Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear derailleur hanger just snapped off while installing RD

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-29-16, 09:52 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I don't know what the heck happened. I bought an Alivio rear derailleur off a guy, and when I went about installing it onto my bike frame, the hanger just snapped right off at one of the screws, while in the work stand. Could it be just because this frame is fairly old? It's an aluminum KHS frame about 20 years old or so.

Luckily KHS still has this hanger available, but it just sucks because this was supposed to be a budget spare parts build that I would have had ready to ride by this weekend, with awesome weather. But now I have to wait another week or more, with $30 more that I hadn't planned on spending.

Old 01-29-16, 09:56 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I don't know what the heck happened. I bought an Alivio rear derailleur off a guy, and when I went about installing it onto my bike frame, the hanger just snapped right off at one of the screws, while in the work stand. Could it be just because this frame is fairly old? It's an aluminum KHS frame about 20 years old or so.

Luckily KHS still has this hanger available, but it just sucks because this is a budget spare parts built that I would have had ready to ride by this weekend with awesome weather. But now I have to wait another week or more, with $30 more that I hadn't planned on spending.

Ouch! That does suck. Probably just fatigued from years of use.

Guess you'll have to ride your other bike, this weekend. Don't let this stop you enjoying the rare fantastic weather!
Old 01-29-16, 09:56 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
It had probably already been bent and manually straightened more than once. This works as a temporary fix, but replaceable derailleur hangers are replaceable precisely because they are not repairable.
Old 01-29-16, 09:58 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

Luckily KHS still has this hanger available, but it just sucks because this was supposed to be a budget spare parts build that I would have had ready to ride by this weekend, with awesome weather. But now I have to wait another week or more, with $30 more that I hadn't planned on spending.

I would bet that area where it starts to get thin behind the bolt was corroded. When you put some pressure on it, it broke.
Does the broken edge look clean an shiny or chalky white and gray?
Old 01-29-16, 10:01 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Nope, no corrosion that I could tell when I removed it.

Most places I looked wanted $30 for a new RD hanger, plus shipping. Surprisingly, KHS was the cheapest at $20 plus shipping.

As far as riding, I had planned on riding around looking for off-road connections between neighborhoods. My other bikes aren't set up for off-road which is why I'm building this one back up as a type of "gravel grinder" bike. Oh well, I'll just have to stick to the road for now, I guess.
Old 01-29-16, 10:17 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Installing a rear derailleur does not stress the hanger, so it must have been 99% broken already.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-29-16, 10:39 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
If it was getting ready to break, consider yourself lucky.
No worries about "eating" a RDER, wheel....
Old 01-29-16, 11:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Luckily KHS still has this hanger available,...
get several while they are still available .
Old 01-29-16, 11:32 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Maybe your bike is telling you it wants to be a single speed!
Old 01-29-16, 11:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Given the obvious wear on the frame (scratches at stay ends) it's likely that a previous stress (or many stresses) started the fatigue process which resulted in a weaker hanger. That the hanger also has varying steps in it's thickness and other stress risers (mount screw holes) it's no surprise that it broke. Did you get a second hanger to be ready for the next time (and save on the shipping costs too)? Andy.
Old 01-29-16, 12:20 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
If it was getting ready to break, consider yourself lucky.
No worries about "eating" a RDER, wheel....
+1 That hanger broke at a very good time
Old 01-29-16, 12:21 PM
PatrickGSR94

I've had the bike since 2006 and put about 1,000 miles on it in that time, and it's only been off road a couple of times. Mostly ridden on roads. Never crashed.

Not sure why it would be fatigued. Nothing has ever impacted the hanger that I know of. When I removed the original RD about 6 months ago to put on the Marin utility bike (signature), it was working and shifting fine then. It's been hanging up in the garage ever since.
Old 01-29-16, 11:02 PM
Rambino

Bikes: Verenti Millook, Cannondale Bad Boy. Ridgeback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think yourself lucky it didn't happen whilst you were cruising at 20 mph along a busy road during rush hour, which is exactly what happened to me a few months ago. Scary would be an understatement. Later that day I took the broken hanger to my LBS and they asked if I'd had a fall or dropped the bike recently, at which point it suddenly dawned on me, that very morning a gust of wind had blown my bike from leaning up against a wall down to the ground - derailleur side down. So, in essence, the hanger did its job: it protected the frame. It's there to be a sacrificial lamb for the greater good of protecting a much more expensive bike frame.

Last edited by Rambino; 01-29-16 at 11:06 PM.