Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Contend vs. Defy?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Contend vs. Defy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 11:17 PM
athix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Contend vs. Defy?

Hey everyone! I'm new to these boards so if this has been dealt with somewhere else, I couldn't find it. Point me in that direction and I'll slink away...

I'm shopping for my next bike after graduating from a hybrid / fitness model that was my first non big-box bike. My rides have gotten longer and longer (40+miles atm) and I'm ready to move to an endurance road bike in an effort to improve comfort, gearing, and speed. After alot of shopping, comparing and some test riding at local LBS's, I think I'm down to either a Giant Defy Advanced 2 or a Conted AR 1. Mostly identical furniture, but the Contend is obviously aluminum framed while the Defy is full CF. There is a significant cost difference, so I thought I'd use my first ever post to ask for thoughts as to which I should go with from anyone who has experience with both. Due to the Great Bikepocalypse and the fact I live in the North country I probably won't be making my purchase until winter / early spring of 2021, so I've got time on my side... >_<

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-20, 06:26 AM
kosmo886

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by athix
Hey everyone! I'm new to these boards so if this has been dealt with somewhere else, I couldn't find it. Point me in that direction and I'll slink away...

I'm shopping for my next bike after graduating from a hybrid / fitness model that was my first non big-box bike. My rides have gotten longer and longer (40+miles atm) and I'm ready to move to an endurance road bike in an effort to improve comfort, gearing, and speed. After alot of shopping, comparing and some test riding at local LBS's, I think I'm down to either a Giant Defy Advanced 2 or a Conted AR 1. Mostly identical furniture, but the Contend is obviously aluminum framed while the Defy is full CF. There is a significant cost difference, so I thought I'd use my first ever post to ask for thoughts as to which I should go with from anyone who has experience with both. Due to the Great Bikepocalypse and the fact I live in the North country I probably won't be making my purchase until winter / early spring of 2021, so I've got time on my side... >_<

Thanks in advance!
What about look at the Giant Revolt Advanced. I have the 0...which is full carbon and love it. Marginally heavier than the road specific models as this is technically a gravel bike, but really comfortable geometry and flexibility to go with road tires or up to 48mm wide for trails. In any event, I'd go carbon if your budget allows. Very happy I upgraded my choice to the full carbon at the last minute.
Old 08-04-20, 07:19 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
They'll both be fine bikes.

I wouldn't let any thoughts of improved performance metrics sway you - you're not going to be meaningfully faster on either, though you might be marginally faster/more comfy on the Defy on all-day rides - so it's really going to come down to subjective stuff like your perception of ride quality and how you feel about the bike.

If buying the Defy will mean that you'll be more likely to pop out of bed looking forward to a ride, then it's well worth it. Likewise, if you've got the budget and you're prone to upgrading, I'd jump in and do the Defy - the frame is the single most difficult upgrade and doing so usually means selling the bike and buying a new one.
Old 08-04-20, 10:53 PM
athix

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Both great points. You've given me more to think about - I really am back and forth. I love riding, so I'll be motivated with either. I think the question might be whether I'm going to either want to upgrade to CF frame at some future date or whether I'll wish I had to begin with.... I was just curious whether there was any noticeable difference in comfort on rougher pavement / light off-road, or whether it was negligible.

I'm going to put some wider, more gravel-oriented tires on my current hybrid / fitness bike and using that for unimproved surface trail riding. I still like the bike, and this will keep it in the stable in use.
Old 08-05-20, 05:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Both great points. You've given me more to think about - I really am back and forth. I love riding, so I'll be motivated with either. I think the question might be whether I'm going to either want to upgrade to CF frame at some future date or whether I'll wish I had to begin with.... I was just curious whether there was any noticeable difference in comfort on rougher pavement / light off-road, or whether it was negligible.
Many will tell you that the tires offer such a huge percentage of the total compliance that the ride quality of a good aluminum frame will be indistinguishable from a carbon frame. Just as many will tell you that the first group is full of ****, that they don't know what they're talking about and that they're just trying to validate their own purchasing choice.

Personally, I like the way a good carbon frame rides and, between the miles that I put in and the health benefits that I receive, the difference in price would be marginal over the course of a few years. For someone that's new-ish to cycling, the amount of use might be uncertain and the math could be different, and I might advise to err on the side of being conservative... but for someone already putting in 40 mile rides regularly? Do it up.
Old 08-07-20, 11:33 AM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
If you're doing 40+ miles regularly, good for you! Absolutely try them both and go with the most comfortable one that still allows you to have the speed goals you have in mind. Note that speed vs comfort are still trade-offs. The Contend AR 1, Defy Advanced 2, and I would add the Revolt Advanced 2, should have your consideration. Install slicks on the Revolt, if you go that route.
Old 08-08-20, 09:33 AM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I don’t have the Contend, but I have a nice Defy Advanced 0 with Di2. A fantastic all around endurance road bike that’ll have you smiling every time you get on it. I have some great bikes, and the Giant Is still a fave.

Check the frame dimensions against the Contend. I like stack and a longer wheelbase. The Defy is hard to beat, unless you go Domane or Roubaix.
Old 08-18-20, 11:58 PM
athix

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks.

Now the guy at my LBS has me thinking about a lower tier TCR as an option as well... I may compare the Defy vs TCR on Friday. He rides one and told me he does 50-100 mile rides on it no problem.
Old 08-19-20, 02:39 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Thanks.

Now the guy at my LBS has me thinking about a lower tier TCR as an option as well... I may compare the Defy vs TCR on Friday. He rides one and told me he does 50-100 mile rides on it no problem.

The Defy geometry is going to be more relaxed, where the tcr is going to be more on the aggressive side. Thought process, the defy could be a touch more comfortable on longer rides. Test ride them both if you can.
Old 08-19-20, 07:27 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I'd like to try Giant's Defy and Contend myself. Based on the description by Giant and reviews I read on both, It looks like the Defy would be best, As comfort is a high priority me. Frame material and the tiny weight difference between the two bikes has never crossed my mind. Frame geometry and design features that improve compliance (for comfort) take precedence for me, Which the carbon frame Defy just happens to have.

Even though Giant doesn't consider the Contend to be an endurance bike, It is apparently a comfortable road bike too, as well as speedy and stable. One of the best value entry level road bikes IMO. So for those with someplace better to spend the difference in price, The Contend looks like a fine choice.

I have a 2018 Giant Sedona comfort bike now and love it, But sometimes would like to try something different. Perhaps next year, When my size Defy and Contend are available I might try them out. Giant seems to have a knack for building some of the best value bikes from entry level, like my Sedona to their performance bikes like their TCR.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 08-20-20 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 08:18 AM
realest777

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to cycling as well. I searched for the Contend AR as I figured it would be a great entry level bike. My goal is to compete in a half ironman, and then a full race in a year or so. I ended up with the Defy Advanced 2. I spent more, but there weren't many bikes out there. I've received lots of praise for the bike, and it's been great since I picked it up. The carbon frame and weight is light from my standards, and it's fun zipping on the trails. Good luck with your purchase.

P.S. I look into bikes more now and will be upgrading in a year or so. This sport's addicting. I also just realized my initial post received no replies lol
Old 08-19-20, 08:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If you are paying cash and not floating it on a credit card along with other debt, then either is fine. Otherwise, get the inexpensive bike.
Old 08-23-20, 12:10 AM
athix

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you are paying cash and not floating it on a credit card along with other debt, then either is fine. Otherwise, get the inexpensive bike.
Wise words. I don't put things like this on cards or purchase plans, I wait and save until I can pay cash. That's why I'm shopping now, so that I can have the bike on order if necessary so that I can ride it right away in the spring.

So this weekend I went back to the LBS to pick up my now gravel-upgraded Escape and tested a 2020 TCR Advanced disc (pretty much the same price as the Defy). The frame geometry on it was adjustable with spacers and seatpost to where it's actually an easy transition from my Escape, and the ride position is quite similar to the Defy. Not only that, I was surprised with the comfort and road feel it offered! It was at least as comfortable as the Defy I tested. I think I am now down to deciding between the Defy and the TCR.

My new bike shopping has now evolved from an aluminum endurance bike to an entry level carbon race bike. Sadly, my budget has evolved as well... LOL.

I may have to deflect the question if my wife asks how much I spent on my new bike...
Old 08-23-20, 12:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
TCR Advanced was one of the three bikes on my short list back in February when I was looking for a new bike. Cannodale Super Six EVO and Specialized Tarmac the other two.