Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fixing up an old Peugeot P10

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 02:39 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts

A friend of mine in France has this old Peugeot (sorry the photo is a little blurry, damn phone), and it was quite beat up. But he just upgraded a lot of stuff on his weekend bike so there was a lot of stuff that could be handed down to this one to make it a decent winter bike / "change of pace" rider. He just handed this to me to do a bit of a clean-up and throw on whatever old parts will work, while I'm over on holidays.

I don't know much about old(er) Peugeot. I'm more into Bianchi and Colnago and anything Italian. But so far, so good, I'm really curious to get this one out on the road for a quick spin.

So far I've flipped the saddle mount around to be correct, made it go into all the gears, greased the 24mm seat tube, and cleaned off about 2kgs of crud - most of that in the rear cassette. (Why don't people make any attempt whatsoever to keep their bikes clean? They'd work so much better if they did.)

It's nicked and scratched to hell and back, but no dents and no rust. I only wish the decals were a little better, though they're not the worst . For "patina" I'd give it a 6/10, since the decals aren't very good and where there is paint it's not great. Maybe a lot of polish, rubbing down, and/or a total tear-down-and-clean (which I am not going to do, after all it's not mine) would improve things slightly.

Friction DT shifters with a modern Shimano rear wheel 9-speed, 12-25 cassette; 52/42 up front, looks like Sachs stuff for the FD and shifters. I couldn't find much for markings on the cranks. Weinmann brake levers, they'll work just fine. The matching front wheel's bearings are a bit rough, but there was a Mavic front wheel laying around that's much nicer.

The brake calipers are not the best, Weinmann "Type500" I think, and they look quite flexy, though will do the job (however poorly). I can see a Tektro dual-pivot upgrade happening.

My bike-building OCD has dropped another level, with mismatched wheels and tyres (Schwalbe in back, Michelin in front). At least they're both 25mm and hold air.

Since the photo, I've swapped the levers around (so the left hand works the front brake), I'm not surprised as the owner is British - but I discussed this with him and he's OK with swapping it over, as this bike is French I totally forgot to ask if his bike is set up this way, though I think it probably is (we're in France here).

The serial number is Y803 05367. Does that make it March 1988?

It's a "Carbolite" frame, originally a 12-speed, 58cm c-c seat tube.

Any suggestions on bar tape colours is welcome! Also, any insights and info about the 80s Peugeot P10 would be fantastic.

Old 09-21-19, 03:25 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 3,341 Times in 2,180 Posts
-----

Date confirmation -

the cycle's shift levers and front mech look to be Sachs Huret

the front mech should be marked with a four digit numeral which gives the date

the first two digits represent the week of the year and the second two the year

the machine's Weinmann brake calipers should have a clock face type date marking on their backsides -

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 09-22-19, 01:58 PM
cannonride15

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Try these folks for decals: globalcycledecals, very economical and good selection of Peugeot models. Got a full set for my PH10LS for $12.00. They are in U.K.
Crank appears to be spiderless Solida, as on my 1985 PUG.

Last edited by cannonride15; 09-22-19 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Crank update
Likes For cannonride15:
Old 09-22-19, 02:29 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 3,341 Times in 2,180 Posts
-----

Trim colours -

transfers have yellow-orange-red bands

you might wish to consider something in this range for handlebar wrap and cable casing

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 09-22-19, 02:34 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
+1 on using red orange or yellow for bar tape to play off the decals
Likes For ryansu:
Old 09-23-19, 01:57 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Trim colours -

transfers have yellow-orange-red bands

you might wish to consider something in this range for handlebar wrap and cable casing

-----
Originally Posted by ryansu
+1 on using red orange or yellow for bar tape to play off the decals
100% agree. It had orange tape at some time in its history, I found a small piece left in the brake lever bar clamp when I removed the black tape. Orange would be nice, but I may have to settle for yellow or even white, I don't know what sort of selection the local shop will have, and I don't have time to order anything online.

@juvela thanks so much for that Weinmann brake caliper & FD date code info!

If the day goes well I may be able to get this up and running for a late evening or early morning test ride, and will try to get better photos.
Old 09-24-19, 05:18 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Date code on the FD reveals "4887" = 48th week of 1987, confirming the frame's serial number indicating March '88 makes sense.

I just threw on some white cheap bar tape from Decathlon, and I can honestly say this is the worst bar tape I've ever seen. Avoid at all costs. It's already split on one side for no good reason whatsoever; I can tell it's going to be destroyed in seconds, though at least it may match the "patina" (and general dirtiness) of the rest of the bike!

But it does ride well. The small 42t front ring will make climbing a challenge, and the Weinmann brake calipers will make descending a slow, measured process. Now it's a functional rider for the owner to just hop on and go.

Again, it's not mine, so I'm setting my OCD-ness aside for a while. Same old housings & cables, mismatched wheels & tyres, bent (just slightly) bars.

This was a nice intro for me to 80s Peugeots. They seem to be quite inexpensive in my area, yet are very nice going down the road. If I needed a low-maintenance commuter hack to chain to a signpost in the city centre, this wouldn't be a bad option at all.