Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone use a Nexus hubgear?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 12:13 PM
Gotte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at buying a hub to build into a wheel. I have a fondness for hub gears, have two bikes with Sturmey Archers.
How do you find your Nexus? Is the gearing low enough for steeper hills?

Also, what's teh gearshifter like? Is it a grip shift?

I'll need to get one but can;t seem to find any advertised. Anyone know where I might get one, the shifter, that is?
Old 03-18-07, 09:52 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Bump.

Can anyone help Gotte?

East Hill
Old 03-18-07, 10:46 AM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nexus internal gear hubs come standard on most Breezer bikes. I have the 7-speed and have been found it reliable and adequate to get up hills -- usually in second gear, so there's still a lower gear in reserve for the gnarliest climbs. And if you find that you have trouble climbing you can always switch in a bigger cog. The main drawback I've noticed is that when you have to disconnect the cable to take off the rear wheel it's more difficult to reconnect than my oh-so-easy Sturmey 3-speed. Maybe this is just a matter of practice though.

Yes, it's a grip shifter. I find it really convenient for in-town riding. Since it's a Shimano part it should not be hard to order. Try Harris Cyclery?

Have seen a number of comments that the Nexus 8-speed hub, especialy the premium red stripe model, is far superior to the 7. Sheldon Brown has something on this I think. Can't speak about it from personal experience, but it sounds like the 8-speed may be the way to go if cost is not an issue.
Old 03-18-07, 11:51 AM
Gotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that. I'll check it out.
I could get a used 7 speed for about £30, which is pretty cheap, but I imagine I'd be spending maybe another £30 on changer, cabling etc. I'm tempted by the 8 speed, and I did hear a rumour that there's a 9 speed coming out (but I can;t for the life of me remember where I heard it).
Old 03-18-07, 11:59 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I don't have one but have read a bit about them. Apparently the 8 speed (redline) version is quite a bit better than the 7 speed.
Old 03-18-07, 02:21 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
IMO, the premium (red line) Nexus 8 is a nicer ride than the 7 or standard 8. I bought a bike with one and I love it. I believe the new 9 speed is a SRAM. Gotte, there are a lot of internal gear discussion threads on General, Commuting, and Bicyce Mechanics, with a lot of really good observations and advice than can be repeated in this thread. Have you done a search? I'd use such terms as Nexus, Rohloff, Sturmey Archer, "internal hub gearing", "planetary gearing", etc. There is a lot of collective knowledge here on this somewhat obscure subject, including how to add one to a bike frame that wasn't specifically constructed for internal gearing.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 03-18-07, 02:47 PM
unkchunk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you live in the US, your local bike shop isn't likely to have a Nexus 8 hub or parts in stock. But they can order it through the QBP (Quality Bike Products, a distributor for independent bike shops) catalog. Probably your best mail order option will be Harris Cyclery.

https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html

That page also covers some other things you will need to consider if you are converting an existing bike to a Nexus 8.

The gear range is comparable to that of an old 10 speed. You can tweak the range up or down by using a defferent sized cog in the rear. So you could have a low gearing for really steep hills, but would spin out on the down hill. Finding your optimum combination can be a little tricky.