Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Apple Watch replace phone and bike computer for cyclists

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 05:56 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

Anyone try this with a cellular Apple Watch yet. Be nice to leave phone and not need bike gps.
Old 09-10-18, 07:55 AM
arizonamed

Bikes: CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used it for about a year before getting my Garmin. It works pretty well but it is not as accurate for HR or GPS as the Garmin is. The battery life can be an issue for longer rides over 9 hours or so. If you want to know your current speed you have to take your hand off your bars and look at your wrist which can be annoying also.
Old 09-10-18, 09:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by arizonamed
I used it for about a year before getting my Garmin. It works pretty well but it is not as accurate for HR or GPS as the Garmin is. The battery life can be an issue for longer rides over 9 hours or so. If you want to know your current speed you have to take your hand off your bars and look at your wrist which can be annoying also.
Lol.

So it works pretty well except for the core functions of monitoring HR and tracking GPS? Oh, and battery life is sometimes a concern and it's inconvenient to look at while riding, but other than that...

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
Old 09-10-18, 09:36 AM
arizonamed

Bikes: CAAD10

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Lol.

So it works pretty well except for the core functions of monitoring HR and tracking GPS? Oh, and battery life is sometimes a concern and it's inconvenient to look at while riding, but other than that...

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
haha yeah I mean I’m way happier with the functionality of my Garmin for bike rides but the Apple Watch was an ok device for me for a while. I still use it for runs and hikes and everyday use but now that I have a better product designed specifically for cycling I don’t use it for that.
Old 09-10-18, 11:12 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I use the apple watch (3) pretty regularly instead of the phone. Typically track w/ strava watch app, not always, sometimes the apple workout app. I'm just logging with it into overall apple health app. Does fine on GPS functions, sometimes gives a "false flat" for a while on HR, maybe 1 of 8 times. Since I'm not in any kind of training mode, it does fine for me. I also run a basic cyclo-computer on my handlebar, that's for "cockpit" info. Other platforms (eg Garmin or Lezyne) do provide a more extensive solution, but, "meh."
Old 09-10-18, 12:16 PM
zippifish

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have both the Apple 3 and Vivoactive HR, the Garmin is a lot more accurate.
Old 09-12-18, 10:47 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by arizonamed
Ok so 9 hours seems like long battery life to me. I don't ride for 9 hours, most I do is quick 20-35 mile rides. Might do a century once a year if I feel up to it. I'm surprised that the GPS is not as accurate. Iphones are very accurate so they were not able to do that for the watch is kind of lame. The series 4 will be out soon so supposedly it will have an improved GPS. I might get one.
Old 09-13-18, 10:22 AM
zoolzoo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It works really well man. Its also not annoying to take a quick look at your wrist...
Old 09-13-18, 11:13 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
lol yeah. As long as you just pulled it off the charger and don't plan on doing a long ride, it can replace a bike computer. But only for hipsters.
Old 09-13-18, 05:08 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I don't use it to replace a bike computer, but I do use it to leave my phone at home. I've always worn a watch, so it does mean one less thing to have with me. I also use it to listen to podcasts while riding which previously was a function also provided by my phone.

Series 4 looks interesting with it's fall notification capability.

J.
Old 09-13-18, 06:14 PM
maletero

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a series 3 to track my rides. I didn't spring for the cellular, so I still bring my phone. I also ride with a Lezyne micro-GPS. The distances agree within about 1%, most rides. I use the bike mounted computer for avg. speed and as a backup for distance data. The watch is my primary, mostly because of the HR. I know it's not as accurate as a chest strap, but on the other hand, I don't have to wear a chest strap.
Old 09-14-18, 07:25 AM
Bomb Komodo

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it is best used as a calories/heart rate monitor off the bike. I decided to get one but I won’t replace my Garmin with it. The Garmin right in the line of sight on the bars plus a heart rate band is really the best combo for riding,imo.

I do know some people who ride with just the watch for now, and it works for them, but it is not as accurate.

Short story is I think an Apple Watch is more of a compliment to a bike computer than a replacement.
Old 09-14-18, 12:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Not sure I see the point.. this watch costs about double what eg. a garmin 520+ costs. By itself, you can't easily call an ambulance with your watch, so you'll want your phone anyway; and I can't see that it does anything better than a dedicated garmin/wahoo unit does for cycling? If I do happen to crash, I'm more comfortable trashing my $20 casio than I would be one of these.
Old 09-14-18, 12:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80

Series 4 looks interesting with it's fall notification capability.

J.
Leaves on the ground are a dead giveaway that fall is here.
Old 09-23-18, 07:21 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I'll continue to use the Garmin 510 but when I get the watch, maybe I can eventually leave my phone behind. I think a chest strap is still the most reliable HR monitor on rides/runs anyway.
Old 09-23-18, 08:18 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Chandne
I'll continue to use the Garmin 510 but when I get the watch, maybe I can eventually leave my phone behind. I think a chest strap is still the most reliable HR monitor on rides/runs anyway.
You can pair a chest strap or other BT HRM to your Apple Watch and it will use that instead of the sensor built into the watch. That has some benefit since the watch doesn't have to drive the LEDs (or other HR sensor) with it's battery. So you get the accuracy, lower battery usage etc...

J.
Old 09-24-18, 06:34 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
I think a chest strap is still the most reliable HR monitor on rides/runs anyway.
Having used a Garmin FR35 with wrist-based HR for almost a year now, I can confidently say that if you plan to look at HR data at all, use a chest strap. The wrist-based sensor has so many issues that its data is all but worthless.
Old 09-24-18, 10:12 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by joejack951
Having used a Garmin FR35 with wrist-based HR for almost a year now, I can confidently say that if you plan to look at HR data at all, use a chest strap. The wrist-based sensor has so many issues that its data is all but worthless.
Agree.

But I *hate* chest straps. Maybe it's some version of claustrophobia or something.

Anyhow, the Scosche Rythm+ and the new Wahoo Tickr that mount either near the elbow on the lower arm or around the bicep on the upper arm positioned over the brachial artery have worked very well for me. I think that is a good alternative to a chest strap and is accurate.

J.
Old 09-26-18, 05:48 AM
simot

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently using garmin vivoactive HR with garmin HR strap and cadence sensor, works fine and I get to wear the watch all the time.
Old 09-26-18, 05:58 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Anyone experiment with the series 4 watch yet? Supposedly better gps and accelerometer and longer battery life.
Old 09-26-18, 10:23 AM
Bomb Komodo

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Anyone experiment with the series 4 watch yet? Supposedly better gps and accelerometer and longer battery life.
Yes I ride with mine, and it’s amazing for day to day. I use it for streaming music though on the ride. One AirPod in the ear and life is good. Battery doesn’t get chewed up much at all. It does if you use music streaming AND GPS together. That will usually knock it down faster.

My watch face for riding has easy access to phone and walkie talkie and Apple Music. I also have the time on it and the wind speed and direction.

This helps me clear some clutter on my bike computer face. I still would strongly recommend using a bike computer to track rides and monitor things like heart rate, watts, distance and MPH. After the ride, the Garmin shoots everything to strava and then everything gets put into the watch so the calories and exercise goals are updated.