Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Geez... China's hits keep on coming...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Geez... China's hits keep on coming...

Old 04-10-21, 10:38 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike
Whatever dude. Ethics say you do the right thing. For your argument's sake... If a slimy company comes to most places and says "make something fraudulent, fake, or could hurt someone!", you should do the right thing. We see stuff from India, Cambodia, Taiwan (I have a sneaking suspicion that calling Taiwan a sovereign country has also just pissed you off), and Indonesia on a frequent basis, and it is always on the level and made with care.
You're trying to discuss ethics and corporate self-interest and corner cutting? The bikes are made in China for a reason, lowest possible cost to maximize profits, if that means that sometimes parts aren't made to the highest quality, well, that's what they're paying for.
Although I wouldn't go blaming a country for the above, the US mint has an amazing facility with lots of people and technology designed to catch errors and yet clipped coins and mis stamps still make it out. That a company overworking and underpaying its employees to serve the bottom line of a, I'm gonna guess an american, corporation which only cares about maximizing top brass wages doesn't have the best QC should be of no surprise. That looks like a single speed ring from the cheapest of Giant's 1x comfort, cruiser, or similar style bike. If you found that on a sram red crank I'd be more surprised but then you still get what you pay for.
Old 04-10-21, 11:09 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You're trying to discuss ethics and corporate self-interest and corner cutting? The bikes are made in China for a reason, lowest possible cost to maximize profits, if that means that sometimes parts aren't made to the highest quality, well, that's what they're paying for.
Although I wouldn't go blaming a country for the above, the US mint has an amazing facility with lots of people and technology designed to catch errors and yet clipped coins and mis stamps still make it out. That a company overworking and underpaying its employees to serve the bottom line of a, I'm gonna guess an american, corporation which only cares about maximizing top brass wages doesn't have the best QC should be of no surprise. That looks like a single speed ring from the cheapest of Giant's 1x comfort, cruiser, or similar style bike. If you found that on a sram red crank I'd be more surprised but then you still get what you pay for.
It wasn't Giant (cheap bikes, but Taiwan made, not fraudulently awful). It was a brand name though. Look at Amazon/Allibaba. Chinese companies ARE producing direct to consumer things like Eurobike, Begasso, and the like. Fake everything. Shifters that run through the gears like 4 times before the bubble gum machine plastic crumbles, disc brakes that really don't work at all (scary stuff). Dropouts built so far out of paralleliity that the knock off derailleur won't shift the chain on the knock off freewheel. People are giving their kids these bikes. God help the ones that build them themselves. It's dangerous fraud.THESE ARE VEHICLES THAT WILL BE USED ON PUBLIC ROADWAYS.

Last edited by La Brea Bike; 04-10-21 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-10-21, 11:49 PM
sasa_ke

Bikes: Fuji Track 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Whatever dude. Ethics say you do the right thing. For your argument's sake... If a slimy company comes to most places and says "make something fraudulent, fake, or could hurt someone!", you should do the right thing. We see stuff from India, Cambodia, Taiwan (I have a sneaking suspicion that calling Taiwan a sovereign country has also just pissed you off), and Indonesia on a frequent basis, and it is always on the level and made with care.
Is this thread just a weird anti-China political project for you or what
Likes For sasa_ke:
Old 04-11-21, 12:14 AM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Originally Posted by sasa_ke
Is this thread just a weird anti-China political project for you or what
I would love it if the emergence of fraud and dangerous products that have been shipped here in the last 4-5 months would cease making it into the hands of my customers and their kids. It's only coming from one place. It's not Taiwan.
Old 04-11-21, 12:21 AM
sasa_ke

I would love it if the emergence of fraud and dangerous products that have been shipped here in the last 4-5 months would cease making it into the hands of my customers and their kids. It's only coming from one place. It's not Taiwan.
Okay, but you're also imputing geopolitical opinions to other users for some reason. I don't know why you'd do that unless you want to have a political argument.

If the Aventons you sell are dangerous and fraudulent, that's an interesting discussion, but withholding the brand name for business purposes and then making the conversation about China writ large makes it some odd political polemic on your part instead of a possibly useful talk about manufacturers.
Likes For sasa_ke:
Old 04-11-21, 12:33 AM
La Brea Bike

Okay, but you're also imputing geopolitical opinions to other users for some reason. I don't know why you'd do that unless you want to have a political argument.

If the Aventons you sell are dangerous and fraudulent, that's an interesting discussion, but withholding the brand name for business purposes and then making the conversation about China writ large makes it some odd political polemic on your part instead of a possibly useful talk about manufacturers.
Interesting you are so concerned about the honor of China's industrial reputation. Enough to dig into our shop, possibly as a threat? It's not one we sell, but is nonetheless popular, by the way. In North America, Lawsuits are rampant, I am not going to be calling that company out. And as an FYI, 30% of my customers are Asian, and 50% are African Americans. These are the primary people being victimized by this garbage in our area. In many cases these people don't have excess money to just let it go if they can't return it and end up with nothing. I'm pissed. STOP IT.

Last edited by La Brea Bike; 04-11-21 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 01:37 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

Seriously?
The phrase ‘made in China’ has been a running joke for 30 years and it is because of the overall poor quality of products that they produce. Not politics.
Old 04-11-21, 04:51 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Bikes: Corratec Xvert, Peugeot Origin 30, GT Outpost, Kona Cinder Cone ‘93 Specialized StumpJumper, Ritchey mtb

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 72 Posts
I do not understand why anyone would buy a new bike, let alone a cheap new bike. Period.
Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 04-11-21, 05:51 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,385 Times in 2,048 Posts
People don't do what you expect, but what you inspect.

Louis V. Gerstner, Jr.
Old 04-11-21, 07:12 AM
sasa_ke

Interesting you are so concerned about the honor of China's industrial reputation. Enough to dig into our shop, possibly as a threat? It's not one we sell, but is nonetheless popular, by the way. In North America, Lawsuits are rampant, I am not going to be calling that company out. And as an FYI, 30% of my customers are Asian, and 50% are African Americans. These are the primary people being victimized by this garbage in our area. In many cases these people don't have excess money to just let it go if they can't return it and end up with nothing. I'm pissed. STOP IT.
How is it “a threat” to look at the website of the store you’re advertising with your username? How could some anonymous Canadian pose “a threat” to your business? This is paranoia.

Congratulations on the diverse customer base, I can see it’s a point of pride for you, but this bizarre jingoism is still misplaced.

You, in your own store, sell a whole line of made-in-China bikes. I don’t know what’s got you so frothed up about China, but clearly on a logical level you know it’s ridiculous and I think your anger is coming from that cognitive dissonance.
Likes For sasa_ke:
Old 04-11-21, 07:53 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
It wasn't Giant (cheap bikes, but Taiwan made, not fraudulently awful). It was a brand name though.
What are you talking about? Giant carbon fiber frames are often cited as some of the highest quality carbon you can buy at any price point. Giant has some of the most advanced, vertically integrated carbon manufacturing capabilities in the industry. Giant makes bikes for all the largest brands. They are also not "cheap".
Look at Amazon/Allibaba. Chinese companies ARE producing direct to consumer things like Eurobike, Begasso, and the like. Fake everything. Shifters that run through the gears like 4 times before the bubble gum machine plastic crumbles, disc brakes that really don't work at all (scary stuff). Dropouts built so far out of paralleliity that the knock off derailleur won't shift the chain on the knock off freewheel. People are giving their kids these bikes. God help the ones that build them themselves. It's dangerous fraud.THESE ARE VEHICLES THAT WILL BE USED ON PUBLIC ROADWAYS.
China is the manufacturing workshop for the world. Basically every bike brand makes stuff in China. Chinese factories produce to their customer's desired spec, this can be very high quality if that's what the customer wants. You can't generalize an entire country based on no name garbage sold on Aliexpress. This is especially true with a country with a manufacturing base the size of China's. Even some of the "no name" Chinese "brands" like Hongfu/Dengfu, ICAN, Trifox and Winspace that sell directly make some truly excellent stuff.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 04-11-21, 08:03 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Seriously?
The phrase ‘made in China’ has been a running joke for 30 years and it is because of the overall poor quality of products that they produce. Not politics.
Essentially everything you buy likely has at least some component that was made in China. Is it all junk?
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 04-11-21, 08:19 AM
rwh 

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Was it a Murray?
Old 04-11-21, 08:29 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Essentially everything you buy likely has at least some component that was made in China. Is it all junk?
No it isn’t.
That wasn’t my point.
My point was that in general, things made in China have had a bad reputation for years and it’s not necessarily political as other people have suggested in this thread.
Old 04-11-21, 08:33 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
Does Trek make good bikes?
edit: In China?

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-11-21 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 08:39 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
Let's change the subject.
Does Spesh make good bikes?
edit: In China?
Old 04-11-21, 08:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Seriously?
I have never heard that phrase used in that way – and I would remember, since I grew up in an era in which “made in Japan“ was a common insult. At any rate, that line betrays severe selective thinking, since many incredible items are built in China – like the iPhone on which I am sending this message. And plenty of junk is made in other countries, including the United States.

It’s a bit amazing that the OP, who apparently is in the retail side of the bike industry, has so little understanding of how modern manufacturing is done.
Old 04-11-21, 08:56 AM
La Brea Bike

Originally Posted by Koyote
I t’s a bit amazing that the OP, who apparently is in the retail side of the bike industry, has so little understanding of how modern manufacturing is done.
Re-read my background again. In most countries, if you produce fake or dangerous goods, you will be sued or your country's safety organization will shut you down.. Yes, they did execute some people for making poisonous pet food a few years ago, but in numerous cases, things that been sent here in the last 4-5 months could be considered the same care for humans.
Old 04-11-21, 09:06 AM
La Brea Bike

Originally Posted by Hiro11
What are you talking about? Giant carbon fiber frames are often cited as some of the highest quality carbon you can buy at any price point. Giant has some of the most advanced, vertically integrated carbon manufacturing capabilities in the industry.
Please look up Giant's Corporate location. It's not mainland China. TAIWAN is the mecca for quality bike production. We have not worked on anything I would consider fraudulent or dangerous from Taiwan in the Covid boom. In fact, I can't remember getting anything sketchy from that location ever. Oh, and yes, Giant contract produces for almost every bike company. They make a range of stuff from the top notch to $250. Even their $250 offerings aren't dangerous or fraudulent.

Last edited by La Brea Bike; 04-11-21 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 09:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I'm just trying to understand what the point of this thread is. If it's just China bashing, then I can move it to P&R.

I'm sure anyone that works in a shop is going to see some horror stories due to bike brands scrambling to get parts. Bike companies are pushing their suppliers to make more parts, mistakes will be made. The person that put the crank in the OP together probably had a few milliseconds to scan it and throw it aside and messed up. We had a no-name crank with the pedal hole drilled crooked. But guess what, we warrantied it and nobody ever got the chance to have a problem with it on their new bike. If consumers don't understand the value of that service and buy direct, they are going to end up trying to source a crank that isn't available right now.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-11-21, 09:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
So... I'm going to stick to the China fingerpointing, I'm guessing I personally see ~8,000 unique bikes per year on average. Teeth of this shape are a first I have seen in four years of this volume. Oh; and I am a former Quality Manager for a car company. I'm sure you are an expert, but I doubt this met the contract specs.
No matter where or whom manufactured it, it's the person or entity selling the product that really bears the responsibility for this kind of stuff. IMO. If they have no quality control standards that they told the mfr they wanted to go by, or don't do their own Q&A to find this stuff before they sell it to you, then they are more wrong. And likely they do no quality control. Nor have they even specified to the manufacturer what was acceptable or unacceptable.

China and many Asian countries can do really good precision manufacturing or they can do really bad manufacturing. It seems that something about their thinking allows them to use exactly the amount of product quality control that is specified by the importer or re-seller of the products.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-11-21, 09:26 AM
La Brea Bike

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm just trying to understand what the point of this thread is. If it's just China bashing, then I can move it to P&R.

I'm sure anyone that works in a shop is going to see some horror stories due to bike brands scrambling to get parts. Bike companies are pushing their suppliers to make more parts, mistakes will be made. The person that put the crank in the OP together probably had a few milliseconds to scan it and throw it aside and messed up. We had a no-name crank with the pedal hole drilled crooked. But guess what, we warrantied it and nobody ever got the chance to have a problem with it on their new bike. If consumers don't understand the value of that service and buy direct, they are going to end up trying to source a crank that isn't available right now.
The point is in the last 5 month's this has become more and more common. It seems as if there is no care for the end user of this stuff, and no repercussions if people are injured or defrauded, unlike companies in the rest of the world.
Old 04-11-21, 09:56 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Okay, so it's just China bashing. I'm actually just going to close it. You might want to get approved to post in P&R if you aren't already.