Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Airtrack Bikes - any opinions? NOOB asking :)

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 10:37 AM
Gaarci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hello - complete NOOB here with my very first post - I have been searching for my first fixie bike and found Airtrack Bikes for sale on the bay for $349 USD for 53cm 6061 aluminum frame bikes - I am 5 ft 10 in so it looks like it will fit me fine - based on my reading and watching videos it looks to be a pretty good deal and just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with Airtrack Bikes - sorry I can't post a pic until I have 10 posts - the Airtrack webpage lists specs for the bike I have pasted below - Airtracks bikes looks to be based in New Jersey, USA and have been in business since at least 2014 - I have found exactly 2 promo YouTube videos about Airtrack Bikes and zero reviews on-line which seems odd - they do have an active webpage and FB page - thank you!

Total assembled weight:
20 lbs

Frame:
6061 Aluminum Alloy Frame. Seamless polished welded seams

Fork:
6061 Aluminum Alloy. 1 1/8″ sealed integrated bearing

Handlebars (Riser):
25.4 x520mm

Handlebars (Bullhorn):
25.4 x 440mm

Head part:
NECO (1-1/8’ Sealed bearing integrated head set)

Stem:
28.6 x 25.4 x 80mm alloy CNC stem

Tires:
700C x 23C (100psi) road tires

Wheels:
700C 32-spoke, 40mm deep section alloy rims

Crank set:
46T x 165mm alloy crank set with 5-bolt chain ring

Chain:
KMC Z410

Bottom bracket:
PRESTINE Sealed Bearing

Rear hub:
17T Anodized fixed/freewheel flip-flop hub

Pedals:
Wellgo with toe clips

Grips:
Standard rubber grips

Brakes:
Front only. Alloy dual pivot calipers. Frame not compatible with rear brakes.

Seat post:
27.2 x 300mm alloy

Saddle:
Microfiber wrapped comfort saddle
Old 05-05-20, 09:31 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
I have only ever known Airtrack as the company that spams annoying Craigslist ads in the east coast and sometimes west. They look very cool, and I have seen posts on another forum where people spoke good about the ride. It's a step up from a department store fixie, but potentially a step below a 'hip' brand with large imports and higher volume.
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 05-06-20, 09:35 AM
Gaarci

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
I have only ever known Airtrack as the company that spams annoying Craigslist ads in the east coast and sometimes west. They look very cool, and I have seen posts on another forum where people spoke good about the ride. It's a step up from a department store fixie, but potentially a step below a 'hip' brand with large imports and higher volume.
Great info, thanks very much!

I ordered the bike and will post photos and first impressions when it arrives.
Old 05-06-20, 09:38 AM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
Crappy components on generic frames, this is pretty much the same as bottom tier pure fix or state bicycles. It's been said to death but you'd be better off with something from bikesdirect for that price point.
Likes For acoustophile:
Old 05-06-20, 01:04 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by acoustophile
Crappy components on generic frames, this is pretty much the same as bottom tier pure fix or state bicycles. It's been said to death but you'd be better off with something from bikesdirect for that price point.
Bikes Direct sells nothing like what OP is looking at, unfortunately. The frame, fork, and parts are all going to come from a factory the exact same or near in Taiwan, why not get the crap you like in the same price range? My first fixie was a State Bike that I bought a decade ago. That bike got me into fixie riding and lasted me 5 years with the "crappiest" TW parts ever, barely a lick of maintenance, and saw over 40,000 miles before I sold it to a friend who still rides it today. Oh, and it has the original crankset and wheels still...
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 05-06-20, 02:14 PM
Gaarci

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acoustophile
Thanks for your thoughts - I did order the bike and it should arrive this week so I will post some pics and initial thoughts to see what the reality in hand actually is and how it feels on the road.
Old 05-06-20, 02:16 PM
Gaarci

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
Bikes Direct sells nothing like what OP is looking at, unfortunately. The frame, fork, and parts are all going to come from a factory the exact same or near in Taiwan, why not get the crap you like in the same price range? My first fixie was a State Bike that I bought a decade ago. That bike got me into fixie riding and lasted me 5 years with the "crappiest" TW parts ever, barely a lick of maintenance, and saw over 40,000 miles before I sold it to a friend who still rides it today. Oh, and it has the original crankset and wheels still...
Thanks for your feedback - that is super helpful - especially your experience putting a huge amount of miles on your first bike even though it was a low price bike - definitely something for me to consider - thanks again.
Old 05-06-20, 03:07 PM
Gaarci

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Airtrack fixed gear bike, 53cm, 6061 Aluminum frame

Old 05-06-20, 03:08 PM
Gaarci

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry - I posted pics of the bike that were too big - will try to reduce the size so they are more easily viewed and attach again...
Old 05-06-20, 03:12 PM
Gaarci

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Old 05-06-20, 03:14 PM
Gaarci

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Again, I found this for $349.00 USD and free shipping on eBay and there are still some available at that price in blue and white - mine will arrive later this week and I will post pics and first impressions - thanks.
Old 05-06-20, 05:06 PM
GENESTARWIND

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
well you paid for it so enjoy it op. ride the **** out if it, learn and research and down the road when you want something more you can use this as a learning experience. Enjoy your ride.
Likes For GENESTARWIND:
Old 05-07-20, 06:46 AM
Gaarci

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GENESTARWIND
well you paid for it so enjoy it op. ride the **** out if it, learn and research and down the road when you want something more you can use this as a learning experience. Enjoy your ride.
Great advice!!
Will do - thanks!
Old 05-07-20, 03:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Never a good idea to buy a product and then ask "is this a good product"

Typically Neco headsets are found on lower end bikes and that is a good sign to avoid if you can. The frame is an interesting look but I got to imagine with full aluminum frame and fork with super skinny tires it is a rough ride. Ride it for a while, save up money and build up a super rockin' ride.