Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Old 04-14-05, 02:48 PM
Kodama
Quietly Desperate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn that three master in the background is sweet!
Old 04-14-05, 03:40 PM
spanky4x4

Bikes: 88 c'dale mtb, early 80's mongoose mtb,82 schwinn heavy duti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kodama
Damn that three master in the background is sweet!
i was thinking the same thing. I wanted to see his bike real bad and when I got the chance all I was looking at was the ship in the background.

nice bike BTW
Old 04-19-05, 08:12 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phatman
nice. If it were mine, though, I'd ditch those mustache bars and swap front brakes for rear brakes. the froglegs are much more powerful then shorties (from what I've heard)

yeah, i took it on a 60 mile ride last week and the moustache bars KILLED my hands/wrists/arms. worst riding pain ever. so i'll be switching those out when i have the time/money for new bars and some of the cane creek aero levers.

if i could get another set of the froglegs for the front, i'd do that, but the reason why they're on the back now is because the shorties don't have enough travel in the pad for a 700c rear wheel. i fought with it for at least an hour to make it work. couldn't get the pads to clear the tire, and then i couldn't get enough spring tension. but the fronts mounted up and adjusted fine.

and yeah, the froglegs are a ton more powerful than the shorties. right now, it's like my braking power ratios are reversed, (60% from the rear, 30% from the front, and 10% of ohcrapihopeistopintime!!) i definitely have to do something about that.
Old 04-20-05, 09:16 AM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
...if i could get another set of the froglegs for the front, i'd do that, but the reason why they're on the back now is because the shorties don't have enough travel in the pad for a 700c rear wheel. i fought with it for at least an hour to make it work. couldn't get the pads to clear the tire, and then i couldn't get enough spring tension. but the fronts mounted up and adjusted fine...
I run Shortie 4's front & rear on my heavy tourer. I've plenty of stopping power up front, even on steep descents, massively loaded. If you have the time, perhaps fiddle with the fronts a bit. I'm thinking you may want to change to a different yoke link wire set (up front).

Nice write up by Sheldon Brown here, various examples of yoke link wire lengths about 3/4 down the article.

..oh and nice bike BTW!
Old 04-20-05, 02:37 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hey, thanks for the info. i pretty much just used the yoke link that came with the shorties, i guess i'll try a longer one.

the fuji world, which comes with the same brakes, also comes with a standard cable carrier, but the boxed shorty 4s do not. i was rather disappointed when i discovered this, as i wasn't planning on using the Y-link yoke. the only reason i bring this bike up is because i assembled one the week before i built mine up.
Old 04-22-05, 01:48 PM
Dio Rallen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a picture of my bicycle while packing. That’s what’ll look like when it’s all packed except a little bit more stuffed.

I got this bicycle right after my Fuji Ace was stolen. It was $175 off of a really nice man on Craigslist.org. The name of it is a Bridgestone Antares L.D.T, and I can find no information about it anywhere, even on the Bridgestone catalogues.

I was riding the other day and this other cyclist rode up next to me and complimented my bicycle. I think it’s the perfect bicycle for touring and am quite proud about it, so I thanked him for petting my bicycle possession ego even more. I told him the background, and he said it was worth way more than $175, and if I were to even sell it back to Bridgestone I would get way more money. I don’t care about the money so much, but I was curious as to why it was worth money, and he said it was a pretty rare bicycle.

All I know is, the only way anyone is going to get from me is to steal it, and they’ll have to go through my ten pound chain lock to do that. If anyone has any information about it, I would be eternally grateful.

My Back panniers are over 13 years old and are falling apart, but still oh so reliable. The cloth is just starting to tear and I’m sewing it up as I type. The front panniers I got for $20, and they are really sturdy and just perfect.

With this setup, I have plenty of room for my books, brochures, etc etc. Weight is not such a big deal to me, as I don’t weigh over 160 and most of that is in my legs. If I have so much packed that it compromises my wheels, I simply simplify.

I love my touring setup =D
Old 04-27-05, 01:43 PM
ratdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can start here...

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/
Old 04-28-05, 03:01 PM
stachemaster
rawthentic menergy

Bikes: 2005 johnny coast cycles #4 track, 1971 peugeot px-10 road, gt performer 1986 PINK bmx, 1966 raleigh rodeo 3-speed STICK SHIFT 20", 1960s rollfast tandem, 1970s raleigh fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is a picture from last summer's tour, at our highest elevation

its the big horn range in wyoming

we rode from nyc-sf, hitting the pacific at florence or and heading south.
4500 miles

i was on a fixed gear, 44x17 with a 20tooth freewheel on the flipside
frame is a 1971 peugeot px-10, found in a DUMPSTER!
one front brake

this is my new ride - going counterclockwise around europe, starting in rome, ending in france.
Old 05-03-05, 11:56 AM
bicycletrek

Bikes: Bianchi: Trofeo (steel frame road bike from 1986), Cannondale: T-2000 (aluminum frame touring bike from 1997)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some pics of my loaded Cannondale T-2000 bike during a NYC to Chicago bike trek in 1997. Includes Blackburn racks front and back topped off with Jannd panniers. This bike has treated me well and is a great riding machine.

Above pic taken in Griffith, Indiana on the last day (June 9) of the tour before reaching Chicago later that afternoon.

Above pic taken the morning of the first day (May 18) of the ride at my friend's home in Clifton, New Jersey.
Old 05-05-05, 03:01 PM
Kodama
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being that I'm only 2 weeks away from my little Spring Tour of Eastern WA, I've begun doing rides with my full pannier set. My front bags, fully loaded, are now on for the duration for my commute and rec rides letting me get used to the handling differences. Anway this allows me to get a pic of my new Atlantis with its full bag setup.

Full specs and a lot more pictures on my Bicycle Page
Old 05-05-05, 07:08 PM
Rogerinchrist

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice set-up there Kodama. I really can't get myself to like that Atlantis color, and green is my favorite!
Old 05-06-05, 10:19 AM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my new touring bike assembled for me by Urbane Cycle in Toronto. Note the custom work on the bars to include my Arkell handlebar bag, a rear brake handle as well as the Cateye, bell and compass.

I'm taking it on a shakedown tour this weekend (May 07-08).
Old 05-06-05, 10:38 AM
bradw
Slow and unsteady

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stokell
This is my new touring bike assembled for me by Urbane Cycle in Toronto.
Could you make those images larger?
Old 05-06-05, 11:03 AM
eastbaybob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kodama,

That is the most beautiful bicycle that I have ever seen. I've been looking at bikes for a while and seeing yours just sealed the deal with Rivendell. Thanks for the pics and good luck on your tour.

Bob
Old 05-06-05, 01:42 PM
Kodama
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbaybob
Kodama,

That is the most beautiful bicycle that I have ever seen. I've been looking at bikes for a while and seeing yours just sealed the deal with Rivendell. Thanks for the pics and good luck on your tour.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I can't really say how pleased I am with the Bicycle, it is such a nice ride, handles great loaded and unloaded and is such a pleasure to look at. As I was adding the various parts and such to it, I just kept finding little details here and there - cream highlights on little hidden places, curly-cues on lugs at the bottom of the bicycle and the like.

Originally Posted by Rogerinchrist
Nice set-up there Kodama. I really can't get myself to like that Atlantis color, and green is my favorite!
Yeah, since I figured that this is the closest I'm going to get to a custom I wanted it in the color I like. I find the stock Atlantis color just OK and I wanted it in Green - also my favorite color. The Pea Sage Green is so nice and works beautifully with the Cream highlights and the tan of the Brooks. If one is already willing to spend the cost of an Atlantis (which is totally cheap if you consider that the bicycle should last you the rest of your life) it is worth the modest up charge for your ideal color.
Old 05-07-05, 07:23 AM
andrewh
where2pedalto.com

Bikes: LoGo Recumbent Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by salvaico
There are often pictures of bikes, but pictures of loaded bikes seem to be harder to come by searching this forum. So here is my contribution.

This is a picture of my bike from my european tour.
Not too sure if it will come through okay, but here is a pic of our Logo recumbent trikes the morning we set off around Australia
Old 05-07-05, 07:46 PM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewh
Not too sure if it will come through okay, but here is a pic of our Logo recumbent trikes the morning we set off around Australia
Looks like a house on the Gold Coast?

a
Old 05-08-05, 02:54 AM
andrewh
where2pedalto.com

Bikes: LoGo Recumbent Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azesty
Looks like a house on the Gold Coast?

a
WAIKIKI in Western Australia actually
Old 05-11-05, 12:18 PM
radiojoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my 1988 Trek 520. Traded an old Nintendo for the frame, the rest of the stuff salvaged from another bike. This is a test load, getting ready for a cross country tour that starts in 5 days. https://radiojoe.crazyguyonabike.com
Old 05-11-05, 01:11 PM
Kodama
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a corpse in that plastic bag?

Good luck on your tour, should be great. I grew up in Anacortes, which is a beautiful town. My advice while you are there is to go to the 24 hour donut place, they have amazing donuts. As you leave town, right past where Commercial interests with HWY 20 is a little place called 'The Store' they have the best muffins I have ever eaten. Grab a 1/2 dozen to help you through the first leg of your trip.
Old 05-11-05, 03:21 PM
Per Kuhlwein

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Radiojoe

I too wish you a good luck on your tour. When I see your front panniers I immediately think about my trip to Asia – especially Japan. They have very high curbstones. I do not know how it is "over there" in US town areas – but be careful the panniers are hanging very low

Once again have a nice trip!
Old 05-11-05, 04:36 PM
radiojoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll make sure and try to find those donuts and muffins on my way out of town, thanks for the tip! I'll also try and keep an eye out for any obstacles that could collide with my panniers...

-rj
Old 05-12-05, 02:53 PM
geeklpc1985

Bikes: 2004 Martin Novato w/ 2004 Burley Nomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GEEK
Old 05-13-05, 07:04 AM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Geek, What is it that you have installed on top of your trailer?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-05, 09:32 AM
Matthew A Brown
this bike is an aqueduct

Bikes: Villin custom touring, Medici Pro Pista, KHS Alite1000, Windsor fixed commuter

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, that's a guit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.