Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What Pump do you carry?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What Pump do you carry?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 04:35 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007
Except for touring I don't carry any pump. No need
A good tire and Mr Tuffy everywhere is enough

Before I meet Mr Tuffy I got a flat but i was able to ride 5 miles up to my home before the tire is totally flat. So I've realised that I don't need to carry any pump nor any repair kit for commuting.
In last resort I could still take the bus with my bike. Why bother with a pump then.
Good luck with that. Someday after walking home you're going to wish you had a pump. By the way, I've had flats with Mr Tuffy's installed in a kevlar belted tire, a Goathead thorn penetrated both, not once but many times in fact. If a goathead can penetrate both I have feeling so can other things, what do you think? Oh well, you don't need a pump, you can take out your cell phone and call your mommy, I'm sure she'll come to rescue her little boy.
Old 10-26-12, 05:12 PM
erig007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I already got a flat before I put Mr Tuffy and i was able to ride 5 miles up to my home before the tire is totally flat.
Even tho I would have a flat it's not the end of the world there are many ways to solve a problem not just one.
One way is to take the bus as some of them accept bicycles if not then putting some clothes inside the tire work too. Walking is an option too.
And regarding my hypothetical mommy don't try to make assumptions regarding the family of someone else. You don't know me and i don't know you. No need to go into this kind of arguing.

Last edited by erig007; 10-26-12 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-26-12, 05:14 PM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
https://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/RoadMorphG

Awesome. Love it. I can pump to what I need at 120 very easily and fast. 99% of the time I do not use my co2. I just use this.
Same here. I've had it about a year, and have used it several times. I can't seem to get it to go over 115psi - but I'm OK with that.
Old 10-26-12, 06:33 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Mini-Morph carried in pannier on my commuter 'bent.
Road Morph G on the frame of my other single 'bent.
Mountain Morph on the frame of our tandem 'bent.
Lucky enough not to have used them because my only flats in recent years have happened in the garage. (sound of rapping on head)
Old 10-26-12, 09:22 PM
maidenfan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chefisaac
https://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/RoadMorphG

Awesome. Love it. I can pump to what I need at 120 very easily and fast. 99% of the time I do not use my co2. I just use this.
Me too. Takes a while w/the big volume mtb tires though. Great pump though.
Old 10-26-12, 11:58 PM
maximushq2

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Comp, Gt Timberline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a Topeak Turbo Morph forever which does the job. The pressure gauge isn't working though, but it's not a big deal to me anyway. I just picked up a smaller pump (Topeak Pocket Rocket Master Blaster) to mount on a different bike that arrived just yesterday. I like how small and light weight it is and I tested it out on a tire and although not the fastest, it pumped it up just fine. I have a CO2 pump that I'm not using b/c I feel more confident having an actual pump along me.

I had a flat the other day for the first time this year. The next day after a long ride I found a piece of glass in the tire. I found out those stick on skab patches I had only held air for about two days in the tire I patched. At least it would get me home so they aren't totally worthless. I ordered up a different patch kit on amazon that day that seem to have good reviews. It's made by Rema and has an actual tube of glue, sandpaper, and some rubbery patches. Hope they hold up better than the skab stick on patches.

Last edited by maximushq2; 10-27-12 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-27-12, 12:05 AM
scaryseth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ehsiung
A couple of things that I do: 1) take apart the head once a year and lube the rubber bits, and 2) cover the nozzle opening with a square of duct tape to keep out moisture and road grit.
Great idea about the tape over the nozzle. I will be doing that this weekend to mine.
Old 10-27-12, 12:30 AM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
12 gauge Mosberg.
Old 10-27-12, 12:54 AM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclefreaksix
Road Morph G. 'Nough said.
I got one because of the BF reviews and number of recommendations, not because of experience. It worked at home.......should work fine on the road.
Old 10-27-12, 01:28 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I already got a flat before I put Mr Tuffy and i was able to ride 5 miles up to my home before the tire is totally flat.
Even tho I would have a flat it's not the end of the world there are many ways to solve a problem not just one.
One way is to take the bus as some of them accept bicycles if not then putting some clothes inside the tire work too. Walking is an option too.
Riding on a flat is like trying to ride with slicks in mud... no fun at all. If I get stranded 100km from home and yes I have no other way of getting back bar what I have with me - then I don't want to spend 14 hours getting back! A spare tube, repair kit, and pump don't weight much or take much space. Also riding on rims for any extended period of time is going to to bad things to them. Still, it your bike and your money so have fun with that option.
Old 10-27-12, 05:05 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You just read what you want to read there are other sentences in my text. And here it's the commuting section. If your commute is 100km, i say wow respect! For touring for sure i would bring the necessary kit but i won't bring a kit 364 days per year for commuting just for having possibly a flat once a year which is not by the way since i haven't had a flat since i put a mr tuffy liner which is nearly 2 years from now. So for close to 730 days i didn't have that extra weight to carry and have had extra room available

Originally Posted by krobinson103
Also riding on rims for any extended period of time is going to to bad things to them. Still, it your bike and your money so have fun with that option.
It already happened to me if you read my previous post and my rims are just fine

Last edited by erig007; 10-27-12 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-27-12, 05:51 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
You just read what you want to read there are other sentences in my text. And here it's the commuting section. If your commute is 100km, i say wow respect! For touring for sure i would bring the necessary kit but i won't bring a kit 364 days per year for commuting just for having possibly a flat once a year which is not by the way since i haven't had a flat since i put a mr tuffy liner which is nearly 2 years from now. So for close to 730 days i didn't have that extra weight to carry and have had extra room available . . . It already happened to me if you read my previous post and my rims are just fine
A couple of yen for a set of patches and glue, a couple more pesos for a spare tube, fifteen bucks for a frame pump. Then when Mother Nature bites one of your tires, about 5 minutes of relaxing "work" means you can continue your ride. I don't understand the logic behind not being prepared for mechanical failure on the road, and then recommending it to others. I haven't had a flat since 2006 but I'm at least prepared. Rims aren't cheap if you ride them nekkid! Take our advice - get a patch kit, tube and pump . . . it's "Bike 101".
Old 10-27-12, 06:36 AM
ephin

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak mini morph. Easy to use (the foot peg, horizontal handle, and flexible hose nozzle allows it to work like a floor pump). Small enough to fit in a jersey pocket. My roadside repair kit contains a spare tube in its own ziplock Baggie; a park mt1 multitool, 2 tire levers, $10, and a glueless patch kit in another Baggie. I wrap the baggies around the pump and hold it all together with a rubber band. Easily fits in a jersey pocket with plenty of space left for phone, nutrition, doffed arm warmers/vest. Easy to swap among my bikes (just have to swap out for bigger tubes if I'm riding my cross or Mtb). I like to travel light and don't like fumbling with seat packs among my many bikes (ie I'd have to get a seat pack for every one or keep moving one from bike to bike).
Old 10-27-12, 09:18 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by JanMM
Mini-Morph carried in pannier on my commuter 'bent.
Road Morph G on the frame of my other single 'bent.
Mountain Morph on the frame of our tandem 'bent.
Lucky enough not to have used them because my only flats in recent years have happened in the garage. (sound of rapping on head)
Why do you carry so many bent pumps? hehehehee!!!

Last edited by rekmeyata; 10-27-12 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 11:31 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
A couple of yen for a set of patches and glue, a couple more pesos for a spare tube, fifteen bucks for a frame pump. Then when Mother Nature bites one of your tires, about 5 minutes of relaxing "work" means you can continue your ride. I don't understand the logic behind not being prepared for mechanical failure on the road, and then recommending it to others. I haven't had a flat since 2006 but I'm at least prepared. Rims aren't cheap if you ride them nekkid! Take our advice - get a patch kit, tube and pump . . . it's "Bike 101".
I'm prepared just like you but i rely on more than one solution not just patches and pumps
You already choose another solution by riding a bicycle rather than driving a car for your commute. I've met drivers who think that a car is the only way to commute. When you ride a bike you realize it's not. So why do you keep thinking that repair kits and pump are the way to deals with flats while commuting?
Old 10-27-12, 11:55 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Stalwart commuter setup: Bontrager Air Rush Road -- convenience/speed of CO2; micro pump backup if needed.

On most other bikes, just CO2 inflator.
Old 10-27-12, 01:22 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

So why do you keep thinking that repair kits and pump are the way to deals with flats while commuting?
Seriously, what would be your serious response to my post?
Old 10-27-12, 02:52 PM
rekmeyata

So erig666, if you have a flat what are going to do? You said you have other ways to deal with that, do tell!
Old 10-27-12, 02:55 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
So erig666, if you have a flat what are going to do? You said you have other ways to deal with that, do tell!
I carry flat repair gear to ward off flats. I have an irrational fear that the time I'm not carrying flat repair kit is when I will need it.

Better to have flat repair capacity and not need it than need it and not have it...
Old 10-27-12, 02:57 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
Seriously, what would be your serious response to my post?

I've already answered your post and you have already answered mine. It goes circling. The fact is there are several solutions to the flat problem. Your solution is one mine is another one. In my case the way my bicycle is designed (thief deterrent), it take so long to remove a wheel that i will be home before i finish changing a tire. Not worth changing on the road and unnecessary.
In fact, i bought all the necessary gear a few years back when i hadn't thought through about the other solutions but it stays in the locker. For me something which stays in a locker for several years without being moved is pretty synonymous to useless.

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
it's written in my previous post.

There are several options particularly if you have added puncture proof tires and puncture proof liners because the risk of having a flat is much less likely:
-take the bus
-walk
-patch the tire from outside with some tape, glue, gum, nitrile gloves + ties etc.. to slow down the flat
-fill the tire with what you've got (clothes, paper, grass or whatever)
-ride with a flat tire
-hitchhiking
-etc..

Last edited by erig007; 10-27-12 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 04:23 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

I've already answered your post and you have already answered mine. It goes circling. The fact is there are several solutions to the flat problem. Your solution is one mine is another one. In my case the way my bicycle is designed (thief deterrent), it take so long to remove a wheel that i will be home before i finish changing a tire. Not worth changing on the road and unnecessary.
In fact, i bought all the necessary gear a few years back when i hadn't thought through about the other solutions but it stays in the locker. For me something which stays in a locker for several years without being moved is pretty synonymous to useless.

There are several options particularly if you have added puncture proof tires and puncture proof liners because the risk of having a flat is much less likely:
-take the bus
-walk
-patch the tire from outside with some tape, glue, gum, nitrile gloves + ties etc.. to slow down the flat
-ride with a flat tire
-hitchhiking
-etc..
You would rather ride a bus, walk, patch a tire from the outside with chewing gum, stuff it with clothing, hitch-hike or walk rather than the extremely easy 4 or 5 minute repair? Gracious me.
Old 10-27-12, 04:57 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Again have you read my other posts?
First it wouldn't take me 5 minutes to change a tire but way more on my bike
Secondly, it avoid me to buy and bring all the necessary kits all the time for no use except the hypothetical flat that i will have in year 2020 (i remind you that i have a puncture proof liner)
What i would do and have done when i didn't have a liner inside the tires as i already said before is ride home while the tire is getting flat. For the 5 miles I did up to my home the flat just barely slowed me down

Last edited by erig007; 10-27-12 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 06:17 PM
scaryseth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It does not matter, the focus is being taken away from the original question about what pump everyone uses. Not just about one persons choices on how to deal with a flat.

Just sayin
Old 10-27-12, 07:57 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by scaryseth
It does not matter, the focus is being taken away from the original question about what pump everyone uses. Not just about one persons choices on how to deal with a flat.

Just sayin
Absolutely true Seth, but with the side note that not a single thread in the history of BikeForums has ever stayed on topic, lol! I use a Topeak Road Morph on my frame, and a Topeak Joe Blow in my garage.
Old 10-27-12, 08:07 PM
rekmeyata

-take the bus
-walk
-ride with a flat tire
-hitchhiking
-etc..

There is no such thing as puncture proof tires, liners, or tubes, someday you're going to discover that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.