Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ross Mt Hood

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ross Mt Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 02:29 PM
Wmmayer1973

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ross Mt Hood

I picked up a early Ross mt hood any info on this.Also the crankset has some play in this.Where can I pick up a bearing kit for this.
Old 09-21-19, 03:29 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Ross' Mt. Hood was introduced in late 1983 for the 1984 model year and was was 4th in a 6 ATB lineup. It moved up one rung for 1985, when the Mt. McKinley was dropped. The components and tubing varied, depending on the exact year, so picture would be a big aid, as would be the serial number. Ignore the 10 post minimum for photos, as while they will not attach to this thread, they will be loaded into a gallery album where members can view them.

Crankset play does not necessarily mean a new bottom bracket is required. It may simply require adjustment. However, given that it is used bicycle, it is advisable to remove the crankset and bottom bracket for cleaning and inspection of the bearing races. If it does need a new bottom bracket, most members would probably select a maintenance free, sealed cartridge bottom bracket, which are available through most bicycle shops and mail order bicycle supply houses. There are lots of websites, books and videos that can walk you through the process, which is fairly generic for the cotterless, square taper, bottom brackets found on the early Mt.Hoods and most other bicycles of this era.
Old 09-21-19, 04:23 PM
Wmmayer1973

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Won’t let me post pics says I have to have 10 posts first