Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding Shy After Repair

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding Shy After Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-15, 06:49 PM
Rcrxjlb

Bikes: Unknown Kalin MTB, 2013 Denali, 1977 Raleigh from Malaysia, 1982 Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Riding Shy After Repair

I just repaired my back wheel myself (new inner tube, homemade rim strip, eyeball truing attempt).

Went for a ride and can't bring myself to go over 10 mph.

Do you feel a little shy after you've repaired your bike, or do you go out and beat on it as usual?
Old 09-17-15, 07:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Rcrxjlb
eyeball truing attempt
What did you do for the truing? Did you use something like brake pads, or a pen or pencil as a gauge?

Anyway, I do little things on my bike all the time. I might avoid some potholes, but not really babying it.

A first ride on a "new" bike might be a little cautious.
Old 09-17-15, 07:42 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what's the point of doing the repair yourself, if you have no confidence in it?
I understand the need to save money whenever possible, but questionable bicycle repairs is a dangerous place to cut corners.
Old 09-17-15, 07:46 PM
Rcrxjlb

Bikes: Unknown Kalin MTB, 2013 Denali, 1977 Raleigh from Malaysia, 1982 Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
What did you do for the truing? Did you use something like brake pads, or a pen or pencil as a gauge?

Anyway, I do little things on my bike all the time. I might avoid some potholes, but not really babying it.

A first ride on a "new" bike might be a little cautious.
I used the brake pads as a guide. Not perfect but better...
Old 09-17-15, 07:52 PM
Rcrxjlb

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
I understand the need to save money whenever possible, but questionable bicycle repairs is a dangerous place to cut corners.
I like doing things myself. I've worked in construction so I know how to work with my hands.

But I'm still new to bikes...
Old 09-17-15, 08:17 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Usually just jump on and go, don't give it much thought except when I replace the chain. I go easy on it for a mile or so, and also when I work on the brakes I give them a few tries before ramping up.
Old 09-17-15, 08:40 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Whenever I do some work on my bikes, I usually take a few laps around the neighborhood to check adjustments, then forget about it and just ride. I've done everything from bike builds, wheel builds and basic adjustment and maintenance. The wheel builds seemed to require the most caution because there's so much voodoo involved. As for your repairs, I probably wouldn't have used a homemade rim strip. But that's just me.
Old 09-17-15, 08:42 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Full speed ahead.
Old 09-17-15, 09:03 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Full speed ahead.
Absolutely...

My signature says it for me.
Old 09-17-15, 09:30 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
I trust my own work more than any shop I've been in in the last few decades. So yeah, once I'm done, it's business as usual.

If you can't trust the work of your own hands, what's the point?
Old 09-17-15, 10:17 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I feel much more confident on my first ride after a repair than I did on the last ride before it when I knew something was wrong but hadn't fixed it yet. So as others have said, maybe a quick run-through of the gears to be sure nothing got out of adjustment, but after that just ride as usual.
Old 09-17-15, 10:47 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Maybe not for wheels, but typically I will ride a little neighborhood loop shifting through the cluster, testing brakes, just making sure I am happy with how things are running. I might have a couple allens in my pocket to make on the road adjustments, or I am close enough I can return and put her back on the stand if needed.

For truing I would think you can pretty much watch it on the stand. I don't think I've ever had a wheel just "go out of true" riding compared to on the stand. But my worst case is replacing broken spoke so maybe other repairs have a different "first post-repair ride" experience.

As far as DIY rimstrips, been there done that and if you are careful, it works but if not be ready to fix flats on the road. Speed isn't a determinant AFAICT. In the end buying decent rimstrip is easier.

scott s.
Old 09-17-15, 10:57 PM
dprayvd
makn'a phonecall to doggy

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
Whenever I do some work on my bikes, I usually take a few laps around the neighborhood to check adjustments, then forget about it and just ride. I've done everything from bike builds, wheel builds and basic adjustment and maintenance. The wheel builds seemed to require the most caution because there's so much voodoo involved. As for your repairs, I probably wouldn't have used a homemade rim strip. But that's just me.
So, us all standing in your space on the day & it's gonna be "gee, no rimstrip noride?"

Old 09-17-15, 11:15 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
So, us all standing in your space on the day & it's gonna be "gee, no rimstrip noride?"
Exactly! If you don't go to the best LBS and buy the most expensive rim strip, you will not be allowed to ride.

As indicated, I am more comfortable with Velox rim tape on my bikes. If I am caught without that availability, I'll use whatever I can find until I can get what I like - including Scotch tape, Hello Kitty bandaids, Ace Bandages, or jock tape. I've seen too many flats caused by cheesey factory installed rim strips to trust sketchy rim tape.
Old 09-17-15, 11:53 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I feel more confident riding a bike that I've worked on rather than one that someone else has. That way I know that all the nuts and bolts have been properly tightened.

But I do carry a few handy allen keys for the next ride or two, e.g. if I put new cleats on shoes I would take an allen key for any adjustments/tweaks. Or if I'd worked on the truth of the wheel (is that even a phrase?) I would take a spoke key with me.

If I buy a new bike I almost always replace the cheap rim tape because I've had that stuff blow out before. The last thing I want is a blow out at 60kmh caused by dodgy rim tape. Mind you, my current wheels don't need rim tape so hopefully that's something I don't have to worry about in the near future.
Old 09-20-15, 08:33 PM
yuoil 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
if you keep repairing the bike yourself you'll eventually gain more confidence.
Old 09-20-15, 08:48 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Give it hell. If you get a flat or go out of true on your rear tire, you'll feel or hear it long before it causes a crash. You have to be a little bit more cautious with the front wheel, but I've hit something and lost both tires and not fallen over (while clipped in). You'll be fine.
Old 09-20-15, 10:13 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Agreed, full out; but close to home in case you need to limp home. Seriously, would you prefer to shake out a problem 50 miles from nowhere?

Frankly, what you're taking about testing is not a big deal. Frame building, wheel building - now that's a leap of faith.
Old 09-21-15, 05:44 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Agreed, full out; but close to home in case you need to limp home. Seriously, would you prefer to shake out a problem 50 miles from nowhere?

Frankly, what you're taking about testing is not a big deal. Frame building, wheel building - now that's a leap of faith.
I never had second thoughts about going 50 mph downhill on both at the same time.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-21-15, 08:26 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Riding Shy After Repair

How did you make the rim strip? If it's from old inner tube, replace it.
Old 09-21-15, 09:01 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I just repaired my back wheel myself (new inner tube, homemade rim strip, eyeball truing attempt).

Went for a ride and can't bring myself to go over 10 mph.

Do you feel a little shy after you've repaired your bike, or do you go out and beat on it as usual?

Originally Posted by avidone1

Originally Posted by bmcer
I trust my own work more than any shop I've been in in the last few decades. So yeah, once I'm done, it's business as usual.

If you can't trust the work of your own hands, what's the point?
I recently replied to this thread on the Road Cycling Forum, ”Do You Work / Maintain Your Own Bikes?,”(particularly regarding my high-end carbon fiber bike).

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Time eventually became too much of a premium, so now my LBS does it all.

Besides time, I have never had good facilities to work easily… Having the LBS do it all, in my case is a really good deal. The shop is one block away, and they will fix many things at a convenient time for me. They are so expert that they can do these things quickly, better than me, and often spot problems that I did not see. Whenever I leave the shop, the bikes ride as if new again.

Because the bikes are a major transportation mode for me, keeping them in good repair is critical. We save a lot of money on transportation, so further using the LBS is even more cost-effective. I tip well, not, “To Insure Prompt Service,” but because I am so appreciative of their work. Hats off to Back Bay Bikes.
This summer I fractured the right-hand drop of my CF handlebars, and rode it gingerly without weight on the right. I gave it no further thought once my shop replaced the handlebars.
Old 09-21-15, 06:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The one time I should have been shy after my own repairs, I wasn't. And I was damned lucky.

For some dumb reason in the late 1970s I thought it might be a really good idea to run my wheel hub bearings on just WD-40 and no grease. Less rolling resistance or some boneheaded logic. First time I felt the heat waves coming off the front hub when I reached down to flip the quick release to lock up the bike, I realized something was desperately wrong with my reasoning.

That afternoon I bought a tube of Phil grease and redid both wheels and the crank before the next morning's commute. I was just lucky the raceways weren't scored.
Old 09-21-15, 10:43 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After any sort of repair or adjustment I'll head around my tiny road and jump around on the bike a bit. A few bunny hops, a few hard pedals, and a shift through the rear cluster, after that it's 100% go time.

I also trust my work more than any LBS.
Old 09-22-15, 11:13 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Homemade rim strip? Just use Velox tape and be done with it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
velox.jpeg (23.6 KB, 6 views)