Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

I caused a crash tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-18, 06:41 PM
sgtdirt

Bikes: KHS Grit 400, Redline Conquest SS, Redline MonoCog SS,2014 Felt TK3,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
I caused a crash tonight.

during the 'Miss and Out' race tonight, i caused an accident. i feel terrible. nobody was seriously injured but none the less, people got hurt. i was in the sprinters lane and was boxed in. going into the finish line we where going hot and i miss judged my speed and ended up on the apron going into turn one. i got a little confused and not wanting to crash on the infield asphalt, i attempted to ride it out on the apron. this is where it went real bad. instead of going around the turn, i rode up which basically cut the group in half. the rider went down and the race was postponed. the guy i took out was able to walk away and will probably finish out the nights omnium. i left with my head in a not to good place.

what is the protocol for this situation? i apologized to everyone and didn't race the rest of the evening. as a matter of fact, i left as soon as knew the guy was was ok.

will i always be know as "that guy"? will other racers not want to race with me?

this is my third year of track racing and my first Cat4 race.
Old 08-11-18, 06:59 PM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I think we've all been "that guy" once in our racing careers. I know I have.
As long as you learn from your mistakes, you'll be ok. It's the guys that repeatedly do stupid, unsafe things that get a bad rep.
It sounds like you did the right thing by owning your mistake. My advice is to always remember how that felt and don't repeat it.
Try not to be so hard on yourself, we all do stupid stuff on occasion.
PI
Old 08-11-18, 08:32 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I spent most of my racing on the velodrome. I was also lucky enough to race on a team dedicated to track riding and we had an actual coach with lots of experience. Early season, we would spend a lot of our time at the track working on bike handling. Next time you are at the track, practice riding on to the apron and then back up to the pole lane. Start slow and increase speed only when you are comfortable and in control. There are a lot of handling drills you can do on your own. Be creative and make some for yourself that address deficiencies. We all make mistakes. Mark Cavendish caused a wreck at the Olympics. It happens.
Old 08-12-18, 05:42 AM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Two other things to remember:
1) The miss and out is a relatively dangerous event. The guys at the front are sprinting through turns 3 and 4 and slow up as they cross the line, the guys in the back are sprinting into the back of that.
Add the fact that people at the back are trying to fit into holes that aren't there and you have a race that will teach you handling skills in a hurry.
2) I don't know if all tracks have the same rules, but at T-Town, if you go onto the blue band during a miss and out, you're out. It doesn't matter why. If the refs see it, you're out.
Hope this helps.
PI
Old 08-12-18, 07:44 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
The miss-n-out is a risky race in general.

Originally Posted by sgtdirt
what is the protocol for this situation? i apologized to everyone and didn't race the rest of the evening. as a matter of fact, i left as soon as knew the guy was was ok.

will i always be know as "that guy"? will other racers not want to race with me?

this is my third year of track racing and my first Cat4 race.

I personally think that a personal warm apology is adequate.

Understand that others, not just those who went down or were even in the race, will feel a bit cautious about your riding skills for a while. This is natural and normal. It's not personal. To deal with this simply continue to show up. Warm up with everyone and race. Maybe just sit in for a race night or two and don't contest any sprints. Just show them that you indeed do have good bike handling skills. That will give them confidence in riding with you and sprinting alongside you.

Basically, for the next few race nights, show up and take it easy.
Old 08-13-18, 04:42 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
^ agree, always apologize in person as soon as appropriate. You've earned the "sketchy guy" rep, the only way to get past that is to get back in the races and let your riding speak up that you aren't sketchy.

Maybe practice the fixie skid for next time
Old 08-13-18, 07:14 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Since you're probably going to have to ride the miss-and-out again, here's a word of advice since you're probably going to be sketched out for a while. Ride it from the front from the very beginning. Even if you're not aerobically strong, you should be able to make it to at least mid-race. You just ride a strong aerobic tempo and surge a little in turn 3-4 when you feel someone on your outside. If one or 2 riders come over the top and drop in the lane in front of you, immediately ride on the hip of the lead rider (in 2nd position) -- also a very safe place. This is a super safe way to ride a miss and out that avoids the chaos of being 3 or 4 back on the inside.