Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cannondale on bike rack

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cannondale on bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 06:23 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Cannondale on bike rack

Hi all, I have a Cannondale Caad8 2300 and throw it up on my bike rack to swap tires etc.. and someone mentioned that I should be careful on which part of the frame I mount it with. Is this a concern? it's an aluminum frame with carbon forks.

thanks
Old 06-01-20, 06:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The caution was intended for the use of a clamp-type repair stand. You do not want to clamp firmly onto the thin frame tubes and do heavy maintenance work as you could damage the tubes. Typically you clamp onto the seatpost. For just hanging the bike while you remove and replace the wheels or do simple things like chain lubing, the rack will be fine.
Old 06-01-20, 07:17 AM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Hi all, I have a Cannondale Caad8 2300 and throw it up on my bike rack to swap tires etc.. and someone mentioned that I should be careful on which part of the frame I mount it with. Is this a concern? it's an aluminum frame with carbon forks.

thanks
attach to the seat post I had a co op once put may caad5 frame with their clamp on the top tube and left a dent in a near mint bike . Was told by the worker it was already like that so be careful the aluminum is very light sure the newer caad frames are even lighter.
Old 06-01-20, 07:31 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
We see auto transported bike with issues all the time. The most common are paint and cable related. I have seen some frame damage too but that's not the norm. The real concern, besides kinked cables and scratched paint, is a dent or crack from the rack's arms or a second bike's pedals.

I do find it so short sighted when someone spends a few thousand on an uber light bike and then carries it on a really cheap car rack. Andy
Old 06-01-20, 07:48 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

I do find it so short sighted when someone spends a few thousand on an uber light bike and then carries it on a really cheap car rack. Andy
I don't know what's worse - a 2000$ bike on a 30$ rack or a 70$ BSO on a 1000$ rack.
Old 06-01-20, 09:22 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Good information, will start clamping to the seat post now, thanks. Ridingfool, that must have been frustrating when that happened. I hate when organizations damage products and don't admit to it (happened with my car once).
Old 06-01-20, 12:00 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Good information, will start clamping to the seat post now, thanks. Ridingfool, that must have been frustrating when that happened. I hate when organizations damage products and don't admit to it (happened with my car once).
I prefer clamping on the top tube if there aren't cables there. I wouldn't clamp a carbon or dropper post in any circumpstance.

I clamp it gently with a rag between the frame and clamp. If I have to do something that requires a significant amount of force (eg. removing a bottom bracket, cracks, pedals, etc) I do it with the bike on the floor. Never on the stand.

The stand is nice to adjust gears, change pads, bleed brakes, whatever thing requires to remove wheels, etc...
Old 06-03-20, 10:25 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
I prefer clamping on the top tube if there aren't cables there. I wouldn't clamp a carbon or dropper post in any circumpstance.
I've almost always heard the seat post advice for a carbon frame, and I did that while building mine up, but it honestly 'felt' really awkward. The stresses it was creating on the post and insertion area seemed like they would be worse than the other alternatives, but what do I know?

Totally agree about taking any bike off the stand for work that requires considerable force/torque.