Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

You Are Not Going To Believe This

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

You Are Not Going To Believe This

Old 04-22-20, 08:45 AM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oh, I believe it. Data strongly supports the argument that roads are designed dangerously to begin with, most people drive rushed and some are extra cray cray drivers. Other factors in my opinion, include car commercials, movies/TV make cars out to be invincible joy machines, which might give some people an ever so slightly stronger ideas to drive more recklessly. Add in the ease of access to substances and very believable.

Here is something similar but car transferring from road to path.

Driver crashes through Detroit overpass wall, falls onto Dequindre Cut

Just for laughs, in the same city, a neighborhood meeting, an old man talking about bike lanes being "the most dangerous thing in the city of Detroit."

Watch the segment a second time, paying attention to the woman that is more in the background directly to the left (from the camera's POV) of the man speaking.
Old 04-22-20, 09:02 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I think the OP should post a link to the police report from this incident to uncover the truth.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-22-20, 09:02 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Crazy!
My best guess is he was truckin down the bike path at a high rate of speed in the direction you see at night, which is crazy enough, and there is a concrete trash can up against the sea wall before where he went over the wall. He swerved to miss the trash can, over corrected and smashed into the sea wall crushing his bumper and right front fender exposing his right front tire which climbed the sea wall and launched him ending up 50 yards further down on the opposite side of the levee. This is insane.
Old 04-22-20, 09:03 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Hey, we don't need no stinkin' Accord for that. We use minivans.
I'm 74. I use my Ducati.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 04-22-20, 09:14 AM
ecsuser

Bikes: Sirrus 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Old 04-22-20, 09:15 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
I think the OP should post a link to the police report from this incident to uncover the truth.
I think AdkMtnMonster is a Troll.

Edit: This confirms it.

Last edited by mjac; 04-22-20 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-22-20, 09:25 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by DTownDave22
Oh, I believe it. Data strongly supports the argument that roads are designed dangerously to begin with, most people drive rushed and some are extra cray cray drivers. Other factors in my opinion, include car commercials, movies/TV make cars out to be invincible joy machines, which might give some people an ever so slightly stronger ideas to drive more recklessly. Advvv v d in the ease of access to substances and very believable.

Here is something similar but car transferring from road to path.

Driver crashes through Detroit overpass wall, falls onto Dequindre Cut

Just for laughs, in the same city, a neighborhood meeting, an old man talking about bike lanes being "the most dangerous thing in the city of Detroit."

Watch the segment a second time, paying attention to the woman that is more in the background directly to the left (from the camera's POV) of the man speaking.
DTownDave22, this was on a bike path, on top of a levee, with no open access roads, at night. This is insane.
Old 04-22-20, 09:44 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I agree. Not being familiar with that road design it's hard to interpret the pictures but surely he must have hit the fence from the railway line side or the fence would be down the other way.
Chainlink fence is pretty springy. Car leaves roadway at bottom left of pic, heads up smooth concrete ramp at speed, launches (barely) into/over barrier at a shallow angle of interception, pulling fence onto far side of the wall. As the vehicle continues downward and decelerates, the fence is released from tension and springs back over the barrier wall, as seen in the pics. Trust me, you’re never going to believe this. (And I don’t want you to believe it. It was... Aliens.)
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-22-20, 09:51 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
I think you all have it completely wrong. This driver was being responsible, considerate, and socially conscientious. They were probably on their way back from the local Covid-19 testing station with a positive result, and was so worried about self-quarantine and social distancing that they courteously didn't drive on the highway where they might infect a passing fellow motorist. Then they saw the empty bike path and thought "That's where I need to be - I won't infect anyone if I'm alone on a bike path, at night, far away from the other innocent, unsuspecting and terribly vulnerable drivers." The driver just miscalculated the width of the path. It was all just an innocent and heroic misunderstanding!

Oh, I also have a bridge for sale if anyone is interested....
Old 04-22-20, 09:55 AM
DTownDave22

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjac
DTownDave22, this was on a bike path, on top of a levee, with no open access roads, at night. This is insane.
I did understand your statement. I'm referring to the ever-present conditions, conditioning (having as fast of speed limits as we have is normal, going at or above the speed limit is normal, going below is "inconsiderate", cars are invincible machines) and mentality of how many drive much of the time, in large part due to design of the roads and cars (speed limits being a major component). That translates to doing dumb things, road or path, in this case, an extra dumb one. Ease of access to drugs, etc. and even greater risk of accidents. It is very believable.

The almost laughable comparison, thinking about it, is that speed limits are considerably high in the U.S. on many roads, accidents and deaths are virtually accepted/ we are desensitized to, yet speed limiting components on eBikes are not uncommon (don't feel like looking up the name of the part) but don't have them on most (if any) mass produced automobiles for U.S. market. You could go out and drive your typical auto at 90MPH or more. Why? I'm sure that last point has been talked about on here, and there were likely debates about having cars that go as fast as they do now, probably years ago once technology advanced but I'm sure those were squashed, similarly to how self-driving cars are now--they've been seemingly conditioning people that self-driving cars are inevitable and that they're the wave of the future.

I'm not here to go on about that, but to draw a comparison between how dangerous cars are and that this incident is very believable.
Old 04-22-20, 10:10 AM
mjac

I did understand your statement. I'm referring to the ever-present conditions, conditioning (having as fast of speed limits as we have is normal, going at or above the speed limit is normal, going below is "inconsiderate", cars are invincible machines) and mentality of how many drive much of the time, in large part due to design of the roads and cars (speed limits being a major component). That translates to doing dumb things, road or path, in this case, an extra dumb one. Ease of access to drugs, etc. and even greater risk of accidents. It is very believable.

The almost laughable comparison, thinking about it, is that speed limits are considerably high in the U.S. on many roads, accidents and deaths are virtually accepted/ we are desensitized to, yet speed limiting components on eBikes are not uncommon (don't feel like looking up the name of the part) but don't have them on most (if any) mass produced automobiles for U.S. market. You could go out and drive your typical auto at 90MPH or more. Why? I'm sure that last point has been talked about on here, and there were likely debates about having cars that go as fast as they do now, probably years ago once technology advanced but I'm sure those were squashed, similarly to how self-driving cars are now--they've been seemingly conditioning people that self-driving cars are inevitable and that they're the wave of the future.

I'm not here to go on about that, but to draw a comparison between how dangerous cars are and that this incident is very believable.
After thinking about it, strangely, I think we are in agreement. If this could happen on a bike path on top of a levee with no open access roads, imagine what you are exposing yourself to on the street with hundreds of these insane idiots.
Old 04-22-20, 10:17 AM
DTownDave22

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
After thinking about it, strangely, I think we are in agreement. If this could happen on a bike path on top of a levee with no open access roads, imagine what you are exposing yourself to on the street with hundreds of these insane idiots.
Not a big point, but one correction is that speed governors on automobiles very well may exist (and would not be surprised at all & would guess they do on many if not all) as I clearly don't know a lot about autos, but the point stands that legal speeds are high and arguably excessive, as well as all the other points I made. Your story is almost semi-funny (I'm semi-desensitized to news about accidents) as in almost a..

"Now that is the craziest accident I've seen!"

"Here, hold my beer" (actually was holding beer)
Old 04-22-20, 10:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
I wonder if his foot was still on the gas when he climbed the wall. Front wheel drive. The front tire would have been pulling the fence down. (I don't see how the car could have done that climbing without some engine help instead of simply bouncing off the wall and back toward the bikepath and street.
Old 04-22-20, 11:01 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I wonder if his foot was still on the gas when he climbed the wall. Front wheel drive. The front tire would have been pulling the fence down. (I don't see how the car could have done that climbing without some engine help instead of simply bouncing off the wall and back toward the bikepath and street.
Tire got up on the wall. There is a rubber tire track starting on the bike path side of the wall over the top of the wall at the angle he went over the wall. That was not left there by the brakes. The guy was rolling. Going that fast at night on a 9' wide bike path on top of a levee...
Old 04-22-20, 11:05 AM
mjac

Not a big point, but one correction is that speed governors on automobiles very well may exist (and would not be surprised at all & would guess they do on many if not all) as I clearly don't know a lot about autos, but the point stands that legal speeds are high and arguably excessive, as well as all the other points I made. Your story is almost semi-funny (I'm semi-desensitized to news about accidents) as in almost a..

"Now that is the craziest accident I've seen!"

"Here, hold my beer" (actually was holding beer)
Nah, I am more concerned about the attitude of drivers.
Old 04-22-20, 11:07 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by tgenec86
I think you all have it completely wrong. This driver was being responsible, considerate, and socially conscientious. They were probably on their way back from the local Covid-19 testing station with a positive result, and was so worried about self-quarantine and social distancing that they courteously didn't drive on the highway where they might infect a passing fellow motorist. Then they saw the empty bike path and thought "That's where I need to be - I won't infect anyone if I'm alone on a bike path, at night, far away from the other innocent, unsuspecting and terribly vulnerable drivers." The driver just miscalculated the width of the path. It was all just an innocent and heroic misunderstanding!

Oh, I also have a bridge for sale if anyone is interested....
Or maybe he was just an AH.
Old 04-22-20, 02:34 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

I think AdkMtnMonster is a Troll.

Edit: This confirms it.
Naw, I’m not nearly big enough to be a troll, but I *AM* a MONSTER! If you wanna find out for sure we can go for a bike ride. I almost never have a ride that has less than 2000’ of climbing. I do like expensive bibs, though.
Old 04-22-20, 02:58 PM
mjac

Naw, I’m not nearly big enough to be a troll, but I *AM* a MONSTER! If you wanna find out for sure we can go for a bike ride. I almost never have a ride that has less than 2000’ of climbing. I do like expensive bibs, though.
You are a Troll and I would appreciate it if you took it somewhere else.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-22-20, 03:07 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

You are a Troll and I would appreciate it if you took it somewhere else.

I can’t go anywhere. Shelter in place, ya know?

You told me I was never gonna believe what you said happened in your first post. Then, when I didn’t believe your version (and I wasn’t alone there) you called me a troll. (I’m a monster. A mountain monster. Says so right over there to the left...) We’re all just having fun with this thread, we’re bored, it has really nothing to do with bikes and riding bikes except that you saw this while out riding yours. Cool, ride on! Post a link to the police dept that investigated this wreck. Or the local paper. I’d dig it up, but I have no idea where it is. No one’s version of supposed events in this entire thread is likely correct, for what it’s worth.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-22-20, 03:36 PM
mjac

I can’t go anywhere. Shelter in place, ya know?

You told me I was never gonna believe what you said happened in your first post. Then, when I didn’t believe your version (and I wasn’t alone there) you called me a troll. (I’m a monster. A mountain monster. Says so right over there to the left...) We’re all just having fun with this thread, we’re bored, it has really nothing to do with bikes and riding bikes except that you saw this while out riding yours. Cool, ride on! Post a link to the police dept that investigated this wreck. Or the local paper. I’d dig it up, but I have no idea where it is. No one’s version of supposed events in this entire thread is likely correct, for what it’s worth.
You are a Troll.
Old 04-22-20, 03:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Hello. What’s this thread about?
Old 04-22-20, 04:01 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

You are a Troll.

No, man- I’m a MONSTER! No paved multi-use paths where I live, but miles and miles of gravel, dirt roads, mtn bike trails, and road riding so good you’d swear you’re in Heaven. Fewer than 11 ppl/mile sq. I’ve never seen a car wreck on a bike path before. Call me amazed, call me amused, but don’t call me a troll. (I’m a MONSTER!)
Old 04-22-20, 04:15 PM
mjac

No, man- I’m a MONSTER! No paved multi-use paths where I live, but miles and miles of gravel, dirt roads, mtn bike trails, and road riding so good you’d swear you’re in Heaven. Fewer than 11 ppl/mile sq. I’ve never seen a car wreck on a bike path before. Call me amazed, call me amused, but don’t call me a troll. (I’m a MONSTER!)
Troll.
Old 04-22-20, 04:21 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Troll.
I have to admit, you’re an engaging conversationalist. Now then, how do you suppose the car got up over the wall in such a way that it didn’t end up on its roof? That’s an interesting aspect to the crash. Seems like a fair bit of luck that the occupant wasn’t seriously injured. Where did this accident take place?
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-22-20, 07:34 PM
mjac

I have to admit, you’re an engaging conversationalist. Now then, how do you suppose the car got up over the wall in such a way that it didn’t end up on its roof? That’s an interesting aspect to the crash. Seems like a fair bit of luck that the occupant wasn’t seriously injured. Where did this accident take place?
A Troll liking another Troll's post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.