Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on Bike repair stand

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 06:52 AM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 144 Posts

Good Morning,
I have come to the realization that in my restoration efforts, I need to invest in a quality Bicycle repair stand.
Portability is a concern as I have a few places that I could perform the restoration. Ease of use and functionality are a definite must have.
Another possibility would be to purchase a Venzo stand and mount it to my workbench that only concern their would be height adjustment and portability.

Got any ideas?

Thanks again!
TJ
Old 01-11-21, 07:57 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
A really cheap way to go is with a stand like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Sunlite-Dis.../dp/B000C17HJ4 placed on your workbench. It will hold the rear wheel off the surface which will allow derailleur and brake adjustment and other work. It has its limitations but is small and inexpensive.
Old 01-11-21, 08:38 AM
tjfastback66

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
A really cheap way to go is with a stand like this one placed on your workbench. It will hold the rear wheel off the surface which will allow derailleur and brake adjustment and other work. It has its limitations but is small and inexpensive.
Thank you Bill,
I think that I will need more than your suggestion as I will be needing to remove the bottom bracket, headset in order to clean everything up inspect and reinstall new grease. A beginners mechanics stand so to speak but not to cheesy to skimp on features. I really wish to be comfortable while working on the bike as my 57 year old back cannot handle bending over for too long.
Thanks,
TJ
Old 01-11-21, 08:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Something like a Park PRS 22 is probably your best chance for portable, but you'll pay for it. The two base arm stands will take a while to disassemble and reassemble if you try to pick them up and move them, unless you're going to dedicate a pickup truck bed to carrying the stand to different locations.

Bench mount or the aforementioned two base arm stands can work well at a single location.
Old 01-11-21, 08:42 AM
cloud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
I have a park tool stand and a venzo bench stand that I like a lot.
Old 01-11-21, 09:35 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Searched on Amazon for bicycle repair stand and saw several under $60 that I'd be happy to use. One currently selling for $53.99 is labeled "Amazon's choice." Most or all of the inexpensive stands listed there have bases with two to four legs that fold out of the way for storage or transportation.
Old 01-11-21, 09:36 AM
fifty150

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Allez Elite - Gary Fischer Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I just bought this stand. Feedback sports. They sell a Pro Version but its a lot more. Good price for a quality stand. Easily portable but solidity built. $139.99 free shipping.

https://www.als.com/feedbk-work-stand-sport-mechanic/p

Likes For fifty150:
Old 01-11-21, 09:45 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
I have these two Feedback Sports stands. I’ve used both for years to build and repair bikes. Each has its benefits but for heavy-duty jobs I prefer the Sprint. https://www.feedbacksports.com/shop/...repair-stands/

Old 01-11-21, 12:23 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
park pcs-10 best tool decision i ever made

Old 01-11-21, 12:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by fifty150
I just bought this stand. Feedback sports. They sell a Pro Version but its a lot more. Good price for a quality stand. Easily portable but solidity built. $139.99 free shipping.

https://www.als.com/feedbk-work-stand-sport-mechanic/p

I have this one and it's been excellent. Built up several bikes from the frame and lots of maintenance and repairs. Stores out of the way easily when not in use.
Old 01-11-21, 01:17 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Park PCS-10.2 is what I chose. It took me at least a year to decide between Park and Feedback Sports. Not knowing the details about what I'd need out of a maintainance stand, I'd read reviews and contemplated on what I would do with it. When Park discontinued the wheel-truing extension for the PCS-9/10, I decided that their next stand in ascension, the PCS-10.2, was more stable than the Feedback Sports offerings. I will use the bicycle frame/fork itself as my truing stand. Park PCS-10.2 is heavy but does fold down for portability.
Old 01-11-21, 02:20 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Buy more repair stand than you think you’ll need. You won’t regret spending more money on a good one while you will regret buying twice. I’m partial to the Park stands. They are rugged and well made. I’m not a fan of the screw down cheaper ones but those do work well enough.

I’ve owned a few repair stands. One was a Minoura that held the fork. It was mostly useless. I’ve owned a few Parks...a PRS-6 (made about 1995), a PCS-2 (pre 1996) and another PCS-2 (post 1996). I’ve modified the PRS-6 by adding making it taller (welded in a new tube) and replaced the spring clamp with an adjustable one. The pre-96 PCS-2 stand was okay but a little low and I couldn’t easily change it. The post 96 PCS-2 has a head that allows for adding an extension that can be purchased from Park. And replaced the clamp with an adjustable clamp. It looks a bit like the PCS-4 and is now a pretty good stand.

The PCS-4 is pricey...about $400...but it will last a lifetime. My old PRS-6 is at least 25 year old now and has been used constantly throughout those 25 years. I haven’t regretted buying it for a single day.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-11-21, 03:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I would go PCS 10.2 if you want an excellent stand that is fairly easily portable. PRS 25 if I am looking for really lightweight. If I want a BB mounted one I would do the PRS 22.2 which is a style popular with pro-mechanics. If you want a heavier duty stand the PCS 4.2 is a nice option and is very much like my old school one Park Stand but with a way better clamping system.
Having those micro adjust clamps will make it super easy to use on various bikes.

Like cyccommute said buying a top notch stand will pay off in buckets. Cheap tools are not worth it unless you are a one and done person which it sounds like is not you. Having a stand that is easy to work on is just as important as having the right tools for the job. There will always be cheap stuff but for the more serious user it is no more than stop gap or emergency usage till you can get the correct stuff.
Old 01-11-21, 09:13 PM
tjfastback66

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would go PCS 10.2 if you want an excellent stand that is fairly easily portable.
Looks like a very good quality stand, plus I need some good quality tools and know that park is always the "good stuff".

Hey thank you all for your great advice I really appreciate it very much!

TJ
Likes For tjfastback66:
Old 01-11-21, 09:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by tjfastback66
Looks like a very good quality stand, plus I need some good quality tools and know that park is always the "good stuff".

Hey thank you all for your great advice I really appreciate it very much!

TJ
Park is not always the good stuff, they make a lot of great stuff but there is some stuff that isn't as good as it could be but for what it is for I guess it ain't bad. A good toolbox will have a mix of tools finding the best ones for the job.
Old 01-12-21, 01:43 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Searched on Amazon for bicycle repair stand and saw several under $60 that I'd be happy to use. One currently selling for $53.99 is labeled "Amazon's choice." Most or all of the inexpensive stands listed there have bases with two to four legs that fold out of the way for storage or transportation.
Those stands don't stand up to heavy wrenching, you will be looking for something better in short order.

Old 01-12-21, 01:45 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
park pcs-10 best tool decision i ever made
I agree, we have 2 for our portable shop operations and they have stood up well.