Miyata 1000lt. I bought the bare frame new in 1988 from a dealer in Berkeley CA and built it up myself with what would have been considered an extremely idiosyncratic parts selection at the time.

It was my regular bike for a long time, but I've barely ridden it in many years. It is rideable but needs work to be a daily rider or tour ready. In particular the wheels are not really touring wheels - they are some mid-2000s Easton EA 70s.

The parts are now a mix of 80s and early 90s vintage parts and some more modern upgrades. For example, it is half-step plus granny geared, include a Deore XT half step derailleur, with more modern 10s Ultegra brifters and a nice vinatge Salsa stem. The rear brakes are Scott-Pedersen SE cantilevers. it needs bar tape too, they are currently untaped.

The frame is in good condition, but is not exactly beautiful - it was used quite a bit over the years.

I know that if I listed it on craigslist it would get either no interest or low ball offers. I also know that someone who cares a bit might actually be interested in this vintage tourer.

It is not a top dollar in its class bike, so I have no idea where to price it. I'm not looking for offers right now either, and will be looking for SF Bay Area buyers when the time comes to sell. What I'm interested in general ranges, who much do these sell for and are they really as desirable as some posts here suggest?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 04-09-21, 12:43 AM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
The 1000 is a fairly sought after bike and I'd think you'd have no problem selling it locally on Craigslist, but I guess it depends on what you feel the value range is. It's hard to say without photos to gauge the condition of the frame and/or parts. You might also have better luck maximizing your profit by selling it as a frameset.
Old 04-09-21, 11:46 AM
arrrrr32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input - I guess I might try listing it, but if I do that I'll likely get it into a reasonably rideable condition in order to improve it's "curb appeal"
The effort of stripping down to the bare frame and filling the parts bin wit h30 year old parts is probably not worth it. And anyone interested in the bike might want my Bruce Gordon racks
Old 04-09-21, 12:27 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
The Bruce Gordon racks are treasures. They are hollow chrome-molybdenum steel, built to the same level of craftsmanship as his frames. And, he is no longer with us.
I am not familiar with the bike, but I've had my Rock and Road since 1992.
Old 04-09-21, 01:39 PM
arrrrr32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
The Bruce Gordon racks are treasures. They are hollow chrome-molybdenum steel, built to the same level of craftsmanship as his frames. And, he is no longer with us.
I am not familiar with the bike, but I've had my Rock and Road since 1992.
I didn't know that he had passed, that is sad to hear. He was famous locally for being quite the curmudgeon, with very specific ideas about what constituted a true touring bike.
The racks are great, incredibly sold and relatively light considering they are steel. I have both front and rears plus a set of Robert Beckman Designs panniers that fit them too. I haven't been on the site long enough t opost a link yet, but you can find some images online of the red and black five attachment point bags.
Old 04-09-21, 05:52 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Yes, the Beckman panniers have a great, simple, mounting system. It is quick on and off, and quite secure on.
Old 04-09-21, 06:56 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,600 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from Touring forum to Classic & Vintage Appraisals forum.

Old 04-09-21, 09:22 PM
arrrrr32

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uff. Sorry about that. New here, I guess I selected the wrong forum.
Old 04-09-21, 09:52 PM
smudgy

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Surly Troll, Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts
I'm no expert on the subject, but I have bought and sold a few Miyata 1000's. I own 5. Of course condition is everything. From just your description, without actually seeing the bike, I would think it's worth at least $500. If it was in near mint condition, maybe $800-$1000. They call it the "Miyata cult" and I am a member, so I might be a little bias. I'm old and I still think the Miyata 1000 is one of the best bikes out there. The younger folks probably don't see it that way. They want fat tube frames with fat tires, disc brakes and a million braze ons for more stuff. I don't blame them, I'm kind of a dinosaur.
Old 04-11-21, 08:21 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
FWIW, selling the BG racks on eBay is likely to maximize your return as opposed to including them with your eclectic build Miyata 1000. You might also consider seeking out some more appropriate wheels and shifters at a local co-op and then list the bike after cleaning it up. The folks who are going to see the appeal of that fine vintage tourer are not likely to be excited by your shifters and modern wheels -- and those could also be sold separately for more $$ than if they were on the bike, and brifters are easy to ship.

The racks alone are worth $200+ if not cosmetically trashed.

The Miyata as described is really hard to guesstimate value for w/o photos -- some interesting components, some not so appropriate but still with value, and a well used frame? Hard to say -- from $300-$500+ as is (also depends upon frame size -- lower if very small or very tall), or more if parted out on eBay as it does sound like the odd hodgepodge of parts might not all be appealing to the same buyer. .