Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Interesting observation about lots of cyclists.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Interesting observation about lots of cyclists.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 09:00 AM
letitsnow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Through my years of racing in motorsports, I have learned not to advertise for free. I wish more people felt the same - it might help the actual racers get more sponsorship help.
Old 05-12-12, 09:01 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Different strokes for different folks.

Some folks are offended by commoners kitted up to look like the Elite.

I'm not one of them. I own a vintage Barlowworld jersey I wear with pride. I always think about the time one of their riders cooked a turn in the Pyrinees during the TdF. He hopped off his bike and saved himself, but his bike plummeted into the abyss and was never seen again.

It was totally cool.

I do tend to judge people who don't take care of their bikes. On long rides, when I hear a chain rattle for hours I harbor Dark Thoughts about the rider. The Thoughts get Darker if said bike breaks down and the rider hasn't a clue what to do about it.

But it's best to give all the benefit of the doubt because......it's all good.

Old 05-12-12, 09:09 AM
MattFoley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's pretty amazing how many people in DC commute in full kit...I judge a little, but then I think they may actually be on a team and use their commute to train or whatever, or maybe they just like their kit. Nothing wrong with that, I guess. And I alway think that it's better that they look goofy on a bike, than all road-ragey in a car.

I do think you raise a good point about people with low tires and squeaky chains and such...it's like people assume bikes are grab and go and one size fits all. So they go out and ride with low tires and a poorly adjusted seat and it's uncomfortable, so they just ending up throwing the bike back in the garage thinking that biking is a PITA...sad, really.
Old 05-12-12, 09:29 AM
ChowChow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've notice a lot of people place their saddle too high. Either their legs are fully straight when it comes down or they have to extend their toes down to reach the pedals when it is at the bottom.
Old 05-12-12, 09:33 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MattFoley
I do think you raise a good point about people with low tires and squeaky chains and such...it's like people assume bikes are grab and go and one size fits all. So they go out and ride with low tires and a poorly adjusted seat and it's uncomfortable, so they just ending up throwing the bike back in the garage thinking that biking is a PITA...sad, really.
That's exactly how I view them, too. Not much disdain for the individual, but frustration with the situation that they've allowed themselves to get into. I want to offer them a lube and overall bike adjustment with the gear I've got at home. I wish I could say, "You know, your bike doesn't have to squeak and rattle so badly. Gimme ten minutes with it."

On the other hand, maybe they'll enjoy riding around enough so that they'll want to fix up their bike or buy a nicer one, which would be good for the local shops. I'd feel so guilty if I had a customer come in wanting to buy a whole new bike even though their current ride just needs a cleaning and some air, though.
Old 05-12-12, 09:48 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by MattFoley
It's pretty amazing how many people in DC commute in full kit....
My team jersey, from when I raced (not pro, of course) is one of my more comfortable jerseys. When I commuted by bicycle, I wore it quite a few times for that reason.
Old 05-12-12, 10:06 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by letitsnow
Through my years of racing in motorsports, I have learned not to advertise for free..........
Unless a jersey is free, no advertising. To pay to advertise some corporation's product is not in the Merkel universe. It's a free country last time I looked. To each his own.

Bars too high, seat too low, tires half inflated. That's the common recreational cyclist around here. No wonder the folks don't ride much. My buddy brought his road bike to me for a tune up. Tweaked the brakes so they didn't rub, lubed the chain, aired up the tires to 100 psi. He thought I was a miracle worker.

Here's a picture of Sheldon Brown's dual handlebar bike. God bless him, he was not afraid to experiment.

Old 05-12-12, 10:12 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ben4345
I have a bicycle route in front of my house, and I love people watching. As I see a lot of cyclists pass by my house. Some interesting observations, that some people are completely oblivious to some things like... I see people with obviously low tire pressure, wearing their helmets wrong, lots of squeaky drive chains, poor riding habits. I also notice a lot less women ride by themselves, let alone a lot less women. Cyclists that are decked out with bill board bicycle shorts, jerseys, with all the fancy gear with their $1000+ road bikes only come out when it's nice out. (My girlfriend calls these cyclists pantywads )

Just thought I'd share...
The big problem we forget is most of us observe other people through the lenses of our own perspective and that isn't often very objective. Poor equipment or condition of equipment is common with cars, motorcycles, and even hand tools. Some people just don't care or know how to care for their equipment. That part of the observation could be somewhat objective. What people wear and how much they spend on their equipment is not objective. Unless you ride a few centuries with those fancy road bikes or do some long distance races like the Furnace Creek 508 you can hardly call them pantywads, (and the term on this coast should be pantywaists). As far as wearing bill board shorts and jerseys it can be a fashon statement but then I am sure your GF would remove the Coach label off of any gift she got? Tennis and running shoes are distinctive like Nike and Asics even Converse can be spotted a long way off. So assuming anything about a person by what they wear doesn't really give anyone any information about the person.

When I see someone on a "Fancy road bike and in bill board jersey" my first impression is they may value their equipment more than the average cyclists. Doesn't mean they are better riders but it tells me something about their passion for the activity.

Think about it, when someone on a fancy road bike in a billboard jersey sees you sitting in front of your house on a nice day and not riding what do they think of you? My thought might be, what, is their remote control broken and they can't watch their game shows? Not a fair observation I assume?
Old 05-12-12, 10:18 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I feel your pain... I happen to live right on a major cycling route and get to witness a lot of "interesting" cycling behavior.. the ratio of full team kits to riders... is extremely high.. even sometimes see them on guys who can't hold a straight line. My main beef is this though, I get it about wind shear and making sounds harder to hear when we ride and want to talk... but when it's saturday morning and I'm raking or doing other yard work, I do not want to hear about your bowel movements etc. If anything I prefer the tourists who come out my way, they seem to actually watch for the cars, wear hi vis and ride sanely... I have also been stuck at my stop sign on my bike with right of way before, waiting for a gaggle of a club ride to finish blowing the stop sign.. my mistake having made eye contact with the lead and assuming he would have stopped for another cyclists right of way...
Old 05-12-12, 10:18 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I hate it when other people do things differently than I do.
Old 05-12-12, 10:36 AM
stevebiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclists that are decked out with bill board bicycle shorts, jerseys, with all the fancy gear with their $1000+ road bikes only come out when it's nice out. (My girlfriend calls these cyclists pantywads )
Unlike the pantywads, I love to ride in the rain. My local bike path is through the woods, part of the Rails to Trails system, and it's really cool to ride in the woods in the rain. Also, I usually have the bike path to myself then. I don't mind getting wet at all, though if it's winter and cold rain I'll wear an upside down jumbo garbage bag with holes punched out for my head and arms.

I also love the reactions of motorists at the few road crossings -- there I am on my bike in the rain, it's in the 40s and I'm wearing a garbage bag and bumpkin floppy hat.

As to fashion, who needs it? I see my share of "marathon" types on 15 lb. carbon fiber bikes all decked out in spandex, and I think, what's their problem. I wear ordinary street shorts and a pullover shirt. What does spandex really do for you unless you're a professional racer trying to shave 1/1000 mph of wind resistance? Those tight spandex shorts on men also, quite frankly, make them look almost gay. Now on women, that's another matter.
Old 05-12-12, 11:06 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by stevebiker

As to fashion, who needs it? I see my share of "marathon" types on 15 lb. carbon fiber bikes all decked out in spandex, and I think, what's their problem. I wear ordinary street shorts and a pullover shirt. What does spandex really do for you unless you're a professional racer trying to shave 1/1000 mph of wind resistance? Those tight spandex shorts on men also, quite frankly, make them look almost gay. Now on women, that's another matter.
I like spandex.

Old 05-12-12, 11:33 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I like Lycra pantywad shorts (saves my wad) and while I do not own a full matching pro kit I have no problems with them that does.

I am however decked out in full gear and am vain enough to buy one piece carbon bars just because it matched the paint job on my bike.

My machine is far more advanced than the rider.

I ran into a pro a couple weeks back ( he stopped to help me with a flat) He was not in a pro kit. His kit was plain but matched his bike

I would think it would be fun to watch the circus go by and make all kinds of assumptions whether true or not like the OP.

And I never heard pantywads before but I am going to run with it
Old 05-12-12, 01:52 PM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LMFAO, this thread is hilarious!

I didn't mean to offend anyone here, but just to share some interesting observations about cyclists that commute in my area.
Old 05-12-12, 02:05 PM
Koobazaur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only professional athletes should be allowed to bike. In fact, you should be required to complete a written and practical examination and obtain a license in order to own a bicycle.
Old 05-12-12, 02:16 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

How does it feel to be both ignorant and bigoted?

No, forget that. Obviously, to be able to answer that question would require some insight into one's own condition. My mistake.
Old 05-12-12, 03:00 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I'm not kitted out. Just a pair of lightweight cargo shorts and a cotton white tshirt. I even have toe straps. But dont judge me as being slow or not doing long rides lest you be surprised.
Old 05-12-12, 04:16 PM
scaryseth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bicycle route in front of my house, and I love people watching. As I see a lot of cyclists pass by my house. Some interesting observations, that some people are completely oblivious to some things like... I see people with obviously low tire pressure, wearing their helmets wrong, lots of squeaky drive chains, poor riding habits. I also notice a lot less women ride by themselves, let alone a lot less women. Cyclists that are decked out with bill board bicycle shorts, jerseys, with all the fancy gear with their $1000+ road bikes only come out when it's nice out. (My girlfriend calls these cyclists pantywads )
What route are you in front of? I too like watching the other bikes pass by, the gear and people as I am out riding. Heck, do this even when not out riding. We are not the only ones either, check out the last 2 bikeportland.org ,'People On Bike' photo sessions. Nice samplings of ~30 riders each.

https://bikeportland.org/2012/05/01/p...ont-park-71086
https://bikeportland.org/2012/04/11/p...k-avenue-70200
Old 05-12-12, 04:59 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
First impressions are often wrong.

Hopefully my first impression of you is wrong.
Actually, to me, these are not "impressions". Rather they are observations. Why make a judgment about someone for stating what they observed?
Old 05-12-12, 05:18 PM
scaryseth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
Actually, to me, these are not "impressions". Rather they are observations. Why make a judgment about someone for stating what they observed?
Agree. As I stated above, I watch or observe other cyclists as well. I do not however judge.
Old 05-12-12, 06:38 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

What does spandex really do for you
Comfort.

Try it, you might discover you like it.
Old 05-12-12, 07:17 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
LMFAO, this thread is hilarious!
I can agree with that, at least.
Old 05-12-12, 08:19 PM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Living in a country where bicycles are still viewed by most as transportation for students and the poor, and a disposable transportation at that, I see all kinds of things. LOTS of low tire pressure, rusty chains, rusty spokes and wheels, and almost everyone has their seat too low. Reflectors and lights (required by law) hanging askew and often non functioning, and CDs tied on as reflectors. Hard shell motorcycle skull cap helmets.
Now when you get to folks who view cycling as a serious recreational sport, they go whole hog, almost. If you're serious you MUST have a US$1000+ bike, helmet, dew rag, sun glasses, club jersey, gloves, arm coolers, shorts or more commonly tights, pro team socks, and running shoes. Yes, running shoes. You also MUST go out on the weekends with your club or friends, fully kitted up of course with the addition of a backpack, and ride for 2 or 3 hours at 15-20 kph.
You also must have your seat at a level that allows you to safely put at least one foot flat on the ground. Any good bike shop owner will tell you so. I'm often told my seat is way too high.
Disclaimer: these are OBSERVATIONS. I leave the judging up to someone else.
Old 05-12-12, 08:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by kjmillig
You also must have your seat at a level that allows you to safely put at least one foot flat on the ground. Any good bike shop owner will tell you so. I'm often told my seat is way too high.
Who tells you that??
Old 05-12-12, 08:44 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by kjmillig
You also MUST go out on the weekends with your club or friends, fully kitted up of course with the addition of a backpack, and ride for 2 or 3 hours at 15-20 kph.
I dont know what's funnier, the 15-20 kph pace or the seat height

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.