Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Safety on Pacific Coast Bike Route

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 02-09-20, 04:42 PM
Mongoeric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could anyone comment on the safety on the Pacific Coast Bike Route? Mostly concerned with safety issues from other people not from cars.

Some backstory. My son and I rode from Vancouver to SF but had to stop to attend a family wedding. I would like to finish going from SF to the Mexican border. I would use the Adventure Cycling Association maps and mix camping with some hotels, probably 50/50.

Watching and reading about problems in California makes my family concerned. Any first hand comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Old 02-09-20, 06:44 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Although I've only driven the route... I don't think I'm the best to give bike specific information. But I would suggest that you try to time your ride so that you hit the greater Los Angeles area on a weekend. Weekday and rush hour traffic can be brutal from Just North of Santa Monica until you get past Long Beach and get into Seal Beach.
Old 02-09-20, 06:52 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
There are a lot of people who ride that route. I do not know how many journal but I would go to Crazyguyonabike and reach out to people who have recently toured. You also may want to reach out to bike clubs and/or advocacy groups in the areas that seem to be the most concerning. It has been a few years but I road from LA into Mexico. It was fine.
Old 02-09-20, 07:53 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Mongoeric
Watching and reading about problems in California makes my family concerned. Any first hand comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.
What kind of problems are you reading about?
Old 02-09-20, 08:16 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Ditto the above from TrojanHorse. I've ridden it from San Luis Obispo to Orange County on a multi-day trips (multiple times), and separately from Orange County to downtown San Diego on single day rides, and never really experienced and problems with people. I'd just assume every community has their share of harmless oddballs. Venice Beach is just weird, but the only place I was worried about was going through was the Los Angeles/Long Beach harbor area, but if you time your trip so you go through there on a weekend you'll miss the heavy truck traffic coming into/going out of the harbor area. I'd suggest doing it in the fall after all the tourist season is over; the weather will still be nice and the prices of hotels usually drop.
Old 02-09-20, 10:02 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Could be the Story about the guy who was at a campsite and was shot by some Homeless nutjob.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/antho...b0116c11f0cf4e"A 35-year-old chemist from Irvine, Beaudette and his two daughters, then 2 and 4 years old, were camping at Malibu Creek State Park when he was fatally shot in the head as they slept in their tent. His two daughters survived.

His death cast a spotlight on the 8,200-acre recreation area, which is 25 miles from Los Angeles. Before his death, multiple other shootings were reported in the area, prompting authorities to look for possible links."
Old 02-10-20, 12:08 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
His concern could also be all the homeless/mental/druggie types in SF leaving turds and needles everywhere.
Old 02-10-20, 12:32 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Kinda of what like the Southern half of SART was a short time ago?
Old 02-10-20, 01:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
His concern could also be all the homeless/mental/druggie types in SF leaving turds and needles everywhere.
Last year I heard some guys on a radio talk show talking about the amount of human feces on the streets.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand.../#52c20ace5ea5

I am seeing it more and more in Philly now.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-13-20, 04:17 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
For the most part (the SART issue last year aside) the homeless feces streets are not where you're riding a bike. I hope.