Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does my bike really make me a black sheep of the community?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does my bike really make me a black sheep of the community?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-18, 08:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Pretty much no one is going to notice on your ride if you have a department store bike.
I might notice, just because I like looking at other people's bikes to see what they're riding, but I won't care. Both of my bikes are department store bikes, one is just a little higher quality than the other.
Old 08-28-18, 08:26 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It cut's both ways.

Guys on $6k bikes look down their noses at guys on inexpensive bikes.

Guys who choose not to spend so much money say that the guys on expensive bikes are pretentious snobs.

Neither are guilty of having done anything more than just riding down the road.

You can't win.

-Tim-
Old 08-28-18, 08:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
It cut's both ways.

Guys who choose not to spend so much money say that the guys on expensive bikes are pretentious snobs.

Neither are guilty of having done anything more than just riding down the road.

You can't win.

-Tim-
Wrong. You win by not playing the game. Nobody's judgment about what bike you should have matters but your own.
Old 08-28-18, 08:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I might notice, just because I like looking at other people's bikes to see what they're riding, but I won't care. Both of my bikes are department store bikes, one is just a little higher quality than the other.

I posted above that I think a thread about good vs. bad department store bikes might be helpful, but I don't have the knowledge base to contribute much to such a thread.

Are you the guy?

Department store bikes are about 80% of the domestic market, and it stands to reason that some of them are much better than others, and that some of them are junk to be avoided.

Maybe just start with an explanation of how you came to choose the bikes you have, and whatever hits and misses you might have encountered along the way. A thread like that could do much to inform newbie shoppers how to separate the wheat from the chaff and counter the "you aren't serious because you ride a BSO" nonsense that gets pitched at people like the OP.
Old 08-28-18, 09:10 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Wrong.
I agree and that was my point but starting a comment with "Wrong" is a hell of a way to engage in conversation.

If we were face to face I would have walked away at this point.

-Tim-
Old 08-28-18, 09:10 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Quoting the OP's original message:" I kind of felt like that kid who gets told to come back when he's a bit older when he wants to participate in something." If this is the impression I got from going into the bike shop and having a long talk with one of the staff I would never go back under any circumstance. I applaud them for taking the time to talk to the OP but condemn them for having an attitude that left the OP feeling the way he did. I worked in a bike shop for several years and we were taught to recognize that not everybody enters the shop with a bundle of cash. We tried out best to match the bike to the intended use and not steer a person to a much more expensive bike that would enrich the shop. Too bad there are so few shops that operate that way today.
Old 08-28-18, 09:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I agree and that was my point but starting a comment with "Wrong" is a hell of a way to engage in conversation.

If we were face to face I would have walked away at this point.

-Tim-

Wow, I totally wouldn't have been offended if someone had said that to me. Matter of fact, it happens a lot. Lighten up.
Old 08-28-18, 10:22 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
[QUOTE=onyerleft;20530393]On the C&V subforum, they revel in low-quality components and bikes, as long as they're old. /QUOTE]

I get what you mean, but this sounds like C&V only wants low end bikes and components. Thats not the case, most seek a Grail bike they want or may already have (sometimes multiples of).

Yes just ride. At 24 you will probably outride most of the guys on new bikes once you have some ass in seat time. And that feels as good as a new bike if not better. And makes you a stronger rider for when you do upgrade.

Different is good. That's another part of why people like C&V. Not the same ol black carbon bikes that many ride....

Last edited by Bikerider007; 08-28-18 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added
Old 08-28-18, 10:39 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gvegastiger
I get passed all the time by older women riding 15 year old no name bikes and I don't care about their bike because I don't aspire to own flashy kit. I aspire to get healthy, take care of my body, and to get faster! I can do all of that on a hybrid fitness bike so I'm good. Maybe in a few more months I won't get passed by the elderly anymore, lol.
When I first started I got passed by runners! But I kept going on my Target Schwinn Comfort bike, then I got a Target Schwinn Hybrid bike. Neither was great but they were pretty good and I put a lot of slow miles on the comfort bike. I had almost the exact same experience at the bike store as the OP. It was a little off putting but I saw their point too. I eventually sold both bikes, even made a profit on one, and bought a bike store bike. I think what others have said about taking your time and riding what you have until you save up for something better is good advice. I wish I would have taken a little more time, because I’ve only had my bike since last year and I already want to upgrade.
Old 08-28-18, 11:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Brooke1687

When I first started I got passed by runners! But I kept going on my Target Schwinn Comfort bike, then I got a Target Schwinn Hybrid bike. Neither was great but they were pretty good and I put a lot of slow miles on the comfort bike. I had almost the exact same experience at the bike store as the OP. It was a little off putting but I saw their point too. I eventually sold both bikes, even made a profit on one, and bought a bike store bike. I think what others have said about taking your time and riding what you have until you save up for something better is good advice. I wish I would have taken a little more time, because I’ve only had my bike since last year and I already want to upgrade.

Well, here's hoping you make a profit on the one you currently have! One nice thing about getting more experienced is you also know better what to look for in the used bikes, so your options of getting good deals increases with time. You might figure a way to upgrade by buying something less expensive than your last bike.
Old 08-28-18, 11:49 AM
Milton Keynes

I posted above that I think a thread about good vs. bad department store bikes might be helpful, but I don't have the knowledge base to contribute much to such a thread.

Are you the guy?
I don't think so. All I have to go on is the two bikes I currently own and any bikes I've owned in the past.

Maybe just start with an explanation of how you came to choose the bikes you have, and whatever hits and misses you might have encountered along the way. A thread like that could do much to inform newbie shoppers how to separate the wheat from the chaff and counter the "you aren't serious because you ride a BSO" nonsense that gets pitched at people like the OP.
I chose my first bike, a Vilano hybrid, because I really needed something to replace the heavy, too-small Roadmaster mountain bike I started on. It was extremely hard to ride, and had I not gotten a new bike, I'd have probably given up riding but I really didn't want to do that. I chose this bike because I figured a hybrid would be the best compromise between riding roads, trails, and gravel. I was partially right, since it's great as a road bike, does well on trails, but not so good on gravel due to the skinny 700c x 25 tires. I switched out to 28's which work much better, but still kind of hairy on loose gravel. But the first time I got on this bike it rode like a dream, and since I got it I've put some 4,000 miles on it, including a century ride last year and another coming up this weekend.

In steps yet another Roadmaster BSO, one given to me by someone who had bought it at a yard sale for someone else who never used it (long story there).Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I decided it would make a nice gravel bike since it has 26"x2" tires. I didn't choose this bike, it chose me. The bike had barely ever been used, very little wear anywhere, just needed to replace the dry-rotted tires and replace the uncomfortable seat with something a little better, and now I use it as a gravel/commuter/beater bike. Being free, I'm not too afraid to put it through the abuse of gravel riding, which we have plenty of gravel roads around here.

As far as wear and tear, I'm pretty meticulous about maintenance especially since I know these aren't high end bikes. So far they've been relatively problem free except for the usual flat tires here and there. I did break some spokes in the rear wheel of my hybrid, but I don't think the wheel tension was set right. Plus I'm a Clyde, and when I broke the spokes I was probably around 240 lbs. I'm down to 220 now and haven't had a problem with breaking spokes since I got the wheel properly trued.

So I may not have high end bikes, but I have just as much fun on them as everyone else does on theirs.
Old 08-28-18, 12:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Wow, I totally wouldn't have been offended if someone had said that to me. Matter of fact, it happens a lot. Lighten up.
Maybe he'll walk away "on line."

Happen to agree with you. The only way to win is by not playing. I have a $6,000+ bike and I don't look down on anyone else.

Old 08-28-18, 12:30 PM
gtd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Labtech2000: If it helps, I've been criticized some over the years by a few because my "skill," equipment, or clothing doesn't stack up. Just remember that your critics are the tiny, vocal minority. You will outride most of them in one way or another on your

I ride a 30-year old Specialized road bike. Probably the first model because it doesn't have a name, just "Specialized." I bought it for half price at a local bike shop. The frame is too big, the seat is too low, I've never been and never will be fast. I crashed a lot until I figured out after several years that both wheels were improperly dished at the factory. I fixed it to perfection (and at no cost), and was then criticized for having a slightly mismatched washer on the rear axle. You can't please some people. I've added a rear rack, a frame and handlebar bag, and carry enough supplies that I can make my way home if something goes wrong. I've been criticized for carrying too much stuff. Meanwhile, my one bike serves many purposes. I've ridden centuries, shopped for groceries, used it as alternate transportation when my car was in the shop, commuted, etc. It's for fun, not fashion.

If you spend a little time in these forums you'll see plenty of photos of people in your exact situation who are just having a lot of fun. That's the point. Just ride your way and enjoy. I saw a greeting card that said, "You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that's kind of the same thing."
Old 08-28-18, 12:34 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Maybe he'll walk away "on line."

Happen to agree with you. The only way to win is by not playing. I have a $6,000+ bike and I don't look down on anyone else.
Right - I don't own a bike that expensive but I do have a $5K bike. I don't look down on anyone regardless of what they are riding.

In fact, I know quite a few people with very expensive bikes and I'm not aware of any of them looking down at anyone either. I mean, why would you?
Old 08-28-18, 12:41 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Like the song says, "Love the one you're with. "
Just ride. I have $3000 + bikes, and I have one I built from a rusted, stripped and abused frame found in a back alley. It's not about the money, it's about enjoying the ride. I wouldn't do the Tour de France on a dept. store bike, just as you don't need a big $ carbon bike to run for coffee, or cruise a path. Ride the wheels off the bike you have. As you build a feel for cycling, keep an eye on what else is out there. Vintage bikes are a great way to get into better bikes. Craigslist, local paper, swap meets, even Goodwill and garage sales are a treasure grove for affordable bikes, usually much better than a dept. store bike for the money. Local bike co-ops can help build knowledge of repairs, and be a great source of lower cost, but still serviceable parts. The most fun for me is hanging on a 40 mile ride with my carbon fiber, high $ bike buddies, on my old steel frame, back alley Raleigh, assembled by a rookie mechanic (me) out of cast off parts. It's not WHAT you ride, but THAT you ride. Welcome to the cycling group, plenty of room for everyone!

Last edited by Slightspeed; 08-28-18 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 12:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Anyone who seeks status ... sell me your bikes at fair market price and I will sell them back to you at twice that. Instantly you can be riding a bike worth twice as much.
Old 08-28-18, 01:05 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
My advice would have been to cruise Craigslist like a madman. Hoping for one of those "divorcee purges" of tossing the husbands bike out or something.

On CL I see bikes on there all the time that retailed for probably $750 in 2012 to 2014 or so going for like $300 or less. Yes, if in decent maintained state that used $300 bike is often "better" than a brand new super cheap special.

While components on more expensive bikes cost more, people spend more on them because if you ride THAT much per year you will go thru bar tape, cassette, chain, lube, tubes, tires.

Most bikes in that price range new, the cheap one, are meant to see a few miles of bike-path or greenway use per year. Most users never wear out the tires, tubes, or any consumables.

So, $300 a year for someone riding 4000 miles per year might be right. Set of nice tires, about 4 to 6 tubes, pack of bar tape, tube o lube, chain, cassette. Especially if you don't do your own work and incur shop labor on that yearly expense.

But, you belong as much as anyone else. Forget cost. Find a local 10 to 15 mile no-drop group ride out of a local brewery or coffee shop. Usually those are super friendly and inviting and a huge mix of really cheap bikes up to some bling out for some friend time.
Old 08-28-18, 01:19 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by gtd
I fixed it to perfection (and at no cost), and was then criticized for having a slightly mismatched washer on the rear axle. You can't please some people.
If I ever get so anally retentive and persnickety that I'm inspecting the washers on people's bikes to make sure they match, I hope someone puts me out of my misery.
Old 08-28-18, 01:33 PM
Labtech200

Bikes: Supercycle Reaction 700c Hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have loved to have commented and discussed more yesterday, but my account limited me to 5 posts per day. I just wanted to start by saying that I have read, and actually re-read every response here a good 2 times, hahah. I have taken your words to heart and am going to enjoy th ehell out of my bike and love every minute of it. When I can afford a slightly better cycle, perhaps in the winter when bike shops will be thirsty and stick up some sales, I may go to a bike shop and pick up a road bike or even just a better hybrid. I did a 6km ride last night which is probably pitiful for most people here, but considering that A: about 1/3rd of that was entirely up-hill, and B: I'm 5'8" / 270LBs, for me it was a victory lap. I enjoyed it very much, and though at moments it felt like my heart was going to pop, I kept in mind the things people said about just enjoying my ride. I plan to keep riding often and for longer and longer distances, and my goal is to replace my car with my bike for work commuting during the warm seasons. Your guys's responses on this thread have all been extremely encouraging to me, and not to mention entertaining to read and I'm really grateful to all of you for all your insight. I even got some DM's with more information! Talk about an engaging community of people!

Also, I just wanted to respond to a couple of folks who I was unable to respond to yesterday as a result of my posts-per-day limitation:
@Happy Feet - I agree that the bike shop guy was not wrong to not want to sugar coat anything, however I did forget to mention that he had straight-up told me at one point (and I'm paraphrasing here) to "feel free to come back when I'm ready to buy a serious bike". Paraphrased the wording because don't remember exactly how he said it, but those were his words and what he meant. It kinda felt ****ty. I may go to them for parts and advice, but when I finally purchase a slightly better bike, I think I'll just go to Consolvo bikes or one in Rothesay / Quispamsis.
@blazing Pedals - About the Shimano parts thing, yeah - I actually mentioned both at the bottom of my original post and to the bike shop guy that I did do my homework on the Shimano parts thing, and know that Shimano can / does make parts that are so cheap that they don't even advertise them or bother giving them their own model / tier; I had just meant that given a choice between something like SunRun (a chinese ripoff vendor of cycling parts that intentionally tries to look like SunRace parts and which seems to plague a ****load of the bikes at CT and some other stores) and Shimano ****-tier, I figured that paying the little extra that I could muster for the Shimano should be a slightly wiser choice.

I wanted to respond to many others, but I'd be here for hours I think, hahah. Thanks everyone, you guys are awesome
Old 08-28-18, 02:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I am saddened that we have been so decent to this new poster here ... when we all know that if he is Still enjoying his cheap bike a year from now we will rip him to shreds, as we do with every other heretic.
Old 08-28-18, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Labtech200
I I did a 6km ride last night which is probably pitiful for most people here, but considering that A: about 1/3rd of that was entirely up-hill, and B: I'm 5'8" / 270LBs, for me it was a victory lap.
Oh, hell, yeah. Been there, done that, doing 100-150 mile rides regularly now. As the weight comes off, it gets a lot easier.

I weighed 321 at my biggest, and a whole lot less now.

I know what that takes to get you out there, proud of you, buddy.
Old 08-28-18, 06:13 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It cut's both ways.

I ride a $6000 recumbent, and I have absolutely no idea how much the other bikes in my riding group cost.
Old 08-28-18, 06:17 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Quoting the OP's original message:" I kind of felt like that kid who gets told to come back when he's a bit older when he wants to participate in something." If this is the impression I got from going into the bike shop and having a long talk with one of the staff I would never go back under any circumstance. I applaud them for taking the time to talk to the OP but condemn them for having an attitude that left the OP feeling the way he did. I worked in a bike shop for several years and we were taught to recognize that not everybody enters the shop with a bundle of cash. We tried out best to match the bike to the intended use and not steer a person to a much more expensive bike that would enrich the shop. Too bad there are so few shops that operate that way today.
First day at school: "I feel like I don't fit in and the other kids are mean - they don't like me"
First day at work: "I feel like I don't fit in and my co workers treated me bad - they don't respect me"
First trip to the bike shop: I feel...

Sometimes the answer is "suspend judgement for now and just give it time" not: "Quit going there now and never go back because of course, those guys are jerks". That's what I tell my kids and the same holds true here. Like posting a thread in BF worrying if they will fit in because of the bike they ride, the OP should just accept that a big part of what they are feeling now may be based on their own skewed perceptions and lack of confidence and suspend judgment of others motives until they deal with their own insecurity.

And that lack of confidence is perfectly ok. Blaming others for the feelings it generates probably is questionable at best. It doesn't help and only keeps the person in a state of not being able to emotionally handle new experiences or people. Every parent dropping a kid off at kindergarden is told that.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-28-18 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 06:38 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Labtech200
I did a 6km ride last night which is probably pitiful for most people here, but considering that A: about 1/3rd of that was entirely up-hill, and B: I'm 5'8" / 270LBs, for me it was a victory lap. I enjoyed it very much, and though at moments it felt like my heart was going to pop, I kept in mind the things people said about just enjoying my ride. I plan to keep riding often and for longer and longer distances, and my goal is to replace my car with my bike for work commuting during the warm seasons.
As a fellow large fellow ... I feel it ... and good for you for going for it.

The hard part is starting. Once you decide to get a bike and ride, and actually get that bike and ride it ... the rest is pretty easy, variations on a theme.

One danger about commuting though .... You will find that half the time, your wonderful bike rides leave you at your job, and you cant ride again for nine or ten hours.
Old 08-28-18, 06:51 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
There are a lot of bf threads that revolve around the idea that a great many people are very status conscious. I don't find that to be true at all in real life. Most people I know who buy really nice stuff do so because it makes them happy. They're not trying to impress anyone. And no one is really all that impressed. When a friend buys a relatively expensive new car, or bike, or golf club, everyone admires it and compliments the purchase. It's a form of social lubrication. But the next day and thereafter, everyone continues to drive their own cars and play with their own toys and no one is really concerned with what anyone else is using.

When it comes to fitting in with a group of riders, I think the only thing that matters with most groups is your ability to hold your line and keep up with the pace. You may be able to find a few groups that really care what you're riding, but who wants to associate with people like that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.