Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Small holes in new Giro Aeon

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 09:41 AM
xtc14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I bought a New Black Giro Aeon over BikeInn, shipment took a little over 2 weeks to arrive, upon inspection it has 2 small holes on the inner liner, see pictures.
Will this affect the effective protection in case of a crash? or should I contact BikeInn regarding this "problem".

Regards

Old 02-14-20, 11:07 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
First, those holes are common on Bell/Giro bicycle helmets.

Second, that doesn’t mean your too good to be true helmet deal on BikeInn is true or not true.

-mr. bill
Old 02-14-20, 02:41 PM
xtc14

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, this is the response I got from Giro's representative:

Thanks for reaching out. Those holes shouldn’t be there. Where did you purchase the helmet. How long have you had it. and has it been in an accident. If recent purchase are you able to return it back to them. For further questions feel free to contact us. thanks,

So I'm now confused, lol
Old 02-14-20, 02:56 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
What I’m confused about...

How long can it take you to buy a fricken bicycle helmet?

You first bought one at Aliexpress, and freaked.
Now you bought one at BikeInn, and freaked.

This is not rocket science, buy a helmet from someone you trust.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-14-20 at 02:57 PM. Reason: ?
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 02-17-20, 09:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I don't find helmet's much cheaper online than at the local store where I can try them out. The few places online I see the same mfr and model significantly cheaper I'm not sure I'd trust. And I buy a heck of a lot of stuff online.......just not stuff that has to fit me. Even if they have generous return policies.
Old 03-19-20, 09:46 AM
SClaraPokeman

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I'm not expert--only been wearing helmets for 35 years, but those "holes" wouldn't bother me in the least. Notice that they are directly across from each other? I'd guess that they are part of the manufacturing process. I went out and just took a look at a Mavic helmet I currently wear and it has larger holes than those that are also directly across from each other. I think as long as something like this doesn't lead to a crack (which I don't can see how it could) the helmet should work as designed in event of a crash.

I've also saved a couple helmets I've used that have been involved in high speed crashes. Both have evidence of cosmetic manufacturing imperfections in the styrofoam liners, but that didn't prevent them from saving me from skull fractures (or worse).

As an aside, I've ordered stuff occasionally from Bike Inn the past several years, and I consider them a reputable distributer (a Spanish company that carries Exteondo which I like). I probably wouldn't get a helmet from them because I prefer not have that shipped from overseas and they also can be a bit on the slow side, but I have no reason to believe that they sell bogus or fake goods.
Old 03-20-20, 07:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,909 Times in 1,140 Posts
When I first started riding a brain basket was sufficient for races. Then it was a two piece fiberglass and foam construction. Now a plastic and styro-foam liner construction. In comparison my motorcycle helmet bitd, was fiberglass shell closed cell foam and thin foam padding. It cost-bout a week's pay($100). Today's helmet is over two weeks pay at $1200 and fits so snug I have no room for wiggle in it. I may get cut in two by a semi, but they will have my brain intact for a transplant!
The helmets are designed to prevent serious brain trauma in the event of a fall. Falling at 20 mph from three feet does not require the same protection as the MC version for 60 mph but today's helmet is better than the brain baskets of yesteryear. Smiles, MH
Old 03-23-20, 06:13 PM
xtc14

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SClaraPokeman
I'm not expert--only been wearing helmets for 35 years, but those "holes" wouldn't bother me in the least. Notice that they are directly across from each other? I'd guess that they are part of the manufacturing process. I went out and just took a look at a Mavic helmet I currently wear and it has larger holes than those that are also directly across from each other. I think as long as something like this doesn't lead to a crack (which I don't can see how it could) the helmet should work as designed in event of a crash.

I've also saved a couple helmets I've used that have been involved in high speed crashes. Both have evidence of cosmetic manufacturing imperfections in the styrofoam liners, but that didn't prevent them from saving me from skull fractures (or worse).

As an aside, I've ordered stuff occasionally from Bike Inn the past several years, and I consider them a reputable distributer (a Spanish company that carries Exteondo which I like). I probably wouldn't get a helmet from them because I prefer not have that shipped from overseas and they also can be a bit on the slow side, but I have no reason to believe that they sell bogus or fake goods.
Thanks for your comment. You're correct, the consensus is that those "holes" are part of the molding process. Maybe I haven't had a lot of helmets to compare them with, from Giro only owned a Transfer back in 2007, saved my head on 2012, then used Ionos, and now the Aeon and a Foray MIPS.

Reason I went with BikeInn to order the Aeon is that I like the design of that helmet and buying local was like $50 USD pricier. Also had to pay a fee for customs import, so it's not exactly cheap buying from that page.
Old 03-31-20, 06:26 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by xtc14
Well, this is the response I got from Giro's representative:

Thanks for reaching out. Those holes shouldn’t be there. Where did you purchase the helmet. How long have you had it. and has it been in an accident. If recent purchase are you able to return it back to them. For further questions feel free to contact us. thanks,

So I'm now confused, lol
They look like molding process holes to me... but... did you follow up on the comments above from Giro?
Old 04-25-20, 01:28 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Those holes are near the attachment points for the straps. They are symmetrical, so I assume it’s normal.