Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek 7.x FX for long rides?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek 7.x FX for long rides?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-12, 10:04 AM
GaryPitts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rarely, rarely use the bar ends and when I do I always use a light touch as I don't think they'd take much pressure without twisting. You'd be prefectly happy without them.
Old 05-13-12, 09:39 PM
scaryseth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scaryseth
I have the new bar, Bontrager Race Flat 31.8, that are 40 mm longer than the stock bar I am replacing.
The grips I chose are Ergon GS3.
Freshly installed this weekend, new bar and grip/bar end combo. Will see how it is on the ride tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trek73cockpit.jpg (105.1 KB, 263 views)
Old 05-20-12, 04:32 PM
mac61

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a smaller guy 5'6" and i have a 7.3fx in 17.5 size and it fits me just fine. I see your looking at the 7.1 - you might think about the 7.3 for the different grips and gloves help alot.

Last edited by mac61; 05-20-12 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-11-12, 12:57 PM
big_al

Bikes: Trek 7.7 and Trek superfly Al Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a trek 7.7 and have ridden as much as 26 miles at one time which for me is stelar I am perfectly comfortable on it and the bike feels great.
Old 06-11-12, 01:14 PM
Spiff_P239

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm waiting for my LBS to call and tell me that the 7.6 FX I ordered last week has come in and is ready to be picked up. I'm looking to do some longer rides this summer and figure that the 7.6 would be better suited for that task than my 4300 MTB.
Old 06-11-12, 04:21 PM
Redrockspooh

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5 Alloy, Trek 7.3 fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I biked on the GAP and C&O from Pittsburgh to Washington DC last week (over the course of 5 days) on a Trek 7.3. I did switch out the handle bars in order to put on Ergon GC2 grips, but everything else on the bike is stock. My hands did get a little numb towards the end of a days ride, but other than that no issues. My body was a little sore at the end but this was my first try at multi-day touring so I attribute that to lack of conditioning rather than bike issues.
Old 06-11-12, 04:56 PM
luxo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Redrockspooh, that's impressive. Great informative first post!

Last edited by luxo; 06-11-12 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 08:10 PM
rickyhmltn
King of Typos

Bikes: Trek 7.1 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 20"/51cm 7.1 FX. I'm 240 and 6' and it gets uncomfortable for me around 20-30 miles depending on the hills I've been up and down.
Old 09-20-13, 08:28 PM
Gabenrique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there any difference in weight between the 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4? Thanks
Old 09-20-13, 10:27 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
so first off, welcome to BF.

This thread is pretty old, you have resurrected a zombie.

I went to the trek page and compared a 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4 all fx's

the only difference between the 7.2 and 7.3 other than price is the fork. the frame, wheels, and components are the same. the 7.2 uses a steel fork which will definitely be heavier than the aluminum one on the 7.3 but will probably provide a slightly nicer ride, not so jarring.

the 7.4, at $250 more than the 7.2 uses a carbon fork and has some nicer components. This will be the lightest of the 3. the carbon fork will also provide the nicest feel. is %50 extra money worth it? probably not. will you notice a huge weight difference between the 2 and 4? not really.

if you are planning on riding on pavement only I would buy a proper road bike w/skinnier tires and better gearing.

if you need a road/offroad bike all of them will be heavy comparably.

if I were to spend approx $800 i would look at the cannondale quick $740
https://www.cannondale.com/catalog/pr.../category/953/

or bikes direct
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...afe_sprint.htm
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../cafe_noir.htm

road bikes from BD
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntnoir_xii.htm
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...omp20_gold.htm
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...quila_xiii.htm
Old 09-21-13, 06:24 PM
WildCarder

Bikes: 2013 Trek FX7.4 & Verve 3 (both 22.5")

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I'm going to pile on the FX questions. I have the 2013 7.4 and have been enjoying it for 20m wake ups just fine. Bust as the breezes build I feel like a giant sail (6'3" 222) slowing myself down. So as I see it, I have two options: swap out and get a CrossRip (wanted that and have had remorse for months) or swap the flat bar for CrossRip bar on the 7.4 FX. IF we assume selling the FX and buying CrossRip = outfitting FX with the CrossRip handle bars (brakes, shifters, etc): what would you do?
Old 09-21-13, 07:00 PM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
the only difference between the 7.2 and 7.3 other than price is the fork. the frame, wheels, and components are the same.
Sorry to butt in, but that is incorrect. The 7.3 not only has a lighter alloy fork vs. the high tensile steel fork on the 7.2, but it also has an upgraded crank and drivetrain (9spd Acera/Alivio vs. 8spd Altus/Alivio, plus slightly wider gear range on the front rings), upgraded wheels (lighter and stronger Nebula rims vs. AT-750), upgraded tires (All-Weather Hardcase 700x32 vs. H2 Hardcase Lite 700x35), IsoZone handlebar with ergonomic grips, and a lighter/narrower saddle (H1 vs. SSR).

The 7.4, then, has the carbon fork and a Deore rear derailleur. There is definitely a bigger difference between the 7.2 and 7.3 compared to that between the 7.3 and 7.4. If the carbon fork isn't a factor, then a 7.3 would suit just fine. Frankly, I personally wouldn't go less than a 7.3 if I were looking to get an FX.

Originally Posted by WildCarder
Ok, I'm going to pile on the FX questions. I have the 2013 7.4 and have been enjoying it for 20m wake ups just fine. Bust as the breezes build I feel like a giant sail (6'3" 222) slowing myself down. So as I see it, I have two options: swap out and get a CrossRip (wanted that and have had remorse for months) or swap the flat bar for CrossRip bar on the 7.4 FX. IF we assume selling the FX and buying CrossRip = outfitting FX with the CrossRip handle bars (brakes, shifters, etc): what would you do?
The CrossRips will have a different geometry than the FX, albeit still rather similar. Having drop bars would allow you to be a bit more aerodynamic. Depending on the componentry that you would need, though (not only handlebar and shifters/levers, but possibly derailleurs as well...plus, they have different gearing), it could potentially turn out to be more affordable and much easier to just trade in your 7.4 for a new CrossRip. Being a 2013 model, it could command a better offer for trade-in value at your LBS as long as it's in good condition; and meanwhile, there are more choices in the CrossRip family for 2014 than there were before (as seen here). The CrossRips are pricier than the FXs in general, so it's hard to say for sure how that would compare to the cost of switching out the stuff on your 7.4. In any case, it's up to you as far as your bike preference, your budget, and how much work you want to put into it. I'd recommend seeking out a CrossRip to test ride, if possible.
Old 09-21-13, 07:22 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks for butting in lanovran, how'd I miss all that.

thats what you get from 2 minutes worth of research, Guess I should have spent 5.
Old 09-22-13, 07:22 AM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WildCarder
I also have 7.4 and ride it a lot. Like you when rding again the wind I feel like a giant sail but, it refuse to not ride when it is windy (I live in Kansas) and I think I have gained significant leg strength over the summer. So, my solution is n + 1, I will pickup my new road bike on Tuesday.

I plan on riding my 7.4 on gravel, MUPs and shorter rides during the week.
Old 09-22-13, 03:56 PM
WildCarder

Bikes: 2013 Trek FX7.4 & Verve 3 (both 22.5")

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys rock. I think I'm going to eat the cost of the FX and just get the CrossRip. Leaves me with an odd trifecta of Trek. I've got the Verve3 which I'm going to make into my supermarket/errand bike. Not sure if FX and CrossRip have enough differentiation. Last Q: can I put front shocks on an FX to make it more trail friendly?