Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to go fast on chip seal roads?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to go fast on chip seal roads?

Old 08-05-19, 05:16 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Highway 1 above Cambria was freshly chip sealed a few years ago. Seemed like 1" chip seal. I rode it when it was freshly done on my carbon Roubaix with 25mm Gatorskins. It rattled me and the bike so much, I thought my fillings would fall out. Few years later the same stretch of road was part of Eroica CA which I rode on my steel frame Legnano on 28mm Paselas. It was like night and day. I think it was mostly the wearing down of the road surface over time, but the bigger softer riding tires also contributed to a much more pleasant ride this time. I run around 100 psi in both tires, so I don't think the pressure made much difference. Funny thing, but the stretch directly in front of the Hearst Castle entrance is nice smooth, "real" pavement. No chip seal for the Castle.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 08-05-19 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 06:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
Wanna go faster = pedal faster was the right answer. Fatter and softer will never make you faster, period.

Wanna kill the buzz (without suspension) = double glove and don't put your full weight on the saddle.
Old 08-05-19, 06:27 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Some local chipseal isn't bad, it's pea sized rounded rocks with smaller bits mixed in. Other counties use grape sized gravel, and leave it loose on the surface until cars eventually kick the debris off the road. I'm sure the bigger size lasts more years.

After a year or so, the gravel wears down a little, it's "smoother". That good pea sized chipseal just looks like a normal paved road after a few more years.

I used my thin, flexible Compass 38mm on a ride with week old big chipseal. It's hugely more comfortable, and noticeably faster. At 170 pounds, I used 38 psi front and 45 psi rear. Just a small buzz through the handlebars with this setup.

Blue Ridge Parkway chipseal!

I guess we can no longer afford to keep this parkway smoothly paved.

Yuck, the BRP has been chipsealing recently. It could be worse, they use moderate sized gravel, sweep off the loose stuff, and apply a top sealer coat of tar. I kind of got used to it, it didn't seem "too" bad on my 28mm GP4000, but hitting an older, non-chipped section, the difference is striking.

Hopefully, it will wear a bit smoother over time.

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-05-19 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 06:38 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Wanna go faster = pedal faster was the right answer. Fatter and softer will never make you faster, period.

Wanna kill the buzz (without suspension) = double glove and don't put your full weight on the saddle.
My Compass 38mm tires are essentially as fast as my 25/28 GP4000S tires. They just weigh 400 grams instead of 210, and the tubes are bigger and heavier.

On the flats, they just float on rough roads, and the flexible sidewalls don't suck a lot of power like stiffer puncture proof tires do.

On slight downhills with smooth paved roads, I'm going just as fast coasting down as other riders on 25mm in the group, so the rolling resistance is comparable.

I still use mostly 28mm equivalents (actually 25mm on wide rims, measured width 28mm) on road rides, though. They are more responsive with steering, and lighter. About 70 psi front, 80-85 psi rear: fast and smooth.

~~~
speed

Yeah, shifting to a harder gear for a lower cadence helps lift a lot of weight off the saddle. I like it for reasonably short sections of very rough road. It's a huge help if I have to ride on those ground-down road surfaces before they repave -- my vision can get blurry from the vibrations!

I also like riding in the drops to spread the shock over my whole palm, and my arms are bent, instead of the straighter arm when riding on the hoods.

I wonder if going fast is helpful in general, the bike has less time to bounce up and down between bumps.

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-05-19 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 07:04 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I assume each city or states chip seal is different. What is yours like? The chip seal here in Madison, Wi, hardens smooth and flat fairly quickly, within a few days of application. One can ride fast with any tires.
Old 08-05-19, 07:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
To the OP -
Fatter tires at lower pressures will transmit less buzz. They will slow you down. How much slower = it depends.
Fatter tires at equal pressure to your 25mm = may be equally fast and may give some vibration relief
Fatter tires are (generally) heavier. Heavier requires a bit more effort to spin on inclines and flats (marginally)

How about a suspension saddle?
And double glove those hands.

Or, buy a road bike with minimal suspension features.
Or wait til next year, the chip seal is smoother.
Or just forgetaboutit.
Old 08-05-19, 08:14 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Ti bike.
Yes, the chip seal around here is tolerable on a long wheelbase recumbent ti bike on 32mm tires.
Old 08-29-19, 06:29 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I bought a new set of tires for my touring bike last year - I was switching from 700x30c to 700x35c, all tires were light-ish good quality tires with limited or no extra flat protection belts or layers. The older narrower ones were supposedly more 'supple' and were definitley more expensive.

Before I swapped them I did a series of timed coast-down tests on a hill with broken pavement by my house at different pressures. Then I put on the wider tires and repeated the tests at different pressures again.

Same bike, same wheels, same rider, multiple runs with each setup, and the wider tires at lower pressure were consistently the fastest.
They are a wee bit heavier so are a bit of a detriment to climbing, but on the whole I go faster with wider and softer titres.
Old 08-29-19, 08:47 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
The fastest tire on rough chip-seal is going to be a larger and at lower pressure than the optimum tire for smooth blacktop.

The optimum tire is always a balance of rolling resistance, weight, and aero drag. The the balance changes with different applications.

As a surface gets rougher, the tire with the best rolling resistance will get larger and be at a lower pressure.

Yes, there is more weight which affects acceleration.

Also more aero drag makes more difference as you go faster, though as the road gets rougher, speeds are going to be lower anyway, and it makes a little less difference.

BTW, the buzz and vibrations you feel are not just a comfort issue. It is slowing you down. It takes energy to vibrate and shake the bike. Thick grips and suspension seatposts address the comfort part, but not the the efficiency part. Lower pressure tires bend the tire casing (which also takes energy) rather than vibrate/shake the bike. Whether this is more efficient depends on the size of the tire and the casing construction.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-29-19, 08:51 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Yes, the chip seal around here is tolerable on a long wheelbase recumbent ti bike on 32mm tires.
32mm is probably the best all-around size, IMO.
27x1-1/4 ~= 700X32c.
Those Ten-speed designers of the '70s knew what they were doing.
Old 08-29-19, 01:15 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,027 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
they are covering all the roads near me with chip seal....i hate that crap ass pavement...anybody have any tips on how to ride faster and make chip seal riding less of a pain in the as....its a speed killing but numbing garbage pavement
The answer is to spend "ridiculous" money on a new bike. $5,000 should do it.

Too soon?
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-29-19, 01:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Damn! Came here solely to post something quite similar.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-29-19, 02:03 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat

Too soon?
Why ? I spent 1000 for a 5 grand bike .... with ceramic bearings and newly upgraded dura ace power train..... I made out like a bandit
Likes For robnol:
Old 08-29-19, 02:20 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,027 Times in 1,427 Posts
Why ? I spent 1000 for a 5 grand bike .... with ceramic bearings and newly upgraded dura ace power train..... I made out like a bandit
I'd say you spent $1000 on a 1 grand bike. And that's great!
Old 08-29-19, 02:45 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Agreed, chip n' seal is vastly preferable to potholes and broken pavement. Where I ride, at least, they use pretty small stones, so once it's packed down it's not that bad, though of course nothing beats new blacktop.

Falling on chip n' seal, unless its very old, is nasty though. Try to avoid it.
maaan, I actually like potholes and broken pavement. There's some wonderfully ruined roads near my apartment and riding them is like my own personal Carrefour de l'Arbre, in the same way as the closest climb is my own personal Ventoux. Can't ride them without having visions of Boonen and Musseuw in my mind.

I also vastly prefer short walls to long climbs and false flats, so maybe I'm just a Belgophile.

Chipseal is just boring and unexciting.
Old 08-29-19, 02:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
A 9 year old used bike that cost $5K back in 2010 is not a $5K bike anymore.
Old 08-29-19, 02:56 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
[QUOTE=Kapusta;21098668]A 9 year old used bike that cost $5K back in 2010 is not a $5K bike anymore.[/QUOT. I’ve seen comparable bikes on eBay for 3000. do ur own power train upgrades and u have a dam fine bike again... simple mechanical aptitude is required It’s not hard
Old 08-29-19, 03:02 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The good news is that next year, after there's been enough packing by cars, that surface is going to be great!
But the year after that it will be full of potholes again.
Old 08-29-19, 03:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Sometimes hitting the painted lines will feel slightly more comfortable, although it is hard to hold on them.

Depending on road, traffic, etc, hunt for what looks the best. Sometimes they miss chip sealing parts of the shoulders. Or, parts of the road will be worn down.

Tar bleed-through (avoiding it on HOT days, of course).
Old 08-29-19, 03:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
maaan, I actually like potholes and broken pavement. There's some wonderfully ruined roads near my apartment and riding them is like my own personal Carrefour de l'Arbre, in the same way as the closest climb is my own personal Ventoux. Can't ride them without having visions of Boonen and Musseuw in my mind.

I also vastly prefer short walls to long climbs and false flats, so maybe I'm just a Belgophile.

Chipseal is just boring and unexciting.
I really enjoyed reading this. It is very well written.

Please post more.

-Tim-
Old 08-30-19, 06:19 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Tar bleed-through (avoiding it on HOT days, of course).
Yep, this happened to me yesterday about 30 miles into my ride on a 90 degree day. I had just ridden past a side road that was chipsealed within the past week. All of a sudden it felt like I had a flat. Stopped and got off to check. Found the rear tire gunked up with tar and loose gravel. So lucky that the rear brake caliper was catching the gravel and knocking it off mostly. I was on my beautiful Paletti and if the gravel had tore up the paint on the seatpost I would have been pissed!

It's a shame that every year I have to adjust my routes and decide which bike to ride based on how badly they have jacked up the roads with crappy chipseal jobs. They usually take a bad surface and make it worse as they don't fill in existing holes and cracks. So each time they chipseal those get deeper, wider, worse.
Old 08-31-19, 06:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Choosing the right bike for local conditions would be a good start. Look for something that will allow 32s.