Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Lumos helmet

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Lumos helmet

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-18, 07:11 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Thought I'd update this thread now that the dark times have returned.
Thanks for the update. I am new to winter commuting and have realized that, under certain snow conditions, it is not ideal to remove either hand from the bars to signal a turn. In these same conditions, it is also not ideal for the vehicle behind to not know that you are turning left. Either of these can result in a very dangerous situation. I am thinking this helmet may help address my concerns. Are the lights bright enough to be seen in the daylight?
Old 12-08-18, 07:50 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Seems gimmicky and after being hit by a van, I've given up helmets. Maybe when the daughter comes I'll wear one again to set a good example.
Old 12-09-18, 04:45 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
Are the lights bright enough to be seen in the daylight?
I would say probably not.
Old 12-09-18, 07:36 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Well, my wife has been asking me what I want for Christmas. I found a decent price on one of these with MIPS, so I let her know. Hopefully it will fit my needs.
Old 12-09-18, 01:26 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Seems gimmicky.
Well, yes and no. The blinker thing strikes me as gimmicky (though not a bad idea). Otherwise, it's just a helmet and lights, neither of which are gimmicky. There are other ways to pair a helmet and lights, of course, but I find this combination to be convenient and practical.

Originally Posted by acidfast7
and after being hit by a van, I've given up helmets..
I don't understand this. How did that turn you away from helmets? I've had three accidents in the past ten years (two off-road and one while commuting) where I landed on my head. Those have confirmed the value of helmets to me.
Old 12-10-18, 01:20 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Well, yes and no. The blinker thing strikes me as gimmicky (though not a bad idea). Otherwise, it's just a helmet and lights, neither of which are gimmicky. There are other ways to pair a helmet and lights, of course, but I find this combination to be convenient and practical.

I can understand why techy people can get excited but this is why I don't and I'm not trolling (like I usually do) but being serious.

It's a helmet ... OK ... that's a personal choice, see below.

It has electrics in it and it's expensive, so I can't treat it like another helmet. Most helmets, where I work, just get locked through the strap with the bike lock and left outside. So, I'd have to worry about someone stealing it, or it getting damaged in the overloaded bike lockers/racks that have broken my fenders.

However, I could bring it inside at every stop, most days, I stop at one place each direction on the commute. Do I want to lug it around the pub, supermarket, coffee shop, restaurant and lose use of a hand.

I went with very bright flashing USB-powered lights, that I can take off the bike and charge at any USB-socket in my kitchen or place that I stop at, without any hassle. They also fit into a normal blazer jacket/trenchcoat pocket and thus and thus can't be lost forgotten, require handholding. But that's more of a helmet issue that this particular helmet. I like my life simple and the helmet doesn't fit that scheme.

So, I don't see any additional "see me value" provided by such a light.

I don't understand this. How did that turn you away from helmets? I've had three accidents in the past ten years (two off-road and one while commuting) where I landed on my head. Those have confirmed the value of helmets to me.
The traffic on the island I live on is limited to 20 mph on most streets. I now only do 100% urban commuting. I was literally run over by a van that just accelerated through me when the light turned green. A helmet wouldn't have helped. In fact, just about everyone here has ditched them as the traffic is slow moving and most accidents are usually the fault of the CYCLIST not obeying traffic laws.

Thus, the additional hassle of having to haul/carry a helmet, coupled with the fact that bike lives outside during the day and thus the helmet gets wet all the time reduces the minimal gain from having it.

Thus, it's just not a product that I see the value of. Nor would most urban-only European commuters that never ride in cycling-specific clothing.

Just my 2c, maybe it works for your cycling conditions.

Last edited by acidfast7; 12-10-18 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-10-18, 01:50 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Most people here die after a collision with a bus ... usually a scraping incident ... it's most common in London ... a helmet doesn't help in those situations.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=southsea+cyclist+killed&safe=strict&ei=fRoOXNGVH-aF1fAPlK-7gA8&start=0&sa=N&ved=0ahUKEwiRyNad45TfAhXmQhUIHZTXDvA4ChDy0wMIiAE&biw=1280&bih=618

Those double decker buses are quite huge and tough to see around when driving.
Old 12-10-18, 06:10 AM
medic75

@acidfast7 - I am not going to tell you you're wrong. A helmet is a choice, and you make that choice for you. The only reason I began to wear a helmet was because I told my son that he has to wear a helmet and I decided to set a good example by doing what I expect him to do.

With that being said, I have several years of experience working as a paramedic, and I know the value of a helmet when it comes to knocking your head on something hard. The chance of this happening varies significantly depending on how an where you ride. Regardless, I view a helmet as an insurance policy at a reasonable cost - something you never want to take advantage of, but are glad it is there when you need it.

Now, I would like to get this back on topic - not the advantages of a wearing a helmet, but what makes this helmet different, if it works, and if it is worth it. I'm sure the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a helmet have been discussed here many times.

As for the Lumos Kickstart, it is somewhat expensive. The only way I could consider paying retail is if it were at my LBS so I could try it out (the see my value that acidfast7 refers to). If you can find a sale, $129 for quality MIPS helmet is not terrible. I like the layout of the turn signalling LEDs. While other helmets have blinking lights, I believe this helmet does a far better job of signalling your intentions. Being that drivers aren't used to turn signals on bikes, the signals need to not only present your presence, but also make your intentions clear. It is my opinion that competing helmets do not do this. My next concern is if these lights are bright enough for daylight use - I did manage to find a few online videos that make me feel better about this but, once again, I won't be sure until I can get my hands on one. It may be gimmicky, but so were mountain bikes, cellular phones, televisions, and even turn signals on cars. Anything a cyclist can do to improve their visibility and allow others to know their intentions is a good thing. Once I get my hands on one of these helmets I will be better able to review it. Until then I can only make decisions based on appearance and perceived function.
Old 12-10-18, 06:20 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I should point out that when I go on a proper cycle (enough to change clothing) ... I wear a helmet as it's a more high risk activity than commuting. When commuting I always defer to traffic and am not in rush.

When I'm actually cycling for sport/fun, I change clothing and wear a helmet as it's a different mindset. It's a workout/friendly competition, which commuting isn't.

Also, that price point seems standard as any reasonable tested helmet will be €/£100.
Old 01-05-19, 10:01 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Thought I'd update this thread now that the dark times have returned.

I've been using the Lumos for every commute, and as I had hoped my body has adapted. I can still feel that it's heavier, but at the end of a ride I don't feel any different than I do with a lighter helmet. I've reached the age where my body doesn't make many adaptations easily so this is good news.

I still haven't installed the switch to use the blinker feature. The lights definitely seem to boost my visibility. One of my neighbors who walks a lot asked me where I got it because she was impressed by the visibility from a distance.

I haven't entirely figured out what determines the lighting pattern the helmet uses for the rear LEDs when I turn it on. Some days it comes on with just a center group of lights on. Other days it has the side lights on and the center group is in flash/fade mode. I'd guess this has to do with what mode it thought it was in when I turned it off, but I never intentionally change the mode. I put the helmet on and walk out of the office with the lights off and then turn it on while I'm wearing it. It's always a mystery which lights will be on when I get home and take it off.

I don't really know what the battery life is like. I don't use the lights in the morning. I have them on for about an hour on my way home and then I plug it in overnight. The specs say I could go a couple of days without charging (and yes, I know that's theoretically better for the batter) but I haven't tested that. I prefer knowing I'll have juice for my whole ride home.
Thanks for this.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 01-07-19, 10:49 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Lithium ion batteries do not benefit from full drains. In fact, it's bad for them. So if you charge them regularly before they are discharged, it is either benign or beneficial for them. Do whatever is convenient for you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-21-19, 12:48 PM
Logged In

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only at the Diagon Alley location.
Is it next to Gringott's or across the street from the ruins of Olivander's?
Old 04-21-19, 01:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I think I've looked at the helmets off and on. I have a light on my Bell helmet that uses button batteries, but stopped using it since I drain the batteries too quickly.

I might go for the Lumos if it just had basic solid front, flashing rear lights, no signals, and good colors.

No smart phones, no turn signals, just simple lights.
Old 04-21-19, 02:54 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Lumos does make a helmet without turn signal lights.