Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need locate a part for Kestrel 4000 seat clamp part

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-23-21, 07:21 PM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

My next door decided to take apart almost all components for his newer bike frame and gave me the Kestrel 4000 aero road bike. I thought I'd use it for stationary bike since I already have Specialized Roubaix for my outside biking. I was able to get all parts except for seat clamp that I don't seems to be able to locate where I can buy it - uncertain which one. I'm seeking your assistance for this.

Pictures:

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 02-23-21, 08:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Hard to see something that isn't there This is a fairly unique post and top clamp although the basic design is used by many. No surprise that you can't find a replacement on a bike made by a tiny manufacturer (who was bought and sold and their manufacturing "plants" changed over the years) many years ago.

What I would do if I really wanted this bike to be useable is to make the parts. Easier to start the drawings if you can find an image showing them. The clamp likely consists of two basic parts. Both are near halves of a tube. The tube is split down it's length. Notches for the seat rails are filed/cut into the split faces. A through hole allowing a bolt to compress the two halves together , with the rails between, and some sort of shaped nut under the part on top of the post that you still have. Andy
Old 02-23-21, 10:03 PM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Umm... Is it similar something like this:

https://www.amaincycling.com/giant-c...000048/p440696
or
https://www.amaincycling.com/special...waAsqmEALw_wcB
or
https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...EaAsObEALw_wcB

I don't know how old it is and I tried to google for Kestrel 4000 LTD images to get a close up. There is one and it seems that it look like this: https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/ritchey...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is my first TT Aero bike and I really have no clue!
Old 02-23-21, 10:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
The kind of bike has no bearing on the missing parts. The first 3 images you link to are from posts that have a complete and round surround for the linked parts to nestle into (much like the awful to adjust Bontrager posts of a few years ago). Andy
Old 02-24-21, 08:35 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The kind of bike has no bearing on the missing parts.
It sort of does. That's an "aero" seatpost and the remaining lower saddle clamp is adjustable for setback making it unique to that bike. Unless the OP can find the OEM missing parts, your suggestion to have the parts custom fabricated is his only choice.
Old 02-24-21, 08:58 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
You might want to check this review of your Kestrel as it mentions saddle clamp problems and has a video that, sort of, shows the clamp itself. Scroll down to "Saddle Clamp Issues" about a third of the way down and the video is right below it. May be worth it to find a work around if the better parts recommended in the video can't be found. Kestrel 4000 Review - Seattle Triathlon Coach (tritheos.com) Also the Kestrel website has an archives section that lists seatclamp as being a "Ritchey clamp system" for some of the models. Kestrel Bicycles | 2016 4000 Shimano Ultegra | Bike Archives

Last edited by Crankycrank; 02-24-21 at 09:18 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-24-21, 02:07 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I don't know about all models, but some used the Ritchey One Bolt clamp system and that looks like the Ritchey clamp will fit. https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/wc...plete-clampset
Video of the One Bolt clamp system here
Old 02-24-21, 06:43 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
I would talk to these guys to see if it fits a Kestrel 4000; either the tilt portion or the whole thing on a Kestrel rail.

https://mybikeshop.com/products/cerv...yABEgK4H_D_BwE

John

Edit Added: Also search for Ritchey TK Topper.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 02-24-21 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-24-21, 07:19 PM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you, guys, for being helpful.

Ordered one and hopefully it worked out.

Again, thank you!
Likes For JMH714:
Old 02-27-21, 03:22 PM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Updated:

I received a Ritchey part almost similar with above and it fits perfectly. I haven't put saddle on it yet - but the clamp slide in bottom perfectly.

I couldn't even find it without any of you point me right direction.
Likes For JMH714:
Old 12-29-21, 03:26 PM
jodiegilbert

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JMH714
Updated:

I received a Ritchey part almost similar with above and it fits perfectly. I haven't put saddle on it yet - but the clamp slide in bottom perfectly.

I couldn't even find it without any of you point me right direction.
I have the same bike and am missing the same part. Did the Ritchie work, and do you happen to recall the part number? (Fully understanding this post is like 5 years old, just hopeful)
Old 12-29-21, 04:44 PM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jodiegilbert
I have the same bike and am missing the same part. Did the Ritchie work, and do you happen to recall the part number? (Fully understanding this post is like 5 years old, just hopeful)
Hello.

Yes, it does work. And, I don't remember the part number (of course!) BUT I do know where to get it and I'll point you to right direction.

I really can't give you exact part number since all saddle rail size are vary, but go to https://www.performancebike.com/ and type in "Ritchey WCS Alloy 1-bolt Seatpost complete clampset." they have few different saddle rail sizes that will fit your saddle. If you're not sure what size, just go to your saddle manufacturer website and find same model and you can find the correct size.

I hope it helps.