Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I was impressed this !

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I was impressed this !

Old 03-20-21, 07:36 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Delete this

Delete

Last edited by Tomm Willians; 03-20-21 at 09:31 PM.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 03-20-21, 07:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
it pains me to see this.
Old 03-20-21, 07:55 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Neat Idea.

Old 03-20-21, 08:04 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Seems pretty insulting to me plus there is a safety issue there also. They would have been better buying her an ebike, IMO.
Old 03-20-21, 08:30 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
You do what you gotta do. That's what it would take for my wife to ride with me. I agree that it looks unsafe, but that bungee strap doesn't look like it has any tension on it. Looks like he's on his little chainring and she's on the big chainring and on a smaller cog on back.
Old 03-20-21, 08:56 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
That does not look safe.
Old 03-20-21, 08:57 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
I can’t even deal with this.
Old 03-20-21, 09:25 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Dear moderator please delete this thread at my request.
Old 03-20-21, 09:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
I have seen parents doing this with little kids...I always thought, damn that looks dangerous.

My wife has been a type 1 diabetic since she was 9 years old and everyone that has a family member with Diabetes knows, the diabetic not not the only one with the disease, the whole family more or less has it. We always have glucose on hand and have in out vehicles, her purse, and on occasion, I have some in my pocket. Diabetes just sucks all around and I am always hopeful that a cure will come in our lifetime, but I know that is not probable, but stay hopeful.

One day we went for a ride and lucky for us, we were at the local rail trail and it was actually not busy. The temps were mild and we were not riding hard and she has a much slower pace than I do, but at some point, about 12 miles in, I looked at her and could tell her blood sugar was dropping. I grabbed her monitor out of her pocket to see that it was dropping fast and we needed to stop. I gave her some glucose tablets and when I checked her water bottle, I realized she had not been drinking at all, . I made her drink some water which was difficult while her blood sugar was low and she is not thinking clearly. I finally got it to come up to 80's, and realized we had a long slow ride back to the truck. I told her to make sure her insulin pump was turned off and gave her a Gel to take. Getting her to eat a gel is the equivalent and giving a pill to a cat...it's going to be a battle, there will be scratching, and screaming. However, I needed her to be in a position to safely steer the bike as we headed back. As we were heading back, I had her monitor in my hands and kept an eye on it. I could see that there was something else going on as even though she had turned off her pump, we had a hard time keeping her blood sugar up. At 6 miles, she was back down to 65 and we stopped again. At this point, we were basically going 7 or 8 mph, which means we are looking at 1.5 hours to do 12 miles. I fought her again to take another gel along with 4 more glucose tablets and had her disconnect her tubing from the port. Once it went up to 100 we headed back down the path, I kept thinking 6 miles, piece of cake you can do this...but almost immediately, she dropped below 80....I told her to stopped pedaling, I will push you, just concentrate on steering the bike straight. This path has a couple little small hills, nothing major, about 35-40 ft, but it added another level of concern as I push her using my hand on her back, and continuing talking to her and remind her to focusing on staying straight so we don't tap wheels or anything like that. With me pushing her, we ended up going about 12 to 14 mph, so got back to the truck and little quicker.

Made it back safely, gave her a milk to drink and headed home. Once we got home, we realized after doing to research that her pump was malfunctioning and was still dispensing small amounts of insulin even though the pump was turned off. Had to have a new pump for overnight delivery.

So not sure what is worse, a rope or me pushing my wife who has low blood sugar and only having 1 hand of the handlebars.