Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 10:43 AM
AliB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[Help Needed] Bike storage at home

Hi, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to take a few minutes of your time with helping me with my final major project.

Just a brief introduction as to who and what I am doing:
I’m a Product & Furniture Design student currently in my third and final year at Kingston University, within Greater London. My final project is themed ‘Living with cycling’. In short, I will tackle the problem with storage of bike(s) within urban/city/town households.

The following questions will help me gauge and channel into whichever direction it takes me. Further development and insight will then follow and, finally a full working prototype. I order to make this project as successful as possible; I will need YOUR knowledge and first-hand experiences in order to do this.

This information will be invaluable towards my project and any information you give out, it will be an extensive part of my overall project.

Please answer the questions as fully as possible. The questions are as follows…

1) What do you use your bicycle for? I.e. commuting, fitness, enthusiast, or all of these

2) How many bikes do you own?

3) What type of dwelling do you reside in? I.e. house, flat, studio etc

4) Is it a rented property?

5) Where do you store your bike(s)?

6) Do you use existing bike storage solutions?

If no, why is that?

7) What are the problems/pain in the backside/hassles do you deal with when storing your bikes?

8) Imagine you have arrived outside your home, what are the step-by-step motions do you go through? (In as much detail as possible)

If you feel comfortable, you can email your answers to: lazyperfectionist@btinternet.com

Thank you very much for taking your time out to fill this in, and again all of the information given will pay dividends towards my final major project.

Alex
Old 01-28-11, 04:52 AM
AliB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has filled out my questions, much appreciated. More the merrier
Old 01-28-11, 01:58 PM
Herzeleid

Bikes: Giant xtc, EXS team carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) What do you use your bicycle for? I.e. commuting, fitness, enthusiast, or all of these
All of them

2) How many bikes do you own?

3) What type of dwelling do you reside in? I.e. house, flat, studio etc
Flat

4) Is it a rented property?
Yes

5) Where do you store your bike(s)?
The roadbike is in the flat, the others are in the bicycle room (shared with the other tennants) in the basement

6) Do you use existing bike storage solutions?
Nope

If no, why is that?
Havent bothered with any of them yet. I have plans for a DIY solution for the roadbike. I'll get started on it any year now

7) What are the problems/pain in the backside/hassles do you deal with when storing your bikes?
The roadbike gets in the way.

8) Imagine you have arrived outside your home, what are the step-by-step motions do you go through? (In as much detail as possible)

I carry the roadbike up a couple of stairs and put it in the flat. For the others: I go to the bicycle room, lock it and go up a couple of stairs.