Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano SM-CB90 barrel adjuster and Mini-V

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 05-06-20, 08:22 AM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

Hi, installed Tektro 926 mini-v on a 96 Cannondale. I also put Jagwire inline Pro barrel adjusters. With the brakes properly adjusted I can’t get enough slack to allow me to open the noodle. Anyone have experience with the Shimano SM-CB90 in-line barrel adjusters? Will the “release” give me enough slack to open the noodle? Below is a picture of the item.
Old 05-06-20, 11:48 AM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I’ve just used adjustable noodles
Old 05-06-20, 11:54 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Those Shimano barrel adjusters look pretty nifty. I might get a couple. I would expect that they will work for what you want to do. That said, although it is sometimes a bit of a fight, you should be able to get the noodle undone without any quick release. I set up the barrel adjusters so they can give that little bit of room that is needed to pull the nipple free. That is my way of saying I would look hard at the brake setup before spending more money. What you have already can do the job, the Shimano thingy's just make it easier. The run to the rear brake especially can ... can make one use words that come out all in asterisks on BF.
Old 05-06-20, 12:38 PM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Those Shimano barrel adjusters look pretty nifty. I might get a couple. I would expect that they will work for what you want to do. That said, although it is sometimes a bit of a fight, you should be able to get the noodle undone without any quick release. I set up the barrel adjusters so they can give that little bit of room that is needed to pull the nipple free. That is my way of saying I would look hard at the brake setup before spending more money. What you have already can do the job, the Shimano thingy's just make it easier. The run to the rear brake especially can ... can make one use words that come out all in asterisks on BF.
One of the other reasons for looking at this gizmo is the hassle factor of working the nipple off the noodle. I want to be able to easily pull the wheels off the tandem when it’s on the rack on the back of the car so that I don’t taco the wheels while driving in traffic. The tandem fits nicely within the width of the Mazda5 I have when the wheels are off. I just ordered 2. Thank you for your response.
Old 05-06-20, 12:41 PM
Freerojo

Originally Posted by reburns
I’ve just used adjustable noodles
I was toying with that idea but further reading about those suggest the long term viability wasn’t that great so I went with the Jagwire inline Pro’s. The Jagwire works but I would have to screw and unscrew the barrel every time I needed to pull the wheels off to transport the Tandem.
Old 05-06-20, 01:17 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
To be clear, I have both in-line barrel adjusters and adjustable noodles. The adjustable noodle on the rear is more convenient because the adjustment is right where you need to open the brake to remove the wheel. Never had an issue with adjustable noodles over many years.
Old 05-17-20, 08:52 AM
Freerojo

Installed these, makes getting the noodle undone lots easier while keeping the pad position where you set it. In the words of the Mandalorian, “This is the Way”.