Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

gearing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 03:49 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've never liked ratios. Too hard to remember and keep straight. I find the ancient and granted archaic system of "gear inches" is the easiest to remember and visualize.

OP, "gear inches" is simply the wheel an early bike rider on the high-wheeler of the 1880s was riding. (Also your kid's tricycle.) Both travel one wheel circumference with one complete pedal revolution.

Then chains came along. Suddenly anybody could ride any "wheel" they wanted. Since talking wheel diameter was accepted, people just kept doing exactly that, except now that "diameter" was the diameter of the equivalent high-wheel. Calculating it is simple measuring the outside diameter of the wheel you are riding and multiplying by the gear ratio used. (700c and 27" wheels with normal road tires come out close enough to 27".)

Chainring Teeth / Cassette Teeth X Wheel diameter (27" for most of us) = Gear Inches.

Gears over 100" are considered "high". Gears in the 60s, 70s and 80s "normal" for flat ground. Gears down to the 20s for climbing. Below that for fully loaded touring climbing.

Ben
THIS ⬆️ is the answer to the OP's original question!

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
If you want to work out the "best" shifting progression for your bike, this article, Gear Theory for Bicyclists, should explain it pretty well:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-theory.html

I believe that piece was written around the turn of the century, but most of the information still applies to bikes made in the 2 decades since. Good luck!
THIS ⬆️ is an excellent reference and explanation of the details beyond the "mathematical formula" that the OP requested!

For the the life of me, I cannot figure out why so many replies fail to answer an OP's question 🤔. Too many replies are how someone thinks a person should ride their bike. My personal favorites are the replies that, in essence, say 'just get out and ride, you'll figure it out on your own'. I do suppose that is now many DO/DID learn how to ride and I guess that's OK but THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION THE OP ASKED!
Old 08-28-20, 05:05 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
For the the life of me, I cannot figure out why so many replies fail to answer an OP's question 🤔.
I expect it's BECAUSE folks recognize OP is inexperienced and is asking the wrong question. People are HELPFULLY trying to lead him to normal effective cycling and away from fringe armchair nattering. He has enough on his plate w/o thinking he should consult a CHART each time the terrain changes.
Old 08-29-20, 07:24 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I expect it's BECAUSE folks recognize OP is inexperienced and is asking the wrong question. People are HELPFULLY trying to lead him to normal effective cycling and away from fringe armchair nattering. He has enough on his plate w/o thinking he should consult a CHART each time the terrain changes.
At the very least, the OP is inexperienced in how to move through the gear progression, hence the question as to the "mathematics" of the chainwheel:cog combinations. It's not necessarily the wrong question! A factual answer to the question would give the OP insight allowing for understanding the "why" that leads to the "how" to effectively use the gearing on any give bicycle. It's not "fringe armchair nattering" to give the OP a factual answer to the question asked. I believe though, that some of the opinions offered clearly fall into that category!