Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

BTC Day 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 04:45 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
BTC Day 3

After all yesterday's excitement today seemed much more mundane. But for once this week we had sunshine and great temps for riding.

We had a hard rain again last night so once again we had to pack up wet tents. Then my sunglasses fell off my helment in the parking lot and broke into. I wear hard contact lens and glasses do wonders to keep wind and debris out of my eyes.

Before this week while today did not have any epic climbs I thought it could be a tough day-and I was right. The route was rather longish at 80 miles and was uphill into the wind for a long ways.

We had pretty flat roads for the first 40 miles so riding in groups was in order. Even with a good headwind we averaged 20+ mph for the first 40 miles.

The next 26 miles was steadily uphill and into a good headwind. We did Muddy Pass and Rabbit Ears from the West.

Once again I ran out of energy around 60 miles and crawled to the last stop at 66 miles. I had stopped twice before and ate a lot but I just can't seem to get enough in.

I took a little break and ate and drank more. I really needed my full concentration for the upcoming fast descent of 14 miles into Steamboat. I could tell I wasn't completely with it.

I really enjoy the downhills here as the turns are not as tight as the NC mountains. Thus you just tuck in and never have to use your brakes. However this one was more challenging. Without the sunglasses I found I was squinting and looking with just one eye. Then cars would pass me and throw up sand which would get under my contact lens. My eyes would tear up and I could not see. That is not a good thing flying down hills at 40+ mph. The closest call I had was where they were doing road repairs and they had put these large steel plates over a hole in the road. I saw it just in time to swerve around it.

Anyway another 80 miles in the books so that pushes me over 600 miles.

For the first time I feel pretty whipped. I'm hoping a nap and good supper will recharge the batteries. Tomorrow is one of our longer days of 90+ miles so I'll need the extra energy.
Old 06-21-11, 04:55 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I've done the Granby to Steamboat bit, and I did not come down the 14 miles into Steamboat at 40 mph - more like 30 mph. I was riding a mountain bike and it was my first experience with extended downhill like that (I had been riding only 3 months). Scary for me, easy for you. It was 84 miles from our Granby stop to the high school in Steamboat, with a very nasty last 4 miles of uphill to the high school when you thought you were done.

Congratulations on going so far so easily. Get some new sunglasses and keep on reporting.
Old 06-21-11, 07:56 PM
colorado dale
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
from a friend who lives near granby "I talked to the guy who has a bike shop in Granby. He says he had a lot of business from the Bike Colorado Tour. Lots of people riding on Trailridge needed brake pads.
Old 06-21-11, 08:17 PM
colorado dale
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i plan to be up in summit county friday (volunteering bluegrass and brews sat) it appears there is nothing on calendar at frisco and copper for friday eve
dillon (6 1/2 flat miles frm frisco marina on other side of lake dillon via bike path ) will have bands and food via bluegrass and brews
Old 06-21-11, 09:03 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by colorado dale
from a friend who lives near granby "I talked to the guy who has a bike shop in Granby. He says he had a lot of business from the Bike Colorado Tour. Lots of people riding on Trailridge needed brake pads.
I put on new pads before the trip. I had to grind them down because of my wider wheels. I looked at them this pm and a lot has been worn off already. I'm thankful I had new pads as my old ones were pitiful.
Old 06-21-11, 09:05 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by colorado dale
i plan to be up in summit county friday (volunteering bluegrass and brews sat) it appears there is nothing on calendar at frisco and copper for friday eve
dillon (6 1/2 flat miles frm frisco marina on other side of lake dillon via bike path ) will have bands and food via bluegrass and brews
Can you promise no headwind?
Old 06-22-11, 04:04 PM
colorado dale
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was Bike for free food day in CO (some call it to work day) At my 3rd free food stop, I was talking to tech / perhaps shop owner of Paul's Bicycle
It was his van that a lot of people crawled into at rainbow curve (ie the winter gate what u called mile 19) shops volunteer to help BTC
if you want to send a thank you for allowing you to huddle in the van info@paulscyclery.com