Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

2013 Bike Distance Modern Era Personal Record – 32 miles

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 03-30-13, 07:25 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts

https://www.280dude.com/index.php/201...cord-32-miles/

In 2013 I’ve gone 10 miles and I’ve gone almost 20 miles. I could have done the 20 except it was so cold my feet were numb and I cut it short. In my modern era biking (just started back biking a few years ago) I had only done 30 miles once and that was towards the end of last year. It’s not that I would try that distance and fail but more that I didn’t shoot for it. My trip last year included Mike Collins and Jim Kindrick and was a night time ride. It was great. They both took it easy on me.

Today we had an Easter celebration out at my dads house. I thought that would a fine excuse to do a long ride and go at least 20 miles. In my head I wanted to hit 30 miles but that would be a “right then” decision. I mapped out a route that would be about 21 miles if I strictly followed it. Bah…. I know I can do 20, why not do just a bit more?

When I leave my house and go through town I can head North and get on the bike path or head a tad bit South and enter the path there. Heading South adds about 1.75 miles so I went that way. One way I like to force distances is to put myself in a position that I have to do it or I just don’t make it. It helps me break through mental barriers. So now with the addition of the 1.75 miles (or so) the full distance I have mapped out would be about 23 miles (or so). Super.

As I was riding I found I was making better time than I really wanted. I was hoping to average 10 mph so I could focus on distance. My legs didn’t feel right going that slow. My worry was that as I got near the end I would have expended so much energy that I wouldn’t allow myself to go beyond the distance I had mapped out. I decided to just keep going with what my body told me to do and see what happened.

The bike path was full of people. Bikers, runners, walkers, etc. It was good to see people out. Only one near accident when a few thing unfortunately came together. It was an S-curve and I could see a full family enjoying the day. Mom and dad were walking and two kids were on their little bikes. They were all to one side on the corner just how they should be. I was on the inside and the parents were making sure everybody was where they needed to be as I was coming to pass. As I entered the corner (at a reasonable pace) another biker came from the opposite direction hugging the inside (where the family was) and we had a situation. He started to brake but I opted to ride off the path to the right (good berm there) and he corrected his course and came into the lane I previously was in. A bunch of loud “Thanks!” from everybody and all was good. Nobody was at fault, everybody was doing good, and things worked out.

At some point I would have to make a decision about my distance. I would be coming into a town called Casstown (Ohio) and if I turned right my dad’s house was a bit over a mile away. If I went that way I would stop when I got there and have the 23 miles (or so) done. Decisions, decisions!

I got to Casstown and check my distance. 22 miles. Dang. I was tired. My pace had taken my energy. However I wanted that 30 miles. I went straight thinking I would go around the block (large farm area blocks). In the end I pulled into my dad’s house with 32.75 miles. A new modern era PR. Super.

This ride did several things. It burned some calories for sure. It increased conditioning so I can do more 30 milers. It also worked on my Mule. Visit that link for more on my Mule. Basically it is mental conditioning.

All things said it was a great ride.

Link to ride: https://www.endomondo.com/workouts/171475544/1019918

Last edited by WonderMonkey; 03-30-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-30-13, 07:51 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Nice ride there monkey.

OK, now that you're at 30, there's no reason you can't do 50.... or more. Push yourself! Make it happen!
Old 03-30-13, 07:57 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Nice ride there monkey.

OK, now that you're at 30, there's no reason you can't do 50.... or more. Push yourself! Make it happen!
YAH! Everything he said!!!
Old 03-30-13, 08:01 PM
WonderMonkey

Thanks! I'm a fat-ass on a hybrid but I felt good about the 30.

The good thing about it taking 2.5 hours is that I think I can fit that in once a weekend. If I get my normal 10-15 milers in a few times a week and do the 30 miles on the weekends I think I can up it to 45 miles averaging 15 mph in a month or so. We shall see.
Old 03-30-13, 08:04 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Thanks for sharing and KUDOS on your new personal best. I certainly know that feeling.

Keep it up and you'll easily surpass greater distances in no time
Old 03-30-13, 08:15 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Thanks! I'm a fat-ass on a hybrid but I felt good about the 30.

The good thing about it taking 2.5 hours is that I think I can fit that in once a weekend. If I get my normal 10-15 milers in a few times a week and do the 30 miles on the weekends I think I can up it to 45 miles averaging 15 mph in a month or so. We shall see.
Of course you can! You're pretty close as it is, and really, cycling on a MUP with crowds will always slow you down.
Old 03-30-13, 09:12 PM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice Job!!!
Old 03-30-13, 09:34 PM
GeoBigJon

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good deal congrats!
Old 03-30-13, 11:06 PM
WonderMonkey

Thanks everybody. I liked biking on the MUP because it was good to see everybody out with their families. Everybody is polite for the most part and the occasional person who isn't is just that... an occasional person.
Old 03-31-13, 12:04 AM
AWB

Bikes: 2013 Reid Aquila, 2013 Reid X126

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations, that is fantastic
Old 03-31-13, 08:10 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job! I think my wife's my longest distance is around 32 miles. We wound up doing it on mountain bikes along the C&O Canal a few years ago. While we were both pretty tired, we probably could have gone a few more miles had it not been for the discomfort of being saddle-sore! I guess some cycling shorts are just better for riding the road and others are better for riding MTBs. Our asses were completely numb!

We're going to try to be a bit more dedicated to cycling this year than 2011, so hopefully we can make it happen again but in more comfort. Due to a bad car accident last year, we were off the bikes for the season.

We've entered 2013 with a renewed vigor, so things are looking up for us!

Good job on your personal best!
Old 03-31-13, 08:22 AM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! I think 30-some miles is my personal best over the years. That was back when I was 15 on a crummy Royce Union 18speed "mountain bike"! I am pretty sure I can do much farther now, its just I never took the TIME. I hope to this summer.

Keep riding!
Old 03-31-13, 11:54 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Great job, I see a metric in the not to distant future.