Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: How do You Drink?
Bottle from cage or pocket
82.22%
Camelbak
3.70%
I can't ride one handed, I stop to drink
13.33%
I don't ride long enough to need hydration
0.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

How do You Drink?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-20, 06:03 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
My grandfather told me never to ruin a perfectly good whiskey by putting something in it -- water, ice, anything.

I have always lived by that advice.
On the flip side, gives your normal everyday drinks a little pizazz. I love me some Rum and Eggnog. I was drinking a quart a day. Had to quit as it was getting expensive real quick.
Old 12-29-20, 06:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by devianb
On the flip side, gives your normal everyday drinks a little pizazz. I love me some Rum and Eggnog. I was drinking a quart a day. Had to quit as it was getting expensive real quick.
Aluminum rum and eggnog is a lot cheaper. And it doesn’t fade.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-29-20, 06:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I love eggnog, with or w/o enhancement. I'd weigh 300# if I drank all I wanted, I'm lucky it's seasonal. I try to limit myself to a couple of quarts a year.
Old 12-29-20, 06:25 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
My grandfather told me never to ruin a perfectly good whiskey by putting something in it -- water, ice, anything.

I have always lived by that advice.
As long as the whiskey is stored in the freezer! That's where I keep my Crown Royal - AND the shot glass... Goes down like the sweetest syrup, then the explosion of warmth when it hits the belly... The other 'mixing' boozes are stored in the fridge...

OR - if you're feeling tropical -- Try some Bacardi Pineapple Rum or the Cruzan pineapple-, banana-, or coconut- flavored rums with Hawaiian Punch - or with Dole Pineapple-Orange-Banana juice... (DO NOT USE Malibu, Parrot Bay or those other ultra-sweet cordial rums)

Wife like the Pineapple or Coconut-flavored rum mixed with the Margaritaville Pina Colada drink mix tubes https://www.margaritavillefoods.com/...html?dc_id=292
Old 12-29-20, 06:41 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I love eggnog, with or w/o enhancement. I'd weigh 300# if I drank all I wanted, I'm lucky it's seasonal. I try to limit myself to a couple of quarts a year.
We somehow wound up with a huge bottle of dark rum we didn’t drink. One Christmas we decided to put some in eggnog. We drank a lot of eggnog that season.
Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-29-20, 06:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Your supposed to drink slowly enough so that the fluids warm up inside your mouth and mix with a sufficient amount of saliva before swallowing if you are concerned about hydrating yourself properly.
Speaking of feasible - you cannot do your "proper hydrating" and win a race in hot weather.

I never put ice in my bottles or make any attempt to keep the contents cool. I also don't drink plain water. I always use Vitalyte (2 scoops) in my bottle. I can drink 1/3 of a bottle or more at a time and do often. Easier if the contents are 80 degrees or higher. For me, drinking enough is paramount. Drinking a fluid that goes down easy, gets absorbed fast and always stays down allows me to do that.

Edit: got sidetracked and forgot the question. I always drink from bottles. In King SS cages, 2-3 per bike except I still have a couple of TAs in use. (TA cages, the cage just as good as the Kings except their lifespan is shorter. For me, a little tired in 10 years. But almost always still usable after 20. Can't tell you how long Kings go. And I might not live that long.) I never stop to drink unless I have put the under the DT bottle into rotation. (Used to race.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-29-20 at 06:57 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-29-20, 07:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Some people have to have red bottle cages to match their red gloves. I just ride my bike. Alum cages are fine and give nothing away to ti cages. I have both. I use the alum and if it breaks 10 years later, I spend another $6 to replace it. The ti is overkill and more of a status thing when you're riding 3 MPH. I have been using the same alum cages on my mountain bike bombing down bumpy rutted dirt trails at 30 MPH and have never broken an alum cage in 15 years. And if in the next 5 years one breaks, I'll spend another $6
"Alum cages are fine and give nothing away ..." No. They give waterbottles away, often on fast descents. (Unless you are willing to stop, turn around and ride back up to get it.

Almost every aluminum cage I have ever owned has broken on a ride and shed the bottle. A shed bottle on a fast group ride on a long descent on a hot day? Could well be a nightmare to forget. (Either you- dehydration or those behind you who might hit it.)

Related aside. When I raced, in the '70s, we all knew the steel TAs worked. (I've broken TAs. But they have always gotten the bottle home. Usually I noted the break in the garage.) In the '80s. weight became "the thing", new aluminum cages flooded the market and US importers stopped ordering TAs. I'd ask about them at bike shops. Had several owners tell me over a span of years that TA still made them because pro riders demanded them. No, not the big name riders in the photos and film. The lowly domestics who do the hard work mid-race, get dropped and finish long after the camera crews went home. These are the blue collar guys of the peloton. Their work was done, BUT they had to finish inside the time limit to start tomorrow's stage and do it all over again. For them, losing a bottle or breaking a cage on a mountain descent long after the support cars went up the road could be career ending. Steel cages - think job security.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-29-20, 07:38 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
When I use to live in the Mojave Desert area of California I carried 3 24 ounce Polar bottles and a 70-ounce Camelback on long rides due to the heat, and due to I was riding in the mountains where there weren't too many places to refill, so I carried what I needed, drinking roughly 34 ounces of water per hour gave me a run time of 4 to 5 hours. The small 70 ounce Camelback wasn't too bad on my back in regards to weight.

Now that I no longer live in the desert on most rides all I need is 2 bottles for a 4 to 5-hour ride...but, I can refill them now since I'm never too far from a water source.

Of course, when I go bike camping I carry enough to have water to cook with as well as to drink.
Old 12-29-20, 07:45 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I always stop to drink and use the break to stretch as well. I find that taking a break is nice and stretching really helps with tight muscles that cycling for hours seems to induce. I prefer handlebar mount on my vintage road bikes but a few of my bikes have braze on down tube mounts but the bottle top gets road grime. No perfect world but a clean bottle top is preferred. I put Nuun in the water and that helps with fatigue , especially the caffeinated one!
Old 12-29-20, 07:48 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
If it’s truly “perfectly good” whisky then it has no e.
I'll drink Bourbon and Rye, but prefer proper Whisky every day of the week, and twice on Saturday. ALWAYS served neat, unless it's cask strength - in which case it might get a few drops of water.

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
As long as the whiskey is stored in the freezer! That's where I keep my Crown Royal - AND the shot glass... Goes down like the sweetest syrup, then the explosion of warmth when it hits the belly... The other 'mixing' boozes are stored in the fridge...
Crown Royal? The only time I buy that is when my father-in-law visits, so he won't drink my Scotch. When he leaves, I pour out the remainder or my wife cooks with it.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
"Alum cages are fine and give nothing away ..." No. They give waterbottles away, often on fast descents. (Unless you are willing to stop, turn around and ride back up to get it.

Almost every aluminum cage I have ever owned has broken on a ride and shed the bottle. A shed bottle on a fast group ride on a long descent on a hot day? Could well be a nightmare to forget. (Either you- dehydration or those behind you who might hit it.)
Yep. Though I suppose that if you only ride on smooth roads and never cross RR tracks, aluminum cages might work fine. My oldest pair of King Iris cages, on the other hand, have never lost a bottle after 15 years and at least 40,000 miles. Right now, they are on my gravel bike, and have held bottles securely on some insanely rough, high-speed descents.
Old 12-29-20, 07:55 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Koyote

Yep. Though I suppose that if you only ride on smooth roads and never cross RR tracks, aluminum cages might work fine. My oldest pair of King Iris cages, on the other hand, have never lost a bottle after 15 years and at least 40,000 miles. Right now, they are on my gravel bike, and have held bottles securely on some insanely rough, high-speed descents.
If you always ride smooth roads, all that changes is that it takes 3 times as long for that aluminum cage to break. Still breaks on the road and probably on a descent.

I have many times stuffed bottles into my Kings crooked. Looked down 20 miles later and it's still crooked, just like I stuffed it!
Old 12-29-20, 07:57 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
From a wine glass.
Old 12-29-20, 08:29 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Crown Royal? The only time I buy that is when my father-in-law visits, so he won't drink my Scotch. When he leaves, I pour out the remainder or my wife cooks with it.
My Old Man was a Scotch drinker - never liked that or Irish whisky either... Bourbons? Nope, but that was my sister's choice.. Wife likes her Jack Daniels... Why I like Canadian, I don't know...
Old 12-29-20, 09:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
The only thing Crown Royal is good for is the purple bag. I keep my CO2 cartridges in one in my bike junk cupboard.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-29-20, 09:45 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The only thing Crown Royal is good for is the purple bag. I keep my CO2 cartridges in one in my bike junk cupboard.
Heh! Up here, in t'Hoamland, one prefers one of three for a regular tipple: C.C., Crown Royal, or Forty Creek. There are some outliers who go for Wiser, but in the main it's one of those three.

C.C. man myself. I recall that Crown was the thing at the yacht club when I was a yute, but I never got on with it. Could have been the pompous bottle shape ... dunno.
Old 12-29-20, 09:55 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj

OR - if you're feeling tropical -- Try some Bacardi Pineapple Rum or the Cruzan pineapple-, banana-, or coconut- flavored rums with Hawaiian Punch - or with Dole Pineapple-Orange-Banana juice... (DO NOT USE Malibu, Parrot Bay or those other ultra-sweet cordial rums)

Wife like the Pineapple or Coconut-flavored rum mixed with the Margaritaville Pina Colada drink mix tubes https://www.margaritavillefoods.com/...html?dc_id=292
Oh dear, no. I'm afraid we must differ! A good whiskey (or whisky) should never be stored or served at other than room temperature. Vodka, yes -- no question: ice cold, straight up, with just a dash of ground pepper .... yum.

As far as the other things you mention are concerned, I'm afraid I have no opinion at all. Never liked 'mixed drinks' of any kind, not even martinis and so on. Like my poisons (or 'carcinogenic neurotoxins' as I believe an earlier killjoy post in this thread described the staff of life) pure.
Old 12-29-20, 10:34 PM
79pmooney

I don't drink much and keep it simple. Good scotch. Straight, room temp. But there was one mixed drink I'd do in my sailing days. After cold races, especially if windy and wet or a capsize happened (cold Puget Sound), a hot coffee with a shot of dark Meyers and a tsp honey really hit the spot.
Old 12-30-20, 05:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I've witnessed some impressive launches from those back-of-the-saddle Tri cages. Dodging an errant water bottle bouncing around amidst a group of cyclists will spike your heart rate.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-30-20, 09:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Your supposed to drink slowly enough so that the fluids warm up inside your mouth and mix with a sufficient amount of saliva before swallowing if you are concerned about hydrating yourself properly.
Just use warm water that you spit in..
Old 12-30-20, 07:24 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Keep one or two 21 oz water bottles in a carbon holder and grab as needed. Never really considered another option as my max time on the bike is 2.5 hrs.
Old 01-04-21, 07:31 PM
Brauer

Bikes: Home build on 2015 Cervelo R5 open mold 6900g fully equipped, Too heavy 2013 Scatante and 1994 Trek 850 SHX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I hope this is a proper answer to your question.

How do I drink?

I try to drink under way, before I get thirsty to maintain proper hydration.

I use the Camelbak large bottles that are nicely retained in my 18g carbon cages.

The bottles are filled exclusively with water.

While continuing to pedal I remove the bottle from the cage on the down tube with my right hand without looking down . I raise it up to my open mouth while tilting my head slightly so the left I stop breathing through my mouth and squeeze the bottle to generate a stream pointed at the inside of my left cheek to prevent choking. Swallow between breaths

While continuing to pedal I replace the bottle in the bracket, using my right hand.

It helps to practice grabbing and replacing the bottle without looking at it. This way you are more likely to steer a proper course and maintain proper distance from other riders and drivers.

The Camelbak bottles impart less flavor than inferior bottles and bottles of days gone by. They do impart more flavor than PET bottles that you can occasionally find to fit bottle cages. The problem with them is they aren't squeeze ready. They have, at best, a pop up top that you have to pull with your teeth or a screw top that is very awkward. PET bottles do not secure in bottle cages as well as the thicker walled, stiffer BPA free type 5 plastic.

When I get back home I have a pint or two of my ultra fine, hombrewed beer or alternately a can coconut water.
Old 01-06-21, 12:52 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Bidon when riding on paved roadway or even surfaces. Very pro to carry it in the center back jersey pocket.

Hydration pack when mountain biking. Taking a hand off the bars for more than an instant (while MTB-ing) will result in a crash eventually.
Old 01-06-21, 06:10 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
On shorter rides, I only use water bottles. On longer rides I strap on a Camelback, but more recently I've been stuffing the hydration pack into my frame bag and then snake the tube around the stem. I never stop to drink unless I also want a break.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.