Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What's on your cycling goal/challenge/to do list for 2018?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What's on your cycling goal/challenge/to do list for 2018?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 11:50 AM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Just to ride more, wether it be mountain or road it really doesnt matter
Old 01-01-18, 12:08 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Hmm. I have to think about it. Maybe this is the year I will do a multi day tour.
Old 01-02-18, 05:11 AM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My goal for this year is to commute to work at least part of the way. It's 17 miles each way.

Now when I was younger that would be nothing but now it's gonna be at least 90 minutes. On top of that I have a 13 hour shift on my feet all day on a busy medical ward, I'm a nurse. That's what has put me off before but hopefully now this year I'll come up with a solution.
Old 01-02-18, 08:12 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
My 2018 goal will be to ride 7000 miles. After a two-year total hiatus from cycling I started riding again in late August of this year, and am currently sitting at 2270 miles for the year. I've been sick for the last two days so I got zero miles in yesterday, but I'm feeling a little better today and I'll be going out for a ride shortly. If I can finish the week very strong I may break 2500 miles for the year. Factoring in the low mileage I got in for that first month or two after I started riding again, I think 7000 is a reasonable goal.

I'm currently saving up some pennies in a separate account, and when it adds up to $833 I'll be buying the Quarq DFour power meter and installing it on my bike (actually need a little more than that since I'll need a new BB too). I'm very interesting in measuring my actual FTP, seeing real calorie burn measurements, etc. I think it will enhance my training and give me some new things to set goals for.
Since you have multiple bikes will you be able to swap this onto all of the bikes?
Just wondering.
Old 01-02-18, 09:35 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Since you have multiple bikes will you be able to swap this onto all of the bikes?
Just wondering.
Since both of my road bikes use BSA BBs in theory I could swap the Quarq between them (when I get it), but in practice I won't. It would be more work than it's worth. My new bike is my primary bike now, and my old bike is essentially relegated to the role of backup in case the primary bike goes down for something.
Old 01-02-18, 12:40 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I have set my cycling goals to be 5000 miles for year as I can get more weekday rides in thanks to Zwift. Soon I should be able to add outside riding (Surgeon follow up on 1/17/18 and hope to be cleared to ride outdoors by end of month). I have set daily mileage goal of 15 miles a day at least 333 days per year and 100 mile weeks. I have signed up for AIDS Lifecycle 2018 and I hope to be in the best shape possible for that challenge. I did not set a weight loss goal but I am aiming for at least a 20-25 lb weight loss by June.
Old 01-02-18, 01:39 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Been kicking this around for a few days now ... so here we go.

3,600 miles ... stretch goal of 4,000
Udder Century on 6/3/18
Ride Across Wisconsin on 8/11
Harmon Hundred on 9/9
Get my weight down to 250 pounds
Get involved with a local cycling club
Get my wife riding more
Old 01-02-18, 01:43 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by maletero
I just moved back to Tucson after 15 years away, and just got back outside on the bike after a few years of a weird work schedule that didn't allow for anything more than 45 minutes/day on a trainer. It's nice to be back outside!

My goal for 2018 is to ride the Tour de Tucson, a century I didn't finish last time I was in town because of a busted spoke at mile 57. No idea how many miles that'll yield, but that's the big goal. Third Saturday in Nov.

(New here, please be gentle.)
Interested in Tucson as a retirement destination. Before that though, I'd really like to ride the El Tour De Tucson in November. Close to 10k in riders. Have you ridden it or heard of it? Would be a good excuse to check out the area!

I know the Tucson area is a mecca of sorts for cycling so how is it really?

As per the thread, looking to do 3,500 plus this year which is about my average. Going to try and travel to do some different rides like Tour de Tucson, Horrible Hundred in Florida or maybe a Trek sponsored event. Have wanted to do Cycle Greater Yellowstone for last 4 years but life has gotten in the way. On schedule for at least 5-6 major charity events but really need to work on some out of state rides and such. Basically, need some more motivation instead of just doing the same rides in the general area.
Old 01-02-18, 01:56 PM
maletero

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
Interested in Tucson as a retirement destination. Before that though, I'd really like to ride the El Tour De Tucson in November. Close to 10k in riders. Have you ridden it or heard of it? Would be a good excuse to check out the area!

I rode in the Tour in Tucson back in 2003, when it was several thousand, but it has grown. Busted spoke kept me from finishing. I'm a bit nervous about the sheer number of people in that ride!

As for Tucson as a bike mecca, there are a lot of bike lanes, a lot of great rides, and a lot of really nice weather! I think drivers down here are a bit more aware of cyclists than other places I've been.

Good luck on your 2018 goals!
Old 01-02-18, 02:02 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts

I was surprised at how ****ty the roads were. But, it's certainly a cycling hotspot. Especially when I went in early March. I was there for a training camp and we saw a ton of cyclists, especially on Mt. Lemmon. Tucson was the only place I was honked at and flipped off for riding my bike. I suspect it was because we were wearing military cycling jerseys on and the dudes weren't fans of the military

The weather! That's why you go there, amazing weather. As someone who usually resides 2 hours from the Canadian border, and at the time we had received over 60" of snow for the year, the weather was it for me.

Anyway, there IS lots of good riding around the area. I only spent a bit of time in the city riding some loop they have there. Not really impressed with that much, but Kitt Peak, Madera Canyon, and Mt. Lemmon more than make up for it.

People were very nice too. I took two Uber's and they were extremely gracious drivers. I'd love to go back. I'd love to climb Mt. Lemmon without 10K feet of climbing during the previous 4 days in my legs. I made it to the top, and the cookie shack, but I was getting sick from the overtraining. I struggled up that Mountain.

Again, I'd definitely go back.
Old 01-02-18, 02:54 PM
maletero

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
I was surprised at how ****ty the roads were.
Yeah, a lot of the roads are VERY bad. I'm lucky enough to be out on the edge with enough new road that I can do a reasonable ride without shaking my fillings out.

Now back to the 2018 goals!
Old 01-03-18, 09:16 AM
rutan74

Originally Posted by maletero
I rode in the Tour in Tucson back in 2003, when it was several thousand, but it has grown. Busted spoke kept me from finishing. I'm a bit nervous about the sheer number of people in that ride!

As for Tucson as a bike mecca, there are a lot of bike lanes, a lot of great rides, and a lot of really nice weather! I think drivers down here are a bit more aware of cyclists than other places I've been.

Good luck on your 2018 goals!
I have seen a few photos and the crowd looks massive. I've ridden with 1200 but not 8000! I would imagine it takes a while just to pass under the start banner.

Did you opt for the century? I would not go if I did not do the century. Coming from South Carolina that is quite a trek to not go the full monty. I know there are some Trek camps/rides during November and I might just do one of those before I'd do the El Tour. Ever think of doing it again?

If my health stays with me over the next few years, Tucson, or the surrounding area is looking very interesting.

thanks for the info.
Old 01-03-18, 09:26 AM
rutan74

I was surprised at how ****ty the roads were. But, it's certainly a cycling hotspot. Especially when I went in early March. I was there for a training camp and we saw a ton of cyclists, especially on Mt. Lemmon. Tucson was the only place I was honked at and flipped off for riding my bike. I suspect it was because we were wearing military cycling jerseys on and the dudes weren't fans of the military

The weather! That's why you go there, amazing weather. As someone who usually resides 2 hours from the Canadian border, and at the time we had received over 60" of snow for the year, the weather was it for me.

Anyway, there IS lots of good riding around the area. I only spent a bit of time in the city riding some loop they have there. Not really impressed with that much, but Kitt Peak, Madera Canyon, and Mt. Lemmon more than make up for it.

People were very nice too. I took two Uber's and they were extremely gracious drivers. I'd love to go back. I'd love to climb Mt. Lemmon without 10K feet of climbing during the previous 4 days in my legs. I made it to the top, and the cookie shack, but I was getting sick from the overtraining. I struggled up that Mountain.

Again, I'd definitely go back.
When did you go there? Was the camp a cycling camp or some other kind of camp? Mt Lemmon is a bucket list ride for me too. Maybe as I said in a previous post of attending a Trek sponsored camp and doing it then.

As far as getting beeped at, I get that plenty so I'm pretty used to it. Been bit by a dog twice and even hit a dog, so that stuff really doesn't bother me. At my age, I'm lucky to hear the honking!

I am a bit surprised though that the roads are a bit crappy. You would think without a freeze thaw cycle that the roads would stay relatively smooth. Maybe the sun kills the asphalt.

As far as living up North, I lived 28 years in Massachusetts, so I know all about cold and snow. That is one of the reasons I moved to South Carolina 14 years ago. We can cycle down here almost all year with maybe an exception of January when it is "only" in the 40's. I know, that sounds funny but that's why the birdies fly south and that is why Tucson is very appealing to me. Lastly, it doesn't hurt when the Misses wants to move somewhere WARMER! I'm all for it.

john
Old 01-03-18, 09:54 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Keep it simple and successful since cycling is the majority of my cardio but I also play tennis weekly and I deal with winter conditions.

- Cycle atleast once per week outside for 1 hour+
- Spin alteast two times per week inside for 1 hour+
- Complete a 60, 75 & 100 mile cycling event
- Try to improve climbing which is difficult since most of year spent in DFW area
Old 01-03-18, 10:22 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Goals for this year.
A couple 200k's. My dear GF has decided to join me!!!!!
Commute while I still can once the weather permits.
get down to 200 from 240 and force blood pressure down to normal the hard way...

Towards these ends I've been spending time in my trainer. I definitely need to hot the hyperspace button on the prep. I've ordered a kikr, and dear GF will inherit my old trainer.

If she trains in any significant amount she'll get fast quick as I'm definitely holding her back on the road.
Old 01-03-18, 11:52 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
When did you go there? Was the camp a cycling camp or some other kind of camp? Mt Lemmon is a bucket list ride for me too. Maybe as I said in a previous post of attending a Trek sponsored camp and doing it then.

As far as getting beeped at, I get that plenty so I'm pretty used to it. Been bit by a dog twice and even hit a dog, so that stuff really doesn't bother me. At my age, I'm lucky to hear the honking!

I am a bit surprised though that the roads are a bit crappy. You would think without a freeze thaw cycle that the roads would stay relatively smooth. Maybe the sun kills the asphalt.

As far as living up North, I lived 28 years in Massachusetts, so I know all about cold and snow. That is one of the reasons I moved to South Carolina 14 years ago. We can cycle down here almost all year with maybe an exception of January when it is "only" in the 40's. I know, that sounds funny but that's why the birdies fly south and that is why Tucson is very appealing to me. Lastly, it doesn't hurt when the Misses wants to move somewhere WARMER! I'm all for it.

john

I went last year first week of March it was 80's and low 90's for the high...amazing. It was for a military endurance sports group I belong to. It was a cycling camp but we also had our triathlete team members there as well. The group consists of active duty members, retiree's, veterans and we also have an adaptive cycling team along with an long distance ultra marathon running group too. There were about a hundred of us total.

Yes, the roads threw me for a loop too. After living in SoCal for a number of years I expected roads a little more smooth like the Cali ones since the climates are similar and they don't have the freeze thaw stuff you mentioned that we do here in the north.

Mt Lemmon was amazing. And relentless. But a great personal accomplishment. You should definitely try to do it some time. I'm new to road cycling and apparently the climb is well enough known that it means "something".
Old 01-03-18, 12:12 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Stava stats said I was active 150days last year. I'd love to increase that even 10%

*Bike 5000 miles (2017 4450)
*Climb 250,000ft (2017 214k)
*Complete Century a month for the ENTIRE freaking year (2017 got 10/12 done!! I got a vasectomy done in Nov and knocked me off the bike for long rides..excuses excuses but still wasn't done)
*Race my MTB more
*Don't crash hard or let things crash into me
*Mix more running into my schedule
*Drop more weight (same rollercoaster like most)
*Get more family rides in, my daughter (5) just got a nice 16" bmx from Santa, bigger wheels = go farther!!
*Complete my 4th BWR, this yrs course is 143miles and 13k vertical on mixed surfaces and skinny tires
*Ride from San Francisco to San Diego in 7 days again, it was ALLOT of fun last year!! Hope the hwy1 will be open, the central valley SUCKED!!
*Most important is enjoy the journey and take more photos along the way. follow my instagram for pics @jsigone
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 01-03-18, 02:35 PM
rutan74

I went last year first week of March it was 80's and low 90's for the high...amazing. It was for a military endurance sports group I belong to. It was a cycling camp but we also had our triathlete team members there as well. The group consists of active duty members, retiree's, veterans and we also have an adaptive cycling team along with an long distance ultra marathon running group too. There were about a hundred of us total.

Yes, the roads threw me for a loop too. After living in SoCal for a number of years I expected roads a little more smooth like the Cali ones since the climates are similar and they don't have the freeze thaw stuff you mentioned that we do here in the north.

Mt Lemmon was amazing. And relentless. But a great personal accomplishment. You should definitely try to do it some time. I'm new to road cycling and apparently the climb is well enough known that it means "something".
Sounds like fun. I mean your camp, not Lemmon.

Lemmon is on my bucket list but as my age creeps further up, my legs seem to move in the opposite direction. I have to get this done in the next couple of years or I'm afraid time will pass me by.

I have seen the profile and it is somewhat similar to Mt Mitchell in N.C. which is the highest peak east of the Mississippi. Mitchell is a beast coming from Marion, NC at 26 miles long where the last 21 are all uphill with the lone exception of one downhill section that is about 2 miles long on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've hit the summit 4 times and each has been a killer. 3.5-4 hours of climbing is no fun but as they say, the views are worth it. So I think I can do Lemmon but that is being very cautious. I know it is a really long and tough climb. Then again, that voice in the back of my head is constantly asking, "do you really want to suffer like an animal again?" As I age, becoming a "flat lander" gets more and more appealing.

john
Old 01-03-18, 02:58 PM
miksi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- buy a right size road bike (big enough)
- fit a right size road bike
- ride it
- a metric century here and there