Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sram Red Etap vs Dura Ace mechanical?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sram Red Etap vs Dura Ace mechanical?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 03:41 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I found my post from the paceline forum when I changed over from Campy chorus 12 to force axs, using the Campy 48/32 crank, 10-36 sram cassette and Campy rim brakes. The change didn't add any weight to the bike.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=255165

Disc brakes added quite a bit to my total bike weight, even with my Cinelli superstar frames that are 200 grams lighter. The same level wheelset added 100 grams and the rotors added about 250. The brake calipers are about the same. Changing from 25mm tubed tires to 28mm tubeless was a wash. When I switched from my Campy crank to the grx, another 100-150 was added with the wheels manufacturing thread together BB. I added some weight to get a 46/30 crank.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 02-21-21 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-23-21, 07:50 PM
Ataylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
It should fit. Can't see why it wouldn't.
It was available on the 2016 Roubaix Comp SL4.
Only frames it wouldn't fit are those with external gear cable routing in which case there are no holes to get the wires through the frame and sticking them on the outside would be rather ugly.
What the heck happened to the forum? Anyway...sorry for the late reply. I called Specialized and it seems as though I was given wrong information a while back? First I was told that it's not compatible and now I'm being told that it is. So...I don't know what to believe at this point.

Anyway, I own the Sport, not the Comp. I wonder if that would change anything? Either way, I guess I'll figure out what is and isn't compatible once I place the order and give the groupset to the tech. I am glad that you brought it up, though, which compelled me to ask again. So thanks a lot for that.

I've decided to go with the Ultegra Di2 groupset. I've used mechanical for years and want to give electric a try. So many positive reviews and only a small handful of "negative" reviews. And even those reviews are based on arguments centered around the battery, which, for most people, I would imagine will never serve as a problem. I get the arguments presented by both camps, but for me, I can see the attraction in mechanical. No more missed shifts, no more maintaining shift quality (i.e. for the most part, set it once and forget it), easier shifts, etc. But the only way for me to know whether or not electric is for me (and in all honesty, it might not be), is to try it. So no more reviews. No more test rides. A full season of Di2 will confirm with absolute certainty how I feel about it.

With that being said, thanks again to you and to everyone else for chiming in and helping. Really glad a forum like this exists with so many passionate and educated people.
Old 02-23-21, 08:08 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
How long until current gen Ultegra Di2 becomes $1200? That's the price point at which I'd try wireless. Unless a wireless 105 comes out...
Old 02-24-21, 12:11 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Prices for Di2 are not likely to drop much, since you'll see the new 12 speed DA model later this year. Ultegra 12 won't follow for at least another year. Expect microspline hubs and more expensive cassettes, like the MTB products. Ultegra Di2 11 speed will be cheap on closeout sales in a couple of years.
Old 02-25-21, 09:39 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
How long until current gen Ultegra Di2 becomes $1200? That's the price point at which I'd try wireless. Unless a wireless 105 comes out...
A Di2 shift kit is about $1200 if you have a bike you want to upgrade.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...it-112246.html