Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Shopping around for a first MTB

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 09:47 AM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey MTBer's , I mostly hang out in C & V but I'd love some of your advice. I'm looking for a mountain bike for my Dad , his first. He's not looking for a commuter or all around bike but an honest to goodness MTB. I'm a decent mechanic so the idea of finding just a frame and building it up isn't out of the question, it's just I don't know a ton of brands / models to look for or avoid.

He's convinced he wants full suspension as he's getting up there and years and isn't going to be doing much other types of riding on it, but other than that I'm not too positive of what styles / features to focus on. I don't think he wants / needs a giant downhill type bike but again my knowledge is pretty limited. We've been scoping out the local used scene and some on ebay but haven't found anything great just yet and he doesn't want to spend $1000 on a used mtb that is damaged or a real pain to repair / find parts for.

So anyone with any tips, advice , good deals or brands to check out I'm all ears. Thanks !
Old 05-03-13, 12:10 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 57 Posts
Camber 29er - but I doubt you'll find a decent used one in his price range.
Old 05-03-13, 01:31 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by sauze
We've been scoping out the local used scene and some on ebay but haven't found anything great just yet and he doesn't want to spend $1000 on a used mtb that is damaged or a real pain to repair / find parts for.

Would look for something less than 3 years old, and from a mainstream manufacture, like Trek, Giant, Specialized etc, preferably with a dealer of those bikes local to you. if looking for full suspension, the newer the better, but even a few months old, and ridden hard could require new bearing, shock bushing, and fork / shock service.

When looking at forks, check the stanchions, if any wear, ask for a substantial discount if Fox, as a new CSU will be needed, or if Rock Shox, budget for a replacement, as this can be cheaper than repair.

If you want to ride off road, things will wearout / break, that's all part of the package.

For the Camber 29er recommended, good bike, as long as it fits, but the 29er model was only introduced in 2011, so the as MM notes, getting one could be hard.
Old 05-03-13, 02:51 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Check out an REI if you have one there. Good selection of bikes and shop support everwhere. I like the Scotts and Marins, but the Novarra are solid entry level bikes as well.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.