Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

types of rear sprockets? single speed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 09:16 PM
mriley
mriley

Bikes: vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

On trips to Boston (I'm in CA) I have access to an single speed (3 year old Schwinn Racer - single speed, coaster brakes, not a cruiser). I want to install a bigger (1 or 2 tooth) sprocket on the rear. The mechanics are no problem. I'm just wondering how many types of sprockets are there. I'd like to buy one here and take it with me. I'm familiar with Shimano and old SA single speed sprockets. What else is there? If there are dozens, I'll just wait until I get there.
M Riley
Old 04-23-12, 09:31 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i can't find anything on the type of rear hub you have, so i'll tell you what i have found.

1) i have a recent vintage Sturmey archer coaster brake hub that has a number of sprockets available for it. in the 19-23 tooth range. give or take. you can buy them online at Harris Cyclery, oddly enough in Boston, i think. you can probably pick them up at your LBS too.

2) i have a few old road threadon freewheel hubs that accept single speed freewheels in the 16-20ish range. i like the new ACS "Crossfire" ones. available online from many sites.

3) i have a couple old shimano hyperglide hubs that single hyperglide cogs. using spacers gives me great chainlines. single cogs are available from 12t thru the high twenties i would imagine. maybe higher. available from shimano, surly, and miche, among others.

i might add that some of these are designed for 1/8" chain and some for 3/32" chain.
Old 04-24-12, 05:04 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
1) i have a recent vintage Sturmey archer coaster brake hub that has a number of sprockets available for it. in the 19-23 tooth range. give or take.
Actually, Sturmey-Archer and Surly make splined cogs down to 13 teeth:

And they do fit on the old SA hubs as well as the new ones. Here's the 13T Surly cog on a 1957 SW hub:

Old 04-24-12, 06:21 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by mriley
I have access to an single speed (3 year old Schwinn Racer - single speed, coaster brakes, not a cruiser)
This is the key word. I, and maybe others, were initially thinking of the Racer from the 60s. This new model is more of a "fixie" type bike except that it has a coaster brake.

Not sure what type of sprocket attachment it uses, you'll need to know at the very least whether it is threaded or splined.
Old 04-24-12, 06:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Brompton also got cogs for their Sachs supplied 3 by 2 hub in 3/32",

a 13 and a 15t with 3 short, shift gate, teeth .. AW3 pattern spline..