Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shift lever acting up

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shift lever acting up

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-20, 02:18 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Shift lever acting up

The lever that controls shifting into lower (smaller) gears in the cassette is not working much of the time. Took it to bike shop. They sprayed de-greaser in there, and it seemed to fix it for my next ride, although a few times it didn't work. Then today, before the ride, I noticed it wasn't working, so I degreased again, and got it going. However, it stopped working pretty quickly into the ride, although by the end of a 2-hour ride, it began working again.
Any advice? Should it be lubed after being cleaned out? Is it just broken?

Last edited by CoogansBluff; 08-02-20 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 02:50 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
The lever that controls shifting into lower (smaller) gears in the cassette is not working much of the time. Took it to bike shop. They sprayed de-greaser in there, and it seemed to fix it for my next ride, although a few times it didn't work. Then today, before the ride, I noticed it wasn't working, so I degreased again, and got it going. However, it stopped working pretty quickly into the ride, although by the end of a 2-hour ride, it began working again.
Any advice? Should it be lubed after being cleaned out? Is it just broken?
If it is Shimano replace it. This normally occurs if you've stored your bike around a clothes dryer but can occur simply from age - once dust gets in the mechanism of a 10 or more speed shifter you cannot get them to work properly again. If it is a Campy a shop should be able to disassemble it and clean the entire mechanism. Just spraying penetrating oil into the mechanism rarely works even for one ride. This is rare in 8 speed shifters
Old 08-02-20, 03:10 PM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by RiceAWay
If it is Shimano replace it. This normally occurs if you've stored your bike around a clothes dryer but can occur simply from age - once dust gets in the mechanism of a 10 or more speed shifter you cannot get them to work properly again. If it is a Campy a shop should be able to disassemble it and clean the entire mechanism. Just spraying penetrating oil into the mechanism rarely works even for one ride. This is rare in 8 speed shifters
I'll have to check to see if Shimano. Most likely yes. It's a Specialized Roubaix. Wonder what caused it. Store it in garage, but no dryer there. I sweat quite a bit, so wonder if that might've caused damage over time.
Old 08-02-20, 03:33 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
I'll have to check to see if Shimano. Most likely yes. It's a Specialized Roubaix. Wonder what caused it. Store it in garage, but no dryer there. I sweat quite a bit, so wonder if that might've caused damage over time.
I've never seen sweat cause those sorts of problems. The ratchet mechanism in a 10 speed or more has teeth so fine that dust can clog it. If you ride it often normally the shifting keeps it fairly clean. Maybe someone has had luck flushing this out but I never have.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 08-04-20, 01:21 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
Shimano will not replace it, How old is it and how often do you shift. Could be a bad cable or just dirty/dusty. If the LBS just degreased it, it could need some lube, a spray grease might help. Not WD-40.
Old 08-04-20, 04:06 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22574 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Before you pitch it, verify cable is not kinked or fraying inside the shifter, or put new cable in. Sometimes stubbornness to go to smallest cogs is a symptom of cable kinking inside mechanism.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-04-20, 09:25 PM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by bwilli88
Shimano will not replace it, How old is it and how often do you shift. Could be a bad cable or just dirty/dusty. If the LBS just degreased it, it could need some lube, a spray grease might help. Not WD-40.
It's 2 years old. It worked fine today. LB degreased but also lubed. Then when it began failing, I degreased again without lubing. And now it seems to be working again.
Old 08-04-20, 09:28 PM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by datlas
Before you pitch it, verify cable is not kinked or fraying inside the shifter, or put new cable in. Sometimes stubbornness to go to smallest cogs is a symptom of cable kinking inside mechanism.
Cables have been replaced not long ago, so while that's possible, given its young age, I doubt that it's fraying (yet). When not working, it's not stubborn to go to the smallest cog per se, but rather doesn't shift at all, just kinda whiffs when you shift it. But hopefully problem is solved, or is linked to needing to be cleaned a little more and then lubed, which I probably now need to do after degreasing it again.
Old 08-05-20, 03:25 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
once dust gets in the mechanism of a 10 or more speed shifter you cannot get them to work properly again. If it is a Campy a shop should be able to disassemble it and clean the entire mechanism. Just spraying penetrating oil into the mechanism rarely works even for one ride. This is rare in 8 speed shifters
This is obvious Campy fanboy nonsense from a retrogrouch. As OP has already shown, it is entirely possible to clean a Shimano 10-speed shifter that had some debris inside it. Worst case scenario, the shifter might need to be taken off the bike so it can be flushed out more aggressively, but it sounds like OP has already found a path to success with strategically applied degreaser. Good job, OP!
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-05-20, 03:35 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
This is obvious Campy fanboy nonsense from a retrogrouch. As OP has already shown, it is entirely possible to clean a Shimano 10-speed shifter that had some debris inside it. Worst case scenario, the shifter might need to be taken off the bike so it can be flushed out more aggressively, but it sounds like OP has already found a path to success with strategically applied degreaser. Good job, OP!
Thanks for saying what I was thinking.
Old 08-05-20, 06:47 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I sprayed carburetor cleaner in there and it fixed it right up
Likes For Symox: