Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Arrogant road cyclists?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Arrogant road cyclists?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 11:25 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RPK79
What would those two know, they aren't even using deep section rims.
Old 05-27-14, 11:29 AM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
By the way, OP was on a hybrid. Just sayin'.
Good point. If we roadies start waving to people on hybrids, where does it stop? Next thing we'll be expected to wave to kids riding Big Wheels!
Old 05-27-14, 11:29 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by ljp3
Agree with most of this.

Don't worry about people not waving, if you want to wave just keep doing it.

Riding two abreast on narrow roads, yeah pretty jerky thing to do. Happened to me yesterday two guys coming towards me chit chatting oblivious to the rest of the world. I always ride the right quarter of the path, so I moved to right center to let them know I wasn't going to be comfortable with them crossing that center line (we were either going to cross during a turn or as I was coming out of it). I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they were going to move over regardless of what I did.

I disagree with only moving over when it is safe for a car to pass, I think that is the opposite of being safe. The same reason I am not tailgating when I drive, or when I am my motorcycle I am not hanging out in someones blind spot, you never know what someone is going to do. In this scenario a safe driver is not going to pass you anyway, and an A$$ is going to do it regardless.
If it's not safe for the car to pass, what have you achieved by moving over? It's still not safe, but you're inviting them to make a pass anyway.
Old 05-27-14, 11:30 AM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paging "Arrogant Road Cyclist":
Yes, I'm here. How may I help a Fred in need?
Old 05-27-14, 11:35 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by danmc
Good point. If we roadies start waving to people on hybrids, where does it stop? Next thing we'll be expected to wave to kids riding Big Wheels!
They need to at least learn the elite roadie signs first. The basic finger twitch of the left hand, the spasmodic head dip. It's kind of arrogant to expect roadies to adapt to their signs like the big circle wave if they're not willing to put at least that much effort into it.

Geeze, now that you mention it I think the kids on Big Wheels "get" the signals better than the hybrids.
Old 05-27-14, 11:36 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
More often than not, I get the 'you are a looser on a flat bar bike, dressed like a fred and I am beyond you' type look as a response..
How do you get this look in the 1.5 seconds it takes to pass another cyclist? And even if you could make eye contact, with someone most likely in sunglasses, how does that get conveyed in a glance?

I rode a flat bar bike on group rides for three years, and had several people make comments about my bike, some positive and some negative. I never once saw a look on the face of an oncoming cyclist that said all of that. I was perfectly pleased with what I rode, and never felt diminished or exalted by someone's glance.

Perhaps you are seeing your own insecurity about your choices reflected in their mirrored glasses?
Old 05-27-14, 11:41 AM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
By the way, OP was on a hybrid. Just sayin'.
Would you explain what you mean by this? I'm just trying to follow the discussion.
Old 05-27-14, 11:45 AM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampDude
Would you explain what you mean by this? I'm just trying to follow the discussion.
If you have to ask...............
Old 05-27-14, 11:53 AM
wphamilton

It's a joke, semi-in-joke. The cliches are that road bike cyclists are all contemptuous of hybrid riders, and hybrid bikes are always chasing down and dropping the road bike riders, enjoying the expressions of hopeless despair as they pass. Since the waving thread is also a cliche it's just a bit of piling on.
Old 05-27-14, 11:54 AM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP should attack and drop the roadies on a steep hill. On a hybrid bike that will surely earn their attention if not admiration and perhaps affection.
Old 05-27-14, 11:54 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonaRider125
They don't wave back to me usually,
Are you really that needy?

Originally Posted by KonaRider125
ride double wide on the narrow country roads, and they don't move over for vehicles.
In some situations it's safer to control the entire lane rather than moving over and letting vehicles squeeze by you, especially if there's oncoming traffic.
Old 05-27-14, 12:09 PM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pug
OP should attack and drop the roadies on a steep hill. On a hybrid bike that will surely earn their attention if not admiration and perhaps affection.
He can be like that guy in A&S who passes roadies in kits and posts the videos as some sort of proud accomplishment.
Old 05-27-14, 12:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't. Sometimes my wave is returned, sometimes it's not. I try to not take it personally.
Old 05-27-14, 12:13 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Dude, I'm joking.
Old 05-27-14, 12:25 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Just real quickly because I've never experienced your roads but in general there's a flip side.

* Some roadies don't wave because they're focused. Others see it as irrelevant unless they know you, and they do have a point when you think about it.

* Riding double on narrow roads is no more disruptive than riding single. When the lane is too narrow to safely share.

* They should move over for vehicles, but only when it's safe for the vehicle to pass them in the same lane. A driver doesn't always realize that, and will sometimes squeeze by as soon as the bike moves over. You can't encourage that if you want to live.

* I don't ride in groups so maybe I see a different crowd, but I see a lot less arrogance from roadies than I see from the weekend warriors and self-appointed "ride marshals" on the MUP. Especially this time of year. I don't think any category of cyclists generally has a preponderance of it.
I tried to explain this to my brother in NJ the other day after he told me about the knuckleheads taking up "the whole road."
Turns out it was a 2-lane road, no shoulder and there was oncoming traffic. I explained that the cyclists need to take the lane if they want to be safe.
His response was basically that they should not ride bikes at all then.

If it's a 2-lane road with no shoulder and no oncoming traffic, I always get over if being passed from behind if I'm riding with someone else but I guess it doesn't matter since the car will pass in the other lane anyway, no?
Old 05-27-14, 12:26 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Yankeetowner
I didn't see anything except the tire immediately in front of me.
If you are focusing only on the wheel in front of you, you are doing it wrong.
Old 05-27-14, 12:40 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by pvillemasher
I tried to explain this to my brother in NJ the other day after he told me about the knuckleheads taking up "the whole road."
Turns out it was a 2-lane road, no shoulder and there was oncoming traffic. I explained that the cyclists need to take the lane if they want to be safe.
His response was basically that they should not ride bikes at all then.

If it's a 2-lane road with no shoulder and no oncoming traffic, I always get over if being passed from behind if I'm riding with someone else but I guess it doesn't matter since the car will pass in the other lane anyway, no?
Yeah, straddling the line or all the way to the other lane to pass shouldn't make any difference to the car. Some drivers don't see it that way though, feeling that "taking up the whole road" is somehow worse than taking up just enough that they can't pass.
Old 05-27-14, 12:43 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
This not funny, nor meant to be taken that way. But these "arrogant roadie did not wave at poor old me" threads are beginning to sound a lot like the young man who shot up and stabbed all those people at UCSB.

His anger was directed at people (mostly women) who were in his warped view arrogant and stuck up and routinely ignored him. Not saying that anyone here is going to go on a shooting/stabbing rampage just because their wave is not returned. But ask yourselves this, are the riders posting these "didn't wave" thread lacking so much in self-esteem that they need constant affirmation from other riders? Does it really affect your enjoyment of the ride if another rider does not return your wave, nod, or wink?

Just because we are all engaged in the same activity--riding a bike--does not mean that we must all forced to relate to each at the 'wave level."

I am a USC football fan, I don't expect everyone wearing a USC cap or tee-shirt to wave at me when I am wearing USC attire.

On the roads where I ride, there are many riders who belong to development teams and they are in training for the racing season. They are WORKING and not engaged in a leisurely Sunday stroll. I don't expect them to wave at me, in fact I don't wave at them--they are busy working.

OTOH, a few times these same "arrogant" roadies have slowed down long enough to give me a "lift" or have actually asked me if I needed help if I was stopped by the side of the road.

That gesture is worth more to me (and it should to you as well) than any stupid wave, nod, or wink.

And remember, to a blind man a wink is as good as a nod.
Old 05-27-14, 12:45 PM
Yankeetowner

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
If you are focusing only on the wheel in front of you, you are doing it wrong.
I'll add it to the long list of things I am doing wrong. I do glance up occasionally, but I primarily was watching to make sure I didn't hit the wheel in front of me, and to stay close enough to keep the draft. I'm not looking to wave at someone. At my age I was just working as hard as I could to keep up with much younger and stronger riders, which to me is a big part of the fun of group riding. My point was that I often don't have the energy nor elite riding skills to wave while fighting for my life to keep in the draft.
Old 05-27-14, 12:45 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
Agreed. That's why I made sure I mentioned the escape clause ("as long as it is safe"). WA has the FRAP law, but I always ride outside the door zone, too, since it is totally unsafe to ride near those parked cars. I try not to use bike lanes when they are right next to the parallel parking spots. That's a pretty dumb design, if you ask me.

I mentioned the FRAP because the OP seemed to assume it is illegal for the bicycles to take the full lane where he/she lives.

Thanks for the info. That's in line with the FRAP law we have in Washington State.
Unfortunately, one of the three main routes out from home base is just such a design.

33°11'47.45" N 117°17'30.69" W

There is an alley behind these houses that gets me through most of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sdf.jpg (101.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-27-14, 12:48 PM
RIRview

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2 Project One

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Stupid thread about a stupid topic that has been covered stupid to the nth power with typically stupid responses. Sit in a bath of vinegar 20 minutes each day to thicken your skin enough that you will no longer post these stupid threads. Unless of course, you are a stupid troll, in which case I am sure we will see more stupid threads.
Isn't it amazing how some people get all torqued up over that dreaded four-letter word "wave."

If I'm hammering on and I'm completely focused on what I'm doing I won't have the time or energy to wave. However, if I'm cruising through residential areas at a moderate pace and I see another roadie, I'll wave or nod. Why not? It's an acknowledgement that him or her has a common interest with me.
Old 05-27-14, 12:49 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Another "someone didn't wave to me" thread?

Also, I don't move over for vehicles. In California cyclists have the right to the entire lane. If you educate yourself on bike safety you'll find that moving over is the wrong thing to do. Take the lane and make cars pass you as they would another car. If you move over that will encourage them to squeeze you and buzz you and eventually some idiot is going to run you off the road or force you into a parked car and you'll be dead. I don't care if someone in a car feels inconvenience for 10 seconds while they wait to pass me.
This is how I have survived 30 years and hundreds of thousands of km of riding. DONT MOVE OVER. That is an invitation to get run off the road.

Old 05-27-14, 12:49 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Pug
There is no affection. It doesn't exist.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-27-14, 12:52 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Unfortunately, one of the three main routes out from home base is just such a design.

33°11'47.45" N 117°17'30.69" W

There is an alley behind these houses that gets me through most of it.
This is just asking for trouble... what a dumb design!
Old 05-27-14, 12:53 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
This not funny, nor meant to be taken that way. But these "arrogant roadie did not wave at poor old me" threads are beginning to sound a lot like the young man who shot up and stabbed all those people at UCSB.

His anger was directed at people (mostly women) who were in his warped view arrogant and stuck up and routinely ignored him. Not saying that anyone here is going to go on a shooting/stabbing rampage just because their wave is not returned. But ask yourselves this, are the riders posting these "didn't wave" thread lacking so much in self-esteem that they need constant affirmation from other riders? Does it really affect your enjoyment of the ride if another rider does not return your wave, nod, or wink?

Just because we are all engaged in the same activity--riding a bike--does not mean that we must all forced to relate to each at the 'wave level."

I am a USC football fan, I don't expect everyone wearing a USC cap or tee-shirt to wave at me when I am wearing USC attire.

On the roads where I ride, there are many riders who belong to development teams and they are in training for the racing season. They are WORKING and not engaged in a leisurely Sunday stroll. I don't expect them to wave at me, in fact I don't wave at them--they are busy working.

OTOH, a few times these same "arrogant" roadies have slowed down long enough to give me a "lift" or have actually asked me if I needed help if I was stopped by the side of the road.

That gesture is worth more to me (and it should to you as well) than any stupid wave, nod, or wink.

And remember, to a blind man a wink is as good as a nod.
Good point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.