Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Peloton sparks sexism mockery over commercial

Old 12-03-19, 03:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I‘ve done some Soulcycle classes and ridden a Peloton at hotel gyms, usually the class is 80-90% women. I think a lot of women like the idea of riding a bike for exercise but are fearful of riding alone on trails or being hit by a car in the road. Also, group led exercise is more motivating and has higher appeal for some people than solo activities. Soulcycle class three times a week would run you $2~3K/year, this is Peloton’s intended target audience. I don’t think they’ve priced themselves out of their target market at all. The bike itself seems like a solid piece of gym equipment and if you went and purchased a ‘smart’ trainer bike like a Neo smart bike or Wattbike it would be a similar amount.

What I dislike is the whole recent thing of fitness shaming on social media (MAMIL anyone?). I’m sure this woman feels better and stronger after avidly riding her Peloton for a year. Good for her. I bet her FTP is way higher than anyone who is leaving a negative comment on YouTube.

I think it would be pretty foolish to think that they have priced themselves out of their target market. They basically invented their product category and have been one of the great marketing success stories.

As to your last paragraph, that's pretty silly. You do realize that the people in commercials are actors reading scripts, right? I'm sure the woman feels better (if not stronger) after getting her paycheck, but nothing about the commercial is real.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-03-19, 03:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Although I spend some time on recumbent machines at our YMCA in the winter (I ride recumbent bikes) I can't get too worked up one way or the other about exercise bikes of any sort. Or about advertising for such things.

I use the elliptical at high resistance when I have to use a machine. It's more of a full-body workout, and burns calories faster. If I'm on a bike, I want to go somewhere.
I'm sure I'd hate their product because I can't stand that cheerleading/yelling bit, plus the leaderboard thing would annoy me because I can't think of anything I less want to get competitive about. But I'm just not their target audience.
Old 12-03-19, 03:51 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
did you run out of enough safe space? or something...
Actually, I found the "OK, boomer" post very amusing. I'm not certain to whom it was directed, but if to me: direct hit. I'm technically a boomer (I was born in the last year defining that cohort).
Old 12-03-19, 04:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Wait a minute- social media is outraged about something?!? I am shocked!***
I have seen that commercial a bunch of times, but its always an abridged version- I hadnt seen that the husband gave it to her for christmas. I always wondered(not really) why she was videoing herself then sharing it at the end.

1- That commercial sucks. Just plain sucks, whether you choose to see sexism or not. Its stupid.
- Why is she nervous to start riding it in her own home?...thats odd.
- Why keep the bike in the middle of their modern open concept main floor?
- Who keeps a vlog of their activity for a year to then splice and share with their spouse?!? I thankfully have actually important things to do- even laying on the couch is more important that that. My wife would agree with this too.
- If she didnt realize how the gift would change her, then why did she commit to vlogging the experience?...makes no sense.

2- After reading the article and some twitter outrage, I am convinced that those who find the commercial to be misogynistic or domineering or whatever are projecting. They are projecting their frustration, insecurities, or whatever onto the commercial's characters. A husband gets a present for his wife and she ends up using it a bunch and thanks him. Oh the horror!
- Perhaps they were at the mall, she saw the Peloton kiosk, and commented in an interested manner. Husband then decided to get it since she commented in interest. How is that bad?
- Perhaps she mentioned to her husband that she was struggling to dedicate time to exercise with all of life's responsibilities so the husband thought this would make exercising easier and more frequent. How is that bad?
- etc etc etc. There are tons of very realistic scenarios where this is a nice present and none of the cynicism projected by the outraged applies.

3- luxury item commercials always suck because the scenarios and situations seem absurd to most of us since, you know, they are absurd.
Old 12-03-19, 04:21 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wait a minute- social media is outraged about something?!? I am shocked!***
I have seen that commercial a bunch of times, but its always an abridged version- I hadnt seen that the husband gave it to her for christmas. I always wondered(not really) why she was videoing herself then sharing it at the end.

1- That commercial sucks. Just plain sucks, whether you choose to see sexism or not. Its stupid.
- Why is she nervous to start riding it in her own home?...thats odd.
- Why keep the bike in the middle of their modern open concept main floor?
- Who keeps a vlog of their activity for a year to then splice and share with their spouse?!? I thankfully have actually important things to do- even laying on the couch is more important that that. My wife would agree with this too.
- If she didnt realize how the gift would change her, then why did she commit to vlogging the experience?...makes no sense.

2- After reading the article and some twitter outrage, I am convinced that those who find the commercial to be misogynistic or domineering or whatever are projecting. They are projecting their frustration, insecurities, or whatever onto the commercial's characters. A husband gets a present for his wife and she ends up using it a bunch and thanks him. Oh the horror!
- Perhaps they were at the mall, she saw the Peloton kiosk, and commented in an interested manner. Husband then decided to get it since she commented in interest. How is that bad?
- Perhaps she mentioned to her husband that she was struggling to dedicate time to exercise with all of life's responsibilities so the husband thought this would make exercising easier and more frequent. How is that bad?
- etc etc etc. There are tons of very realistic scenarios where this is a nice present and none of the cynicism projected by the outraged applies.

3- luxury item commercials always suck because the scenarios and situations seem absurd to most of us since, you know, they are absurd.
If they tried to sell a Peloton using the cold and dark hellhole I train in, they would be out of business in a week. As was said more than a few times up above, selling out of the ordinary items requires an appealing setting, not a 30 f garage.
Old 12-03-19, 04:57 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I’m with the critics on this one. It is an asinine commercial.
Old 12-03-19, 05:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I won't touch the alleged sexism, but that Twitter thread was pretty hilarious at times.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-03-19, 05:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I’m with the critics on this one. It is an asinine commercial.
sure its asinine, but it can be asinine for a number of reasons.
what makes it asinine to you?
Old 12-03-19, 05:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Just dropping by for my occasional observation that Peleton is a bike racing word but it's used for a spin-class product, while Zwift is a bike-racing product whose name sounds like a food delivery app
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-03-19, 06:33 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
The ad seems a bit dull and stupid to me. But offensive seems a stretch beyond all reason.

Or maybe the Peloton marketing team is absolute genius - WAY more people have seen this ad due to the furor being raised than would every see a 'reasonable Peloton commercial'. Are all these Twitter/Whoever folks being paid by Peloton (or is all this being driven by fake accounts?).

dave

ps. Now that I think about it, you only need to 'seed' social media a couple of 'trigger postings' and you are off to the races.
Old 12-03-19, 06:47 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
At least it's not one more ad where the white male is the stupid, clueless buffoon.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 12-03-19, 07:04 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I personally wasn't offended by it as a fairly socially liberal man. And it had me wondering, are these same writers and people who were upset by the Peloton ad also protesting the SI Swimsuit Edition, or everything Victoria's Secret has ever done? Women are objectified by all manner of industries. This Peloton thing isn't news, it's old hat.

My objection to Peloton is that with around $2400 or so, a person could get a nice bike with 105 or Rival (CF) or even maybe Ultegra or Force (Al) and then be able to actually enjoy riding a real bike. Add a cheap trainer and Zwift and you're all set.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-03-19, 07:16 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I personally wasn't offended by it as a fairly socially liberal man. And it had me wondering, are these same writers and people who were upset by the Peloton ad also protesting the SI Swimsuit Edition, or everything Victoria's Secret has ever done? Women are objectified by all manner of industries. This Peloton thing isn't news, it's old hat.

My objection to Peloton is that with around $2400 or so, a person could get a nice bike with 105 or Rival (CF) or even maybe Ultegra or Force (Al) and then be able to actually enjoy riding a real bike. Add a cheap trainer and Zwift and you're all set.
What cheap Zwift option are you talking about? I was under the impression that there lowest cost for that was $500 for a connected mag trainer.
Old 12-03-19, 07:17 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Tell that to Wahoo. The KICKRbike is listed at $3,499. Most of the smart trainer market hovers around $1,200, and you still need a bike, and all of the tech to pipe in Zwift, TrainerRoad, etc.

In the cycling world where $15k bikes and $600 derailleur cages are actual things, a $2,200 exercise bike doesn't seem so crazy to me.
pfft.. $3.5K is nothing.
Seen the Elite Fuoripista? $17K at CleverTraining.. Hurry while supplies last

Old 12-03-19, 07:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
pfft.. $3.5K is nothing.

its like you are sitting atop a bull with horns.
Old 12-03-19, 07:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
At least it's not one more ad where the white male is the stupid, clueless buffoon.
they reserve that role for every sitcom.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-03-19, 07:35 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It's a silly commercial but no more silly then any other commercial. I can't see anything offensive about it. Anybody who feels offended is because their minds have been poisoned by political correctness bull****.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-03-19, 07:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
pfft.. $3.5K is nothing.
Would go smashingly with some Bang and Olufsen Beolab 18s, (in silver and maple, naturally) and of course an LG OLED88Z9P for the visuals.
Old 12-03-19, 07:51 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's a silly commercial but no more silly then any other commercial. I can't see anything offensive about it. Anybody who feels offended is because their minds have been poisoned by political correctness bull****.
Challenge your preconceived notions and explore where they come from. Another term for "politically correct", as it's frequently used in conservative circles, is empathetic.
Old 12-03-19, 07:57 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Challenge your preconceived notions and explore where they come from. Another term for "politically correct", as it's frequently used in conservative circles, is empathetic.
I disagree. I am politically conservative. I am was born and raised in a Communist regime. I know oppression when I see it. PC has become code for repression and intolerance.

Politically correct has become a culture of oppression and intolerance. There is a world of difference between feeling empathy for others, and trying to tell everyone else how to run their lives.

I am old enough and have seen enough to know the difference between the two.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 12-03-19 at 08:08 PM.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 12-03-19, 07:58 PM
bpcyclist

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
What cheap Zwift option are you talking about? I was under the impression that there lowest cost for that was $500 for a connected mag trainer.
Yeah, I am certainly no expert, but it does seem like there are some more affordable options these days than there were a couple of years ago. One that comes to mind off the top of my head is the Tacx Satori. Depending on what kind of shopper you are, you can find it for around 200-270 bucks or even less, sometimes--if you time it right.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-03-19, 07:59 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
pfft.. $3.5K is nothing.
Downtube shifters, a Brooks saddle, and channelling the dandy-horses that started this whole bicycling thing... I don't completely hate it!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-03-19, 08:02 PM
OBoile

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I'm pretty liberal... I don't see why any reasonable person would take offence to this.
Old 12-03-19, 08:03 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Kinetic offers ZWIFT ready trainers for $300.00.

https://www.kurtkinetic.com/zwift-compatible-trainers
Old 12-03-19, 08:05 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Yeah, I am certainly no expert, but it does seem like there are some more affordable options these days than there were a couple of years ago. One that comes to mind off the top of my head is the Tacx Satori. Depending on what kind of shopper you are, you can find it for around 200-270 bucks or even less, sometimes--if you time it right.
You are absolutely correct.

Here are some: https://www.kurtkinetic.com/zwift-compatible-trainers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.