Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

FTP Drop

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 07:36 AM
Tommytom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FTP Drop

Hi All, Just purchased my first power meter (Garmin V3S). Before that was using power on Zwift. I know it is only virtual but was able to maintain 250 watts or 2.8 watts/kg. Now with single sided power meter I can only manage to maintain about 203 watts or 2.3 watts/kg. Just wondering is this normal? Is power that far out? could my legs be that uneven? Sorry for the noobie questions
Old 02-21-21, 09:09 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommytom
Hi All, Just purchased my first power meter (Garmin V3S). Before that was using power on Zwift. I know it is only virtual but was able to maintain 250 watts or 2.8 watts/kg. Now with single sided power meter I can only manage to maintain about 203 watts or 2.3 watts/kg. Just wondering is this normal? Is power that far out? could my legs be that uneven? Sorry for the noobie questions
There are lots of variables here which make it impossible to answer the question accurately and in detail with the information given, but in short, Yes, your estimated and actual power can differ a lot.

The easy thing to do is just not worry about it and get adjusted to the new, real power numbers. Provided you’re doing the work, it doesn’t really matter what the output units are, watts or Martian blips. Most importantly, though the power meter is an actual measurement of power and not an estimation, so you can more accurately tune your training by eliminating all of the variables which come with the Zwift estimated power.

If you want to dig into why they’re different, I’d point you over to community.zwift.com where you’ll find several years of discussion on the matter. You’ll find, among many things, that saying you can usually “maintain” X-number-of-watts is virtually meaningless without defining exactly what “maintain” means in terms of conditions, duration, and assessment.

Make sure your power meter is calibrated, make sure your bike is properly installed on the trainer (esp. tire inflation and roller pressure), and you’re good to go. There just isn’t a great likelihood that your PM is faulty, so that’s what you’re working with and you might as well get used to it. If the workings of Zwift estimated power are important to you, go ahead down that road, but it doesn’t have anything to do with your power meter.
Old 02-21-21, 09:59 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,202 Times in 692 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums.

I had doubts regarding my Stages PM and Kickr bike reading the same.
I borrowed a buddies Vectors and compared all 3 PMs.
All 3 were within a couple percent.

If you’re really worried, find a buddy with a crank based PM and do the side by side comparison.

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 02-21-21 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-21-21, 11:25 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 490 Posts
Just wondering is this normal? Is power that far out? could my legs be that uneven? Sorry for the noobie questions
Ugh. All of those *could* be true, or it could be the virtual power from Zwift. There's not enough info to know.

We get power meters because we want them to help us answer questions, not raise new ones ("Is my power meter right? Are my legs uneven? Is my trainer off?"). There are going to be people who say "accuracy isn't important, consistency is the only thing that matters." Here you're facing a situation where accuracy matters because it would help you determine which is right.

There are are ways to check the accuracy of your power meter but with only one side it's going to be harder. The simplest thing to do is to find someone who has an accurate power meter and test yours against theirs. Sorry.
Likes For RChung:
Old 02-21-21, 01:35 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Very unlikely that L/R power is a significant factor.

If the Zwift setup is bike on a trainer that would give a direct comparison, wouldn't it?
Old 02-21-21, 01:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
We get power meters because we want them to help us answer questions, not raise new ones:

Is my power meter right?
Are my legs uneven?
Is my trainer off?
Does this power meter make my butt look big?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-21-21, 01:59 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Does this power meter make my butt look big legs look puny?

---
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-21-21, 06:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Does this power meter make my butt look big?
Yo, don't disparage glute recruitment.
Old 02-21-21, 07:18 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yo, don't disparage glute recruitment.
Yeah, bro- ya gotta uncage them glutes.
Old 02-23-21, 02:50 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Ugh. All of those *could* be true, or it could be the virtual power from Zwift. There's not enough info to know.
Unfortunately, I feel the new meter is probably correct. I echo RChung above.

Plain and simple, when I ride Zwift with a smart trainer I see all manner of odd stuff from riders on virtual Zwift power. Either reading way way too high like flying along at 500w for an hour at a time OR the opposite, so low the person is barely moving 1mph but spinning 100rpm or so wondering what is wrong.

For now, I'd trust the Garmins and eat some humble pie.

My 1:1 on this issue is that I used a spin bike in our work gym for a couple years at lunch time and sometimes even after work. It had a Powertab hub on the flywheel. It was a Cycleops I think. I did my intervals on it, even tried out Zwift by just changing the ERG power as I went along and "pretended".

That thing thought at the time I had done 20min at around 300w. I could NEVER get close to that outdoors on the bike, even for like 8min.

Well, it wound up it was a super generous meter on that bike. I bought a Kickr and that and my Quarq and even my junkie Stages all read within 15w of each other at that power. All of them reading lower. So.........I ate my humble pie and got on with it.

Just be consistent now to use the new pedals. If you buy a smart trainer, and it seems a bit too "off" from your pedals........tell Zwift to use the pedals instead for the power. Then you always are the same.

If you REALLY care, ask to ride somebody's bike on a fluid trainer that has a known good meter. Even then this comparison doesn't tell you much as theirs might be wrong. But if you get a third reading proving the same thing.......you've got a trend going. When my Quarq, my Stages, and my Kickr all read lower (based on workout results) from that spin bike........I knew it had to be the spin bike reading high.

Enjoy! Don't despair. Just reset the mind and go from there.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-23-21, 03:39 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Unfortunately, I feel the new meter is probably correct. I echo RChung above.

Plain and simple, when I ride Zwift with a smart trainer I see all manner of odd stuff from riders on virtual Zwift power. Either reading way way too high like flying along at 500w for an hour at a time OR the opposite, so low the person is barely moving 1mph but spinning 100rpm or so wondering what is wrong.

For now, I'd trust the Garmins and eat some humble pie.

My 1:1 on this issue is that I used a spin bike in our work gym for a couple years at lunch time and sometimes even after work. It had a Powertab hub on the flywheel. It was a Cycleops I think. I did my intervals on it, even tried out Zwift by just changing the ERG power as I went along and "pretended".

That thing thought at the time I had done 20min at around 300w. I could NEVER get close to that outdoors on the bike, even for like 8min.

Well, it wound up it was a super generous meter on that bike. I bought a Kickr and that and my Quarq and even my junkie Stages all read within 15w of each other at that power. All of them reading lower. So.........I ate my humble pie and got on with it.

Just be consistent now to use the new pedals. If you buy a smart trainer, and it seems a bit too "off" from your pedals........tell Zwift to use the pedals instead for the power. Then you always are the same.

If you REALLY care, ask to ride somebody's bike on a fluid trainer that has a known good meter. Even then this comparison doesn't tell you much as theirs might be wrong. But if you get a third reading proving the same thing.......you've got a trend going. When my Quarq, my Stages, and my Kickr all read lower (based on workout results) from that spin bike........I knew it had to be the spin bike reading high.

Enjoy! Don't despair. Just reset the mind and go from there.
How did you connect a Cycleops bike to Zwift?
Old 02-23-21, 04:18 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
How did you connect a Cycleops bike to Zwift?
Whew, it's been a while....I haven't been allowed back in the gym due to Covid stuff and now have a smart trainer at home. Let me gather my thoughts to remember.

This is for trainerroad, but should work similar to Zwift:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/e...-Cycle-300-400

You had the little "Joule" gps unit that controls the Cycleops. That connected to the Powertap on there via ant+. Then, Zwift could somehow see the Powertap/Cycleops using the Joule GPS as it had bluetooth and I used Zwift on my phone. Then I'd run a little video adapter cable to the TV in the gym.

On the Joule gps unit I would just manually adjust the ERG power command and "pretend" in Zwift.

Some folks got fancy enough to somehow get it to work with either virtual gears or added a real RD to it somehow. I can't find it now. Pretty sure a certain version of all of it could have Zwift give a command to the Cycleops and you used the virtual gears on the Joule gps somehow to change gears.

I never got that far as I didn't own the bike, it was the work gym's.
Old 02-23-21, 05:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Prior to getting a smart trainer in December, I was riding a dumb trainer and using Zpower on Zwift to estimate power. Using their ramp test, I had an FTP of 320. With the Smart trainer and actual power output, I managed 290. So, don't be too surprised if you're finding a power meter gives you 10-15% less than Zpower.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-23-21, 05:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Gosh, I seem to remember back in the days of Calorie counts that power meters were supposed to end this type discussion. Seems we just have an undying need for that ever more accurate number that doesn't allow any dispute.
Old 02-23-21, 05:38 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
It probably doesn't matter too much which one's "right." Just remember that you've got to adjust your on-the-road training to run 22% higher when the weather's bad and you're riding inside.
Old 02-23-21, 05:52 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Whew, it's been a while....I haven't been allowed back in the gym due to Covid stuff and now have a smart trainer at home. Let me gather my thoughts to remember.

This is for trainerroad, but should work similar to Zwift:
https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/e...-Cycle-300-400

You had the little "Joule" gps unit that controls the Cycleops. That connected to the Powertap on there via ant+. Then, Zwift could somehow see the Powertap/Cycleops using the Joule GPS as it had bluetooth and I used Zwift on my phone. Then I'd run a little video adapter cable to the TV in the gym.

On the Joule gps unit I would just manually adjust the ERG power command and "pretend" in Zwift.

Some folks got fancy enough to somehow get it to work with either virtual gears or added a real RD to it somehow. I can't find it now. Pretty sure a certain version of all of it could have Zwift give a command to the Cycleops and you used the virtual gears on the Joule gps somehow to change gears.

I never got that far as I didn't own the bike, it was the work gym's.
Ah, I never thought about the newer Joule GPS head units having Bluetooth and being able to connect to Zwift running on a phone. The proprietary Cycleops ANT protocol prevents direct connection to the bike, but that the ANT power (and cadence, presumably) signal gets translated to and transmitted in BT in real time is fascinating, and I wish I’d known about that years ago. It still may be handy for my studio, though...
Old 02-24-21, 02:05 AM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Most likely the Power meter is closer to the right value. It might be off by 1%-2%, but Zwift power can potentially be off by 25%-50%.

It should be fairly easy to differentiate between cruising at 200W or 250W. Just plug in the numbers in a calculator like Bike Calculator. For example on a flat it is the difference between riding at an avg of about 19 mph vs 22 mph.
Old 02-24-21, 05:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Gosh, I seem to remember back in the days of Calorie counts that power meters were supposed to end this type discussion.
Before he got the power meter, he was essentially back in the pre-power meter days. It's only off by a little more than 10%, which I think is pretty good for an estimate.
Old 02-25-21, 08:52 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Yeah, bro- ya gotta uncage them glutes.
Lol is this a personal attack